Thirty-One

I woke up in a cold sweat. But why? Oh yeah, nightmare. I tried to look back in my dream.

"Adieu Monsieur Lafayette!" I say as my brothers and I pass him. They were so excited to meet him. We passed an apple stand and I grabbed one, examining if it was good enough to eat, when I felt someone grab my hand. I turned around to find several Redcoats heading our way.

"John, Jeremiah, Ren, go to the docks and hide!" I commanded. "But-" "Go John!" My brothers gave me worried looks but ran. I turned to face the Redcoats when I heard screams. Everyone turned back around and I saw Redcoats holding my brothers!!

"HELP!!!" Rensselaer screamed as he thrashed in the Redcoat's hold. Oh no!! I left the crowd and faced them. "Y/N!!" John screamed. I ran up to them and started fending the Redcoats off, but I was out numbered. One of the men grabbed me and pinned my arms behind my back.

I screamed and kicked. "NOO!!! Give them back you ungrateful, rotten, petty men!!" I shouted. They just laughed and one holding me let go. I was about to run when my feet remained in place.

"Y/N!! Don't let them take us!!" They screamed. "No!!!! Don't you dare take them!" I shouted as I tugged at my still feet. Why couldn't I move?! I looked up to find the Redcoats hauling my brothers onto a British ship.

"NO!! JOHN!!! PHILIP!!! RENSSELAER!!!" I screamed. "Y/N!!!" The Redcoats mocked. I watched painfully as they tied my brothers to the ship. I tried to scream but no sound came out as the boat stared drifting away!! My brothers squirmed and screamed as they were taken from me.

Oh. I sighed and got up. I walked to my closet and looked at my red dresses. I took a deep breath and reached for my favorite. It was apple red with satin ruffles going down the skirts. The top was apple red and had ties in the center. I dressed quickly and put my hair in a neat bun before heading downstairs.

"Good morning Y/N." My family said as I walked down the staircase. "Good morning Catharine, Cornelia, Rensselaer, Jeremiah, John, Margarita, Elizabeth, Angelica, mother, and-" Wait, father was already gone. I just silently grabbed my breakfast and sat down with everyone.

The silence was tense, so mother spoke. "Elizabeth, what do you have planned for the wedding?" Our attention turned to our sister. "Oh, well, nothing really. We have only started a guest list." She said shyly.

"Nothing! Oh dear me! We have to get to work! I'll send a carriage for Alexander." Mother said, standing from the table. "He's with father. Not fighting, but helping plan attacks." Elizabeth explained, stopping her. Mother merely sat back down and straightened out her skirts.

"Then we will do what we can to get prepared. If he isn't going to be back till the wedding, we have to do it ourselves." She said responsibly. Elizabeth sighed quietly and nodded. She really wanted to plan with Alexander, we could tell.

We are our breakfast in silence, mother and Elizabeth planning the wedding after. I merely sat on the piano and silently played, my fingers dancing over the keys but not playing a single one. John jogged over and looked at me, then my hands, then back to me.

"Why aren't you playing?" He asked as he sat beside me. I pointed to mother and Elizabeth. "They need silence." I explained. He frowned and poked a key, a deep note playing.

"John!" I hissed, though I couldn't contain my laughter. We laughed quietly and I decided to play. I flipped my book of songs, settling on one to set the mood. It was a common marriage song.

I played a note, getting my tune set. I then let my fingers play as I visualized the song. John stood up and grabbed Cornelia's hand. They giggled and danced a waltz. I felt myself again and started playing a bit faster, making the tune lighter.

"That's it!! Y/N you genius!" Mother complimented, running over. I didn't stop as she looked at my book of notes. Her dark brown eyes scanned the page.

"Y/N, can you play the piano for the wedding? Only for the bride and groom dance and the father daughter dance." She begged. Me? Play for Elizabeth's wedding! "Yes! Yes of course!" I shouted, halting my playing to hug her.

"Perfect! Now we just need a pianist for the other songs. Oh, I have a cousin!" She said excitedly, rushing back to Elizabeth. I silently cheered. I get to be the pianist for my sister's wedding!! I stood up and brushed off my skirts. "I'm collecting letters!" I shouted. I walked over to mother.

She handed me five letters, each to a different address. Elizabeth handed me one, for Alexander. Angelica handed me two, one for John Church and one for Alexander. She wasn't fancying John Church, he was just the best choice for the eldest daughter to marry.

Margarita handed me one letter for Stephen Van Rensselaer. John handed me one for Elizabeth Van Rensselaer. The younger children didn't have any letters. I grabbed my letters to C/N and to Princeton before leaving.

My letter to Princeton entailed what extra classes I wished to take. I chose music orchestra and a law degree. Father wants a career in politics once the war was over, so I decided this would be my best bet.

I jogged down the steps and hid my face from the sun. It wasn't hot, it was cold actually, but the sun was still bright. A few clouds gathered overhead. It should start to snow soon. I walked into the slight crowd; since it was Monday, most people were at work or home.

I wiggled past people, catching a few almost pitiful stares. Women gave me polite waves and smiles, while men cleared away. Ugh. I made it to the post office and walked in. I handed the man the letters. "These are outgoing from Schuyler residence. Can I have any incoming?" I asked sweetly. He gave me a slight nod before going to the back.

I fondled with my skirts while I waited. You could tell the postman was a patriot, though he didn't dare hang up anything to show it, since the loyalists could raid the letters. The only way you could tell was because the lack of British flags. Before the war, there were a few. Now there are none.

He hobbled back and handed them to me. "Incoming for Schuyler." He said. "Thank you." I said, leaving once he said "You are welcome." I pushed the door open and walked out. I shuffled through the letters. Two for mother, one for Elizabeth, two for Angelica, two for Margarita, one for John, and three for me? I was about to open on when a cold sensation appeared on my nose. I looked up to find it snowing!