Fifteen

After putting all of the food into the cabinets, I helped Jeremiah and Elizabeth set out dinner. I laid out the corn and beans in their individual bowls before setting them in front of the chairs.

"Dinner!" Jeremiah called as he set out the silverware. Everyone, but mother of course, ran to their seats. I chuckled and sat down with everyone. Nobody said anything or touched their food until mother reached the table and sat.

"How was the rest of your walk, girls?" I asked as I ate. "Great!" Elizabeth said immediately, though the looks from Angelica and Margarita said otherwise.

"Alexander and Elizabeth talked the entire time." Angelica said with a slight eye roll. "Always flirting!" Margarita added, making Elizabeth blush. "Did not!" She argued. "Girls! Girls!" Mother said, all of us quieting.

"Elizabeth, how long have you known Alexander now?" She asked. Elizabeth thought for a moment. "A week. It is the first of the month, right?" She asked. We all nodded. "And Angelica, how long have you known John Church?"

"About four months."

"Margarita, you and Stephan van Rensselaer?"
He was a close family friend. Rensselaer is named after his father.

"Most of my life."

"And you, Y/N, and C/N?"

"Five years."

Mother nodded to herself. "Why do you ask?" Margarita questioned. Mother merely shrugged, her turquoise dress shuffling. "These just seem like important men in my daughters lives." She said sneakily.

All four of us blushed furiously and looked down at our food. I heard John laugh and I whipped my head up. He looked at me, eyes wide.

"Oh no." I heard him whisper. "John, how long have you known Elizabeth Van Rensselaer?" I asked sweetly. She was the little sister of Stephen Van Rensselaer. He blushed and looked down at his food.

"Years." He muttered. I nodded and smirked. "She seems like an important young lady in your life." I said, making him blush even more.

I laughed quietly and went back to my dinner. "Look at you children! Young love in the air!" Mother said. We all, Angelica, Elizabeth, Margarita, me, and John, spat out our dinner onto the table. "Oh dear!" Mother said, standing.

I grabbed my napkin and wiped my face before running for towels. "Sorry mother!" We all said. I ran back and started cleaning up the beans and corn.

"Did I overstep?" She asked. Angelica shook her head, hair swaying. "No, we were just surprised by the comment." She said. I finished cleaning and put the dirty towels in the wash. I jogged back to the table. "May I be excused?" I asked.

Mother nodded and I left the table, going to my room. I shut my door and sighed. Mother definitely overstepped. I went to my bed and fell against it, my dark red dress and curled
H/C hair splayed onto my sheets.

Thoughts of my kiss with C/N filled my mind. His soft lips and his gentle demeanor he only shows when I am around. I smiled gently to myself. He is just perfect in every way!

There was a knock and I sat up, my hair falling against my back and shoulders. "Come in!" I said. It opened and Elizabeth poked her head in. "Hello." She said, walking in. She shut the door behind her and walked over. She sat beside me and sighed.

"Why- Why didn't you let Alexander walk you home?" She asked, not looking at me. Ah great. "Well, I wanted to walk alone, collect my thoughts." I lied smoothly. She brushed her hazelnut brown hair from her face and finally looked at me.

I watched as her eyes scanned me for any hint of my lie. I knew she would find something if I didn't speak. "Did you want me to walk home with him?" I asked. She looked away and shrugged.

"He said something while we were walking." She said shakily. I gave her a worried look. She took a deep breath. "He said that you were acting off, that you may have influenza." She said quietly.

What the hell kind of rumor is that? Influenza my bum! "I assure you that I am completely healthy." I said. Influenza was not something to joke about! It kills so many colonists each year!

She nodded a bit. "But you did catch the cold last year." She said worriedly. That was awful! I was in bed for weeks, coughing and sneezing, always cold yet always sweating, weak and barely eating. At one point, it was so bad I thought I was going to die.

"That was a whole year ago, Eliza." I said, using her nickname to win her over. "I haven't been around anyone with influenza." I reassured her. She stood and I stood with her.

"If I had influenza, would I be able to do this?" I did a cartwheel, fast enough my skirts stayed, and laughed. She joined my laughter and shook her head. "No, no you would not." She said.

I walked over to her and kissed her cheek. "I'm okay, I promise." I said. She nodded and walked to my door. "Goodnight Y/N." She said gently. "Goodnight Elizabeth."

She shut the door and I grabbed a pillow of mine. I stuffed my face into it a screamed. I shouted, "THAT INSUFFERABLE PRICK!!" into the cloth. When I dropped the pillow, I collected myself. "Good for the soul." I told myself. Good for the soul.