Forty-Two

I immediately went back to the mansion, not being able to stand the crowds. I stormed inside and slammed the front door, drawing everyone's attention. "Y/F/N Schuyler!!" Mother scolded, storming to me. Just as she reached me, I broke into tears.

"Oh my!" Mother said quietly as I fell into her embrace. She ushered me to the sofa and everyone crowded. "What happened Y/N?" John asked as he sat beside me.

"I was t-talking with *sniffle* a friend I met, Levi Montgomery, when he *sniffle* stepped back a few feet because he *sniffle* was startled. I went to get *sniffle* closer because he stepped back so far when *sniffle* I tripped and he caught me. *sniffle* C/N found us and we separated. Levi left and *sniffle* C/N started saying things like *sniffle* why I was so close to Levi and *sniffle* that I tripped on purpose! We started *sniffle* arguing and it got out of *sniffle* hand! I turned to leave when *sniffle* he grabbed my arm. I *sniffle* turned and slapped him before running!"

I buried my face in my hands, tears falling generously from my eyes. "I slapped him! C/N! What do I do now?!" I cried. "I don't know about you, but Jeremiah and I are going to pay C/N a visit." John said, standing. "No! John, Jeremiah, sit down!" Angelica scolded.

"Can I come too?" Rensselaer asked. "No!" Mother and Angelica shouted. He shrunk back.

"Y/N, look at me." Mother instructed. I lowered my hands and she wiped away some tears with her thumb. "You did nothing wrong. C/N is in over his head and acting utterly foolish." She murmured.

I sniffled again and nodded. When C/N grabbed my arm...like that Redcoat did. I almost stopped breathing. My only reaction was to defend, which was why I slapped him. I can still feel the impact in my hand! I looked up and the family had their eyes in me.

I wiped my tears with the back of my hands and sighed. "But what if-" Elizabeth cut me off. "You did nothing wrong Y/N. If C/N can't see that then that is his problem!" I shook my head again, getting choked up. "But if he sees that I did the wrong thing, then he might leave me!" I wailed.

Mother stood and extended a hand to me. "Children, go do something else. Y/N, come with me." She ordered. Everyone left and I joined our hands. She helped me stand and lead me to her room, shutting the door.

I watched as she shuffled around some letters, pulling out a few. She walked back and handed them to me. "Ever wonder why we had four children in a row, then waited four years to have John?" She asked as I read the letters.

They were between her and father, dated a mere month after my birth. They weren't full of love. They were arguing! "We had different views on how to raise four girls. He wanted you to first be trained in house and then school, I wanted the reverse." She said, eyes distant, as if she was remembering the tension.

"We argued for years before reaching a solution." I nodded. We learned both at the same time. School during school hours, house work on our time off. "But we reached a solution. And then we had five more children." She said with a laugh.

"This thing between you and C/N won't last years. This, too, shall pass." She said gently. I nodded and handed back the letters. I gave her a tight hug. "Thank you." I whispered before heading for the door. She gave me a small smile and I left.

I walked outside to find all eight siblings eavesdropping. "Wow." I said, shaming them. They looked down before rushing away. I chuckled and looked to the table. The letters were already gathered, so I went to see if I had any.

I jogged down stairs and looked at the letters. Three for me! I grabbed them and sat in a chair. One from Alexander, one from Isabella, and one from father! My first letter from father! I ripped the envelope and read.

My dearest daughter,
It has been so long since I have seen your face. I miss you far more than you know. I can't wait till I get to be home for the wedding, Elizabeth's and yours! How is everyone? C/N? You? I don't want to miss out on anything!
Till I come home,
Father.

I hugged the letter close to my chest. Oh father! I set it aside and grabbed the letter from Isabella.

Y/N,
Hi! It's been so long since I've written to you! I want to make yours and Elizabeth's wedding dresses if that is fine! Matthew is visiting soon, why don't you meet him? I think you'll love him!
I am with you, my friend,
Isabella.

I smiled to myself before cautiously grabbing Alexander's letter. I am still mad at his comma.

My dearest, Y/N.
You will always hold a spot in my heart, but we each have significant others. I miss your entire family so dearly! It's a pity I can't plan with Elizabeth and your mother. I wish I could! How are you? I hope you are well.
Yours,
Alexander

I scowled and crossed my arms. He is absurd. I grabbed the letters and head up to my room to reply to two of them.