Forty-Four

We left the office and I started silently shuffling through the letters. One for Elizabeth, one for Angelica, two for me, three for mother. I looked to C/N. He had five total, two for him and three for his father.

"What's yours from?" He asked, peering to my pile. I looked to them. "Alexander, wedding plans." He nodded. I ignored Alexander's last letter. "And...Princeton College." I said quietly. I hadn't told C/N about the offer until now. He dropped his letters.

"What! Princeton? The Princeton?!" He almost shouted. I shushed him urgently. "It's a secret!" I whispered, bending down to pick up his letters. "Here." I said, handing them over. He looked in shock, but managed to grab them.

He blinked and I smiled a bit. "Yes. The Princeton." I said a bit mockingly. He didn't notice. He continued our walking and I explained.

"A bit ago I received a letter. From Princeton. They offered to privately and secretly school me, since I am a woman." I explained bitterly. "That's outrageous." C/N grumbled. I nodded in agreement.

"They said that they would supply everything. I'm taking normal classes, law, and music." I said cheerily. "That's wonderful Y/N!" C/N said, kissing my temple. I leaned into his touch and we smiled. "This letter should be the day schooling starts." I said, looking at the envelope. "Open it!" He prodded. I smiled and ripped the envelope open.

Y/F/N Schuyler,
We are pleased for your latest letter. The schooling year for you specifically will start January fourth. We hope your family understands the importance of secrecy in the matter. We will supply housing for your governesses, so no need to make any room.
Sincerely,
Princeton Headmaster Hugh Henry Brackenridge

C/N read over my shoulder, his smile growing.
"This is amazing Y/N!" He said as I folded the letter. I smiled shyly. By now, we reached the mansion. "You, the first woman to attend Princeton College!" He complimented. "But it won't be marked in history." I countered. He rolled his eyes and we walked inside.

"I'm back! Angelica, mother, and Elizabeth have letters! And I have-" "C/N!!" The boys shouted, running forward.

They embraced him and dragged him away from me. I sighed and set the letters on the table for my sisters and mother. I looked around. Where was everyone? I walked to my brothers.

"Where is the sisters and mother?" I asked as I sat beside C/N. They gave me annoyed looks, since my comment disrupted C/N's story. "In town." Rensselaer said boredly. "Left just after you did." John added. "And you are home alone?" I asked. They nodded and turned back to C/N, who continued his story.

I scoffed and stood, going to the kitchen for something to eat. I looked inside the cabinets, my eyes resting on some ingredients for a (your fav kind of pie) pie. They were probably for Christmas. But then again...

I grabbed the food and started.

* *

It took three hours to make the pie. The firecooker wouldn't light. Imagine if there was a firecooker that I could put the food in and it would cook within minutes! I smiled at the impossible thought.

I set the pie in the table, laying a cloth on it so it was hidden while it cooled. "Boys, are you still vexing C/N?" I taunted as I walked over, my skirts swaying. They glared at me.

"They are fine. I should get going though." C/N said, standing. The boys groaned. "See you tomorrow?" I asked as C/N approached me. "Tomorrow." He said before kissing me. The boys gaged and I removed my lips to glare at them. C/N chuckled and headed for the door. With a wave, he left. I faced the boys.

"Why are you all so rude today?" I asked, hands resting in my hips. They frowned, their expressions strangely identical. "We aren't being rude." Jeremiah said. I scoffed. "Yes, you are! The glares, annoyed answers!" I countered.

They rolled their eyes. "We are fine." Rensselaer said sharply. I pointed upstairs, "Rooms. Now. You'll come back out at supper."

They grumbled and stood, stomping upstairs. After hearing all three doors close, I sat down and held my head in my hands. I blew out a breath and nodded to myself.

I looked to the ceiling and sighed. I crossed my arms over my chest. "John Bradstreet Schuyler, what did I say?" I muttered, slowly angling my head to face my brother. John was sitting on the steps.

He stood up, head hung in shame. "To go to my room until supper." He mumbled. "And what are you doing out of your room?" I asked, walking over to him. He sighed sadly. "You seem...off lately. Ever since..." The Redcoat attack.

"Oh John." I said, sitting beside him, him sitting with me. "I'll admit, I don't feel my best most of the time. But I'm powering through it best I can." I paused. "Am I powering through fine?" I asked, afraid of the answer.

He nodded reassuringly. "Yes, you are doing amazing. But you don't have to be so strong all the time." He said. The advice I needed.

I made a loving whimper and put my arms around him, bringing him closer. After some silence, I whispered, "You're still in trouble." He laughed and we stood. "Now go up to your room, I'll call you all when you can come out." I said, ruffling his hair. He smiled and ran upstairs, staying in his room.