Forty-One

After breakfast, I decided to check on C/N. I grabbed a few shillings and my hat and gloves. I put my shillings on my hat and slipped my gloves on before shouting, "I'll be back in a few minutes!" I heard a few grunts of agreement and left, slipping through the doorway.

I jogged down the steps and a few men tipped their interesting hats to me. "Good morning!" I said, my mood rising. They gave me courteous smiles and I continued on.

There was a thin sheet of snow on the ground, my feet leaving small indents. I looked around cheerily. "Good morning Y/N." A voice said from my left. I spun around and smiled brightly.

"Levi! How are you?" I asked, walking to him. He gave a small shrug. "Not fond of the cold but good." He said, looking at the snow. I laughed a bit and nodded. "Thank you again for walking me home last night." I said. He waved away my praise.

We heard a squeaking and looked down. A small rabbit was hopping past us. Levi yelped and staggered back. I tilted my head in utter confusion. "What was that?" I asked.

He blushed and ran a hand through his caramel hair. "Rodents just give me a bit of a fright." He explained sheepishly. I stifled my giggles and he shot me a look. "It's a bunny though!" I said, a laugh escaping.

He frowned. "It bites, has diseases!" He defended. I gave him a bemused look. I walked closer to him so he wasn't five feet away but slipped, falling forward.

Levi bent down and caught me around the waist, our chests together. I laughed it off and started to stand when someone cleared their throat. We whipped our heads aside to find
C/N standing there. I made a strange noise and stood, dusting off my dress.

"C/N!" I said, facing him. Levi looked between us. "So you are C/N. Levi Montgomery." He extended a hand. C/N, looking slightly displeased, shook it.

"How are you feeling?" I asked C/N, trying to ease the tension. He faced me again, blushing from embarrassment as memories no doubt flooded his mind. "I-I'm fine." I nodded and kissed his cheek.

"I should get going, I'm meant to be on a grocery run." Levi said uncomfortably. "Alright, I'll see you later?" I asked. He nodded and left with a wave. I faced C/N again.

His face was stern. "Who is he?" He questioned. Ugh, I could tell where this was going. I crossed my arms. "Levi Montgomery. Met him last night while I was walking home." I said in a standoff-ish tone.

"And then?" I frowned. "He walked me home." C/N visibly stiffened. Dear God above, give me strength. "Loosen up C/N! It was just a common courtesy." I said.

He crossed him arms with me, widening his stance just a bit. Was he trying to assert dominance? "So nothing else happened?" He asked impatiently. "Nothing happened! What is with you?" I snapped. People were starting to stare, so I grabbed his hand and lead him down an path between some buildings.

"What is up with me?! I literally say you in his arms Y/N!" He hissed. "Oh goodness! C/N, I bloody tripped!!" I fired back. He didn't appear to believe me, especially when he said, "Oh, you just happened to fall into the arms of a tall, polite, British man?!"

I threw my arms up in disbelief. "Yes! And why are we arguing about this when you were drunk last night, earning lustful looks from the women?!" I snapped. He shook his head. "Don't divert the subject!"

Men! "He obviously is jealous of us! He wants you!" He accused. I scoffed. "Oh, he is the jealous one? Not you, the one obsessing over the fact that I tripped?!" I shot back. He gave me a scorned look.

"Sure didn't look like a trip! You were walking to him!" He snapped. "Because he was five feet away dear God!" I explained loudly.

"Why are you so jealous? I met him a few hours ago! It's not like I am going to fall for him!" I almost yelled. "You did fall for him." He said under his breath. I groaned and shook my head. "I can't with you right now! I'm leaving!" I snapped, turning to walk away. I felt him grip my arms and spin me around. I slapped him across the face, my hand stinging.

"Goodbye C/N!" I snapped, tearing my arm from his hand and running to the street.