Sixty-Eight

I looked behind us as I carefully turned the boat, cannons aimed at the front of the enemy fleet. No matter what, we would hit at least one. I looked to the fleet around me. Familiar faces littered the boats. My eyes connected with enchanting violet-blue ones.

I blinked and focused my vision. Alexander gave me a small nod. A conversation we will have another time, if we make this out alive. My answering nod told him I was thinking just the thing.

I diverted my gaze, stern eyes immediately meeting mine. Father.

His gaze was stern, yet worn and worried. He balled his right hand into a fist and put it over his heart. I love you he mouthed. I inhaled sharply, suddenly. The words...

I love you, too. I returned. He tensed a bit but nodded. I forced myself to look away. "Load the cannons!" I shouted, Washington following my words. "Yes Captain!" The several crews shouted in perfect unison.

"Cannons loaded, Captain!" Harry shouted. I gave him a firm nod, light smile. I glanced to the lead boat. Alexander was simmering with what seemed like envy. It, for some reason, hit home.

I forced myself to look away. "On my go!" Washington shouted. Everyone silenced, the only sound was the light lapping of the waves.

The British ships sailed closer and closer, not caring that their original prey was now teamed with an entire fleet. Shouts erupted from the ships, inaudible. I felt the entire ship tense as an order came from the opposing captain.

"We will not yield."

I looked to the crew, the boat. This ship wasn't meant for combat. We had two cannons, our only defense. This was a mailing ship, small cargo one at best.

I inhaled sharply. I wish my family was here. I glanced to father, who was eyeing the enemy ships with deadly focus. Well, family that was furious with me right now. I drew my eyes away again, sighing.

The ships were so close now, I could see each individual sailor. "Three!" I gave my men a small nod. They lit the matches. "Two!" Another nod and they lowered the matches, centimeters from the fuse.

"One!"

Dozens of explosions fired, all towards the British fleet. I screamed for a second, ducking a bit. Pride was the one thing keeping me from curling into a small ball and crying.

I heard response explosions from the British and men sprung into action. "Take cover Y/N!" I heard father shout. I whirled to him, just as an enemy cannon ball splashed into the ocean, creating a wall of mist between us.

Worry filled my father's eyes. Worry, and something I couldn't place. I gave a small shake of the head, turning to the crew.

"Reload! Fire back before they can recover!" I ordered. We managed to sink two ships. Two out of ten. Great. "Yes Captain!" A chorus rang, followed but shuffles and thuds. "Jacob!" I shouted.

The true captain ran up beside me. "I'll be back." I said, giving him control of the ship. He nodded and grabbed the ship's wheel.

I sprinted from our ship, crossing the plank into the other. I ran to Alexander, gripping his sleeve. "Hey!" He shouted as I tugged him into the empty barracks.

I shut the door and he whirled to face me, a dim light illuminating his features. His brilliant eyes were shadowed with concern and confusion. "What's wrong?"

I blinked and stepped back, hitting the door. He was too close right now. "I-I need a favour." I managed out.

He raised a graceful eyebrow. It seemed like I was perceiving him in a new light. "Will your father be upset with me if I help?" Darn. I didn't think of that. "Oh, probably?" I said nervously. He chuckled.

"I need to get on the leading British boat." He choked and staggered back. "Are you MAD?!" He hissed, collecting himself. I frowned. "Besides the point." He blanched.

"Please Alexander! It's a plan I have! I need to get on that boat!" I snapped. He contemplated my request. "How much of a plan?" I blinked at the question, considering. How much? Step one, get on boat. Step two, don't die. Step three, don't get captured. Step four, find a way to control ship and fleet.

I blinked again. "At least fifty percent." I said in false confidence. He let out a breath. "I'm going to be verbally lashed by your father for this, but what the heck! Sure!" I cheered. "But," I paused.

"I need something in return." I scoffed. "Elaborate." I demanded, crossing my arms. He contemplated his thoughts, offers,

"You stay away from Laurens, stop ignoring my letters, and give me a hug for God's sake!" I fought a laugh. Ridiculous asks!! "Several questions, but I'll ask them later." I said, extending a hand. "Hug after we save our behinds." I clarified. He grinned and shook my hand. "Deal."