Forty-Five

It was just past sundown, so I was making supper. Mother and the sisters were stitching some of the boys's clothes. Margarita asked where they were, silencing when I gave a small, quiet scowl.

I stirred the spiced corn and checked on the potatoes. Everything was fine, so I went to talk with my sisters and mother. "Hello." I said as I reached them. Cornelia and Catharine were playing with some rocks while the others were sewing. "Hello." All of them said in unison.

I sat beside Angelica and started folding the clothes they had fixed. "So, why are the boys in trouble?" Mother asked casually. I couldn't scowl at her. "They were being rude and vexing. They started to snap at me, so I sent them up." I explained cooly. I folded some grey trousers belonging to John.

"Good decision, sending them to their rooms." She complimented. My sisters nodded in agreement. "Thank you. I did what I thought you four would do." I said. They all gave hidden smiled. Suddenly, the little sisters started crying and wailing.

I set the clothes down and rushed over. "What happened?" I said as I crouched down. They pointed at each other and started crying more. "Catharine *sob* hit my *sob* foot with a *sob* rock!" Cornelia screamed. I faced Catharine. "Cor-Cornelia hwit *sob* my face!" She argued. I frowned.

"Give me the rocks." I said, extending a hand. I could feel mother and the sisters's eyes on me. The girls handed me the four rocks hesitantly. I looked to Cornelia, looking to her feet. "Which foot." I asked. She lifted her right and I held it. I set it down. "Shut your eyes." I said. She obeyed.

I tapped her opposite foot and she whined, shrinking away. I tapped her right. Nothing. The liar! I looked to Catharine. "Which cheek?" She pointed to her left. "Eyes." She closed them. I poked her right cheek and she started wailing. I'm living with liars!

"Girls, did you really get hurt?" I asked as they opened their eyes. They nodded. I stared at each of them until they shook their heads. I sighed and looked to mother, who was grinning. "Girls, have a maid draw your baths." She said in dismissal. The sisters groaned and hobbled away.

"Tapping the other limb, smart." Elizabeth said more to herself, like making a mental note. I smiled and sat back down, folding the stitched clothes.

"How's supper going?" Angelica asked. I yelped and ran to the kitchen. No smoke, no fire. I checked at the pork. It's fine, not burnt. I checked the corn. Only slightly burnt. I stirred it and sighed in relief.

"Supper is ready! Boys, you can come out now!" I shouted. I heard the doors swing open, my brothers clamoring down the stairs. "Hello boys." I teased as the held out their expecting plates.

"Hi Y/N." They said sarcastically. I laughed and grabbed John's plate. I dumped corn on and put on two slices of pork. I handed it back, Jeremiah stepping up and handing over his own.

After I served everyone, I sat down last. I glanced at Elizabeth. "How much longer till the wedding? A week?" I asked. She nodded eagerly. "Yup! In the morning, it'll be six days!" Angelica almost spat out her food. "That's so soon!" She said. Elizabeth laughed and handed her a handkerchief.

That means father is coming home in, when morning arrives, five days! "Oh I can't wait to see Alexander again!!" Elizabeth squealed. I fought a pitiful smile towards Angelica.

Rensselaer looked at me and grinned. "And then C/N is joining the family! I can't wait!" He said, the boys cheering. "It's like they are marrying him." Margarita muttered. I snorted and held a hand in front of my face.

Everyone laughed and I blushed. I eyed Jeremiah as he picked up a corn kernel, throwing it at John from across the table.

John gasped and glared at Rensselaer. He picked up corn and threw it at Rensselaer. "Boys!" Mother scolded. Rensselaer ignored her, throwing corn at John. He missed and hit me. Everyone silenced. I flicked the corn off my cheek and sighed. "You'll pay for that." I said before throwing a handful of corn at everyone.

"Y/N!" The sisters squealed, brushing the food off. They threw their own corn at hit the boys. I laughed and ducked from some corn that John threw. I threw it blindly and snickered.

I looked to the chairs to find Rensselaer smirking at me. I felt a hand grip my dress and tug me up, tossing corn on my face. "Elizabeth!" I hissed, though my laugh overpowered me. She laughed as I dumped my entire thing of corn on her.

The room was filled with the smell of corn, the sound of laughter and screams, and the feeling of pure joy. When we ran out of corn, we sagged into our chairs and recaught out breaths.

"Well, that was...odd." Mother said quietly, her food finished. Dread filled us. We all disobeyed her repeatedly. "I want you all to pick up every corn kernel and then eat your pork." She said, standing. There wasn't a single kernel on her.

"Yes mother." We said in unison. She walked upstairs into father's study. I heard some squeals and Cornelia skirted from the bathroom, Catharine in tow. Their eyes widened at the mess, running back to their rooms without a word. I laughed and faced my siblings.

"Let's start." I said. We got on all fours and started picking up each kernel. There had to be 500!!

After several minutes, almost thirty, we finished. I practically inhaled my food before bringing my plate to the kitchen. "Goodnight everyone." I said, going upstairs. I knocked on the study. "Come in." I walked in. Mother was looking at the large portrait of father.

"I'm going to bed. Goodnight." I said patiently. She nodded. "Goodnight." She said distantly. She was off, but it wasn't my place to ask. I left the study and went to my room. I dressed in my nightgown, going straight to sleep.