Seventy-Two

I felt sparks fly as Alexander lips softly collided with my own. I shut my eyes and gripped his shirt, pulling him closer to me. I felt him hum in surprise.

His lips were soft, like that small pillow mother got me when I was Rensselaer's age. Even softer, actually. He tasted like sweets and good rum. I felt his strong arms wrap around my waist and I arched into him.

I finally pulled my head back for breath. We both tried mercilessly to get air into our deprived lungs for some silent moments, eyes locked into each other.

I was the first to speak. "That was," I paused to breathe. "unexpected." Alexander finished. I nodded and released his shirt. He released my waist and I fumbled backwards. I straightened out my coat, the taste of him still lingering.

I felt the overwhelming urge to kiss him again, but I restrained myself.

The difference between Alexander's kiss and
C/N's was one main thing: Alexander was filled with need and passion, while C/N was filled with gentle waiting. I wasn't quite ready to admit which I liked more.

There was a knock and I straightened out my hair. "Come in." Alexander said. I ducked into the shadows, not wanting to be seen in such peculiar, suspicious conditions.

The door creaked open and I saw Laurens peek in. He looked around. "Where is Y/N? Her father is looking for her." He explained. I held my breath. I was in serious trouble now. I saw Alexander shrug. "She left a minute ago. Check with Captain Montgomery." He suggested.

Laurens nodded and left. Alexander glanced at me and held up ten fingers before tracing the letter S in the air. Ten seconds. He didn't wait to see me nod before leaving.

I let out my breath and waited, mind scattering itself across everything that I needed to think about; the kiss, British, father, family, the ships, the ship I arrived on, Alexander, his strange requests, C/N.

1

The kiss. It was new, welcoming. It was like it was meant to be. Elizabeth, like I have said before, is too kind for him, too gentle. Angelica was too independent, too all for women rights. She wouldn't let Alexander make a single decision without questioning his masculinity. But me? Yes, I have many faults. I ran away for example. That is not something that would blend with Alexander. But the kiss felt right.

2

British. I managed to lead a siege that had originally been on us. I managed to capture them and shove it in their faces that I was a woman. Father should be proud, but he was too furious.

3

Father. Was he absolutely furious? Or had my feat made up for it? Had I gotten in his good graces, or dug my own grave? I'm probably over reacting......right?

4

Family. Elizabeth would be heartbroken if she found out about the kiss I shared with Alexander. Angelica would be furious for two reasons, I shamed her for loving Alexander, and I broke Elizabeth. They just can't find out.

5

Ships. We doubled in size! And had information on the British like never before! We could easily take down any fleet now.

6

Ship I arrived on. From bits and pieces of what I've heard, it seems to be alright. Thank God watching from Heaven they are safe. I wouldn't know what I would do with myself if anything happened to those sailors, especially Harry and Jacob.

7

Alexander. My feelings for him were too straightforward than I cared to admit. I deeply cared for him, but not quite love. But I could if the thing between us evolved into anything. If.

8

His requests. Why hands off Laurens? I mean, he isn't really my type, but why do protective? Was there something between them? Like, romantically? I've heard of it, but never seen it. I, unlike most, have nothing against it. Everything else in his requests I understand.

9

C/N. Guilt ripped through me. I kissed Alexander, and passionately, when C/N was supposed to marry me in less than a month. Sweet Jesus, I don't deserve him.

10

I took a deep breath and stepped forward. I slowly left the barracks and looked around. Father was near the mast, tying some knots.

I walked towards time with my hands folded behind my back. "Father, you wished to see me?" I asked, forcing my voice into a steady tone. He didn't like at me, only take a long, shaky breath.

"Who knows?" He asked, shutting his eyes. I blinked, knowing exactly what he meant. "The family, Levi Montgomery, Isabella, C/N's father, and the sailors on these ships." I explained. He nodded, eyes opening. "How did you tell them?" He still didn't look to me.

I took a long breath. "After finding out that everyone was safe, I told my siblings. I said goodbye to everyone but-" I paused, taking a sharp breath. "I left a letter for mother." He flinched. Father, General, seen war, watched over us, flinched when I merely left a letter for mother.

He shook his head. "Did you deign to write to me?" He asked, guilt filling me. I didn't bother shut it out. "I-I planned my trip so I would meet up with you." I said shakily.

He clicked his tongue. "Trip isn't the word I would use." He snapped. I took a step back as he faced me.

"I'm not sorry for what I did." I said with pride. He fumed and I knew this would be an argument. "I'm not sorry for seeing if my fiancé is alive. I'm not sorry for using my own money that I've collected for twenty years to hire a protective militia unit on our family." His fury faltered.

I continued. "I'm not sorry for coming here, for saving your behinds! And I am especially not sorry for sailing the long way just so I could see you!"

Again, he faltered. Only for a moment. "Yeah? But are you sorry for leaving your family? For choosing C/N over your flesh and blood? For leaving a single letter to your mother, who was cared for you since I have gone to war!" Alright, I've had enough. He wants an argument, he's getting a storm.