Ninety-Seven

"Y/N!!"

I jerked away and hissed, my wounds stinging. Why do I always get woken like this on ships?! I looked to find Amanda practically dragging me out of bed. "We're in Albany!"

I immediately vomited out of straight nervousness. She cringed and backed up. "Sorry." I said, getting off the bed on the opposite side. I tugged Alexander's jacket, which he gratefully removed last night while I slept, and put my cap on.

I wiped my mouth and nodded. "Come on!" She said, grabbing my hand and pulling me. Her frilly purple skirts were swishing when we entered the sunlight.

I immediately burst into tears. "Y/N?!" Father asked as he approached me. I hugged him tightly and he stroked my hair. "I never thought I would make it back alive." I whispered. He whimpered and gave me a squeeze.

I sniffled and backed up. "Don't tell the family I'm back. I'll walk inside and act like a stranger. I want to see how it's all changed first." I said. They all nodded.

"Who's coming with us?" I asked father. "General Washington, Lafayette, Laurens, Alexander, and Amanda." He said, each one nodding. I nodded and wiped my tears. "Okay. I'm ready." Hard lie.

In a single file line, with me in front, we left the ship. After only a month, so much has changed. Prices were up, there were less redcoats, and trade was currently flowing.

I swallowed and grabbed Amanda's hand. "You alright?" She whispered. I gently shook my head and she squeezed my hand. "I'll be right here." She whispered. I nodded and we headed up the path to my home.

Home. I made it. I made it home alive! After everything I've been through, it never seemed possible! The sailing, fighting, torture, and emotional frustrations all made the thought of home a fare away place. I was supposed to return with C/N. Was I a failure?

I ducked my head as people stared. "We're right here, Y/N." Lafayette whispered. I nodded. "Thank you." I managed back, voice shaking.

We reached the bottom of the path to the house and I froze. "Y/N?" Washington asked.

I shook my head and stepped back. "I-I can't." I stammered. Alexander stepped forward and everyone stepped back, giving us space. He joined our hands and looked me in the eye.

His violet-blue eyes were swimming with compassion. It steadied my nerves a bit. "What are you scared of?" He asked. I took a deep breath. "I'm scared. I'm scared I let everyone down, that they have all changed and don't need me anymore. I'm scared about us. I'm scared I've changed."

He nodded and wiped one of my tears. "How would have let everyone down?" He asked. I sniffled.

"I didn't come home with C/N." I admitted. He shook his head. "You didn't, but was that your fault?" I shook my head. "Right. He's an ass. You deserve so much better. Better than me or him." I was about to protest when he continued.

"I saw your siblings three days ago. John and Angelica cry every night missing you. Your siblings still argue over how you did things and how to do it." I laughed sadly and his mouth quirked up.

"And if you don't want this, I'll stop. These few days of happiness will last me." I gave him a sympathetic look. "I need you." We said together. We laughed a bit.

"And yes, you've changed. But for better. You are stronger, more independent, and fearless." I sniffled and nodded. "O-Okay." I whispered.

He nodded to the group and they stepped back towards me. "Ready?" Father asked. I nodded. "As I'll ever be."

He nodded and we headed up the path. Every step we took was a thundering heartbeat. Thump. Thump. Thump. We reached the door and father knocked.

Margarita creaked it open and squealed. "THEY ARE HOME!" She screamed. We all filed in as everyone hugged the group, avoiding Amanda and I. "Oh father!" They all hugged him at once. "Alexander!" Elizabeth shouted, jumping into his arms. I felt a twinge of jealousy.

"Who are you?" Cornelia asked. I almost broke into tears. She was so much bigger. They all stared at Amanda and I.

"I'm Amanda. Amanda Green." They all nodded and faced me. I tugged my cap off and faced them. "And I'm home."