Sixty-Five

After explaining the entire story in more detail than I did Harry first, the crew was blown away. "Does C/N know just how lucky he is to have a woman like you at his side?" One man asked. I laughed and shrugged.

I wiped away some tears that managed to escape and all of the men shot up. "No no no. Crying is absurdité!" One of French crew mates stated.

I laughed, the laugh in the way you cry, as they rushed to me, hugging me. "Let's drink yes? To you and your courage!" Harry said. We all cheered and headed for the kitchen. I grabbed the rum and poured it for all of them, all thirty-six.

"Not pouring yourself a glass?" The captain said as he walked in. We all faced him. The crew removed their hats. "Captain." They said in unison. I rolled my eyes slightly.

"I don't drink too much." I explained, pouring Jacob a glass. I slid it to him with precision, grinning as it lightly hit the palm of his hand. "Glad to finally see a lady on board. The stench of these men is awful." He joked. The crewmen gasped dramatically. "No argument there." I mumbled.

They all chuckled and I sighed. I expected the men to be clingy or uncomfortable after sailing beside a secret woman for two and a half days, but they understand. It brought a smile to my face.

"To Y/N!" Jacob said, raising his glass. "To
Y/N!" The men repeated. I grinned, laughing as they all downed their drinks, asking for another.

* *

I'll admit, revealing my gender has its perks. But it also has downsides, like how the crew mates won't let me do anything on the ship, despite Jacob's orders.

"Schuyler! Ropes on the starboard!" Jacob shouted from the back of the boat, or the stern. I picked up my skirts and ran for the right ropes. A body past me, grinning like a fiend. "Sorry Schuyler, I was closer." Harry charmed as he grabbed the ropes.

I scowled. He was behind me! Stupid men and their need for superiority! I turned on my heel, an idea igniting in my mind. I ran for the barracks, locking the door.

I ran for my bag and tugged out the men clothes. Skirts were slowing me, making me too noticeable. Solution? Go back to dressing like a man, but not to hide my gender. For fun. I laughed at the idea of women dressing like men for fun. Men would never allow it.

I removed my skirts and loosened my corset, so I could move around with ease. I grabbed the pale brown tunic and slipped it on. I grabbed the black trousers and pulled them on, tucking my tunic in. I tied the string around the waist band to keep the trousers up.

I slipped on the appropriate shoes before heading for the door. I left my hair down so I was completely mistaken for a man. I pushed the door open and strode out.

I heard Jacob laugh quietly, as if he knew my plan to set off the crew mates and their masculinity. I gave him a friendly wink and he pointed to the ropes from the port side, directly across from Harry. I grinned.

I ran to port side and grabbed the ropes before anyone else could. I tugged them down using all my weight. I grunted, both feet off the ground for a few moments.

I laughed when I landed, catching Harry's eye. His eyes widened before narrowing. I laughed again and stuck my tongue out. He chuckled and gave me a nod.

I gave a sly grin before tying up the ropes. I brushed my H/C hair behind a shoulder before continuing on my normal daily tasks.

I jogged up to the mast and climbed up the ladder with ease. I hopped into the crow's nest to tie the main sail. I looked up over to the horizon and froze. What was that black splotch on the horizon? I snatched up the telescope.

A large fleet of ships flying under the British flag. "British troops starboard side!" I shouted to the crew. Everyone looked to the right.

Jacob started barking orders to man the guns, draw the sails. He wanted us to go left, away from the fleet. I didn't argue as I started letting open every sail we had.

"Get down here Schuyler, before you fall off!" Jacob commanded. I turned and started heading down the ladder. I looked back. The fleet was far faster than we were. We needed a solution, and quick.

I skipped the last few steps, hopping to my feet. "Captain, we need to lose weight! They are gaining on us." I shouted, running up to the stern.

"Are in crazy?! We need everything on this ship!" He argued, turning left. The ship groaned and heaved. "Captain, they are far faster than us, and outnumber us!" I challenged.

"Y/N, what on earth can we risk throwing off this ship?" He asked, meeting my stare. I looked around. "The empty barrels and some bunks!" I explained. He laughed manically.

He pointed downward. "Go on and try to throw an entire bunk over! And don't forget, these men cherish sleep more than they do liquor." He said with an eye roll. I scowled and ran to Harry.

"Y/N, get below! They will blow us to smithereens!" Harry warned. I crossed my arms, the ships so close you can see the flags clear as day.

Harry scowled and started loading the cannons. "What on this ship can we throw over board? You know it and the crew better than me." I said impatiently. I tried to keep a mask of calm, but my heart was racing. If the British got to the ship, found a woman on board. I swallowed.

He gave me a skeptical glare. "Well?! If we don't lose weight, they will catch up to us! They will find us! They will find me, a woman. Not only that, but a Schuyler woman!" I snapped. Horror crossed his face as his work faltered.

"I-I don't know! We can lose some barrels, a table or two!" He said, heading for the kitchen. "Men! Starting throwing over anything we can live without until we dock tomorrow!" I shouted. They all nodded and left their posts. I looked to Jacob.

If he wanted to get away, he needed to listen to me. His nod showed me that I was now the captain. From now, until we get away from those blasted ships.