Thirty-Two

I laughed and twirled in the snow. It was snowing quite a bit for the first snow. Within minutes, you couldn't see the floor! I laughed again and started walking, looking back to my letters. One from Alexander, one from the shop where I get my dresses, and one from...Britain? I wasn't expecting long distance letters.

I tore open the Britain letter and read to myself.

Dear Y/F/N Schuyler,
It has been brought to my attention that you have connections to Lieutenant General George Washington, Major General Philip Schuyler, Major General Marquis de Lafayette, and Captain Alexander Hamilton. We are willing to offer you a considerable amount of money for information on these men. Name your price.
General William Howe

Oh sweet Heaven on earth. I looked around nervously before refolding the letter, ignoring it for now. I moved on to the next letter from Alexander. I braced myself.

My dearest, Y/F/N Schuyler
It has come to my attention that your heart is sent in someone other than me. Now that I am engaged to your sister, my dearest Elizabeth, I will succumb to your request and end my repeated asking of a day with yourself. I only ask one thing; we stay in touch. May we still write regularly? I am your brother-in-law soon.
Yours,
A. Hamilton.

I smiled to myself in small victory. He finally understands. I looked to my final letter from my dress shop. I tore it open.

Y/F/N Schuyler,
Due to recent events, we were wondering if you would care to change your dress color for every order from now on. If yes, we completely understand. Please get back to us.
Sincerely,
Impeccable Albany Dresses

I was approaching the shop, so I decided to drop by. I put the letters under my arm before continuing down the road. Once I reached the shop, I walked in and the tiny bell rang.

The wonderful women that work here looked up from the dresses they were making or the woman they were measuring. "Ah, Y/N! Good to see you!" Isabella Monei, the shop owner, said as she rushed over.

Isabella was a shorter woman in her mid twenties. She had bright blue eyes and sunset yellow hair that went down to her shoulders. She had fair skin and only a few freckles beside her eyes. She was truly a beautiful woman.

The only reason she owns the shop so young was because her mother passed when giving birth and her father passed in the beginning of the war. She was an only child, which was very rare.

"Isabella! Good to see you!" I exclaimed as we embraced each other. She stepped back and her eyes darted to the letters under my arms. "I see you got our letter." She said a bit gravely. "Yes. I would like to keep my color the same red as always." I explained. She looked a bit shocked for a moment.

"That is very brave of you. You are an idol to us all." She complimented. I did a small curtsy. "It's been a while, would you like to stay? Talk?" She asked, gesturing to a leather chair to the side. I nodded a bit and sat down, smoothing my skirts.

Isabella went back to stitching a white thread inside a navy blue fabric seam. "So, how's the Schuyler family doing?" She asked. "Wonderful. Father is at war and Elizabeth is engaged to Captain Alexander Hamilton!" I revealed. She gasped, everyone gasping with her. Perks of being a famous family, everyone knows you.

"That's amazing! When is the big day?" She asked, going back to work. This woman never stops working! "Two weeks." I said, setting my letters in my lap.

"Incredible! How is everyone else? How old is everyone? I haven't see you all in years!" She said excitedly. I smiled broadly, though she couldn't see. "Angelica is 23, Elizabeth is 22, Margarita is 21, John is 16, Jeremiah is 12, Rensselaer is eight, Cornelia is four, and Catharine is one." I explained, making sure I didn't forget a sibling.

"Already! I haven't met Catharine! It's been that long?" She asked, pausing from her work a moment. "You should visit some time!" I offered. She smiled and nodded. "Indeed!" I laughed a bit.

"What about you? Do you have any news?" I asked. They all squealed, scaring me, as Isabella held out her left hand. On her ring finger was a golden band! "Oh my goodness!!!" I squealed. She nodded excitedly and I examined her ring. It had an engraving on it.

Together in heart no matter the miles apart.

I put a hand over my heart. "That's beautiful! Who's the lucky man?" I asked, letting go of her hand. "Matthew Williams. We are getting married in a month." She explained with a bright smile.

Everyone is getting married! "So much marriage! Do you remember C/N?" I asked. She nodded with a smirk. "So he asked for my hand, father denied him. He said one of my sisters had to get married first. Now that Elizabeth is engaged, I'm getting engaged after she gets married!" I squealed.

Everyone gasped again and I nodded. "All this news! I can't believe we haven't caught up!" She said. Despite her owning where I buy my dresses, we hardly see each other since the dresses get delivered.

"I know! We should meet up more!" I said. She nodded agreement as she finished her stitch. "Can you stand dear? This woman is your size." She explained. I set my letters down and stood, extending my arms a bit. She held the top to my chest and looked over. It was a beautiful dress, really, but not my color.

She nodded in approval and set it back on the table. She grabbed a thicker gold string and thread it through a thick needle before going to the inner bottom of the underskirts. I watched curiously as she stitched her name next to the letters IAD. She saw me watching and pointed to her name. "Dressmaker." She pointed to the letters. "Impeccable Albany Dresses." I raised an eyebrow and flipped up the bottom of my skirts. It had the same mark inside.

"Interesting and unique! This is going to become something one day, marking products." I said. She laughed and shook her head. "A woman inventing such a great idea. Probably not." She joked. She does have a point. Men are the inventors.

I laughed a bit and nodded. "Probably." I joked. "Hey, would you like to come for dinner?" I offered. She smiled. "That would be wonderful!" She said as she folded the dress and put it in a white box.

"Anne, can you close up shop tonight?" She asked a brunette measuring an older woman. "Yup!" She said sweetly. I grabbed my letters and linked arms with Isabella. "Shall we go?" I asked. "We shall!"