Thirty-Seven

Dinner was tense. There wasn't really my side versus Angelica's, but I could tell some of my family thought I did the right thing and some thought it was unnecessary. Angelica avoided looking at anyone while she ate, but I dared to make eye contact with everyone who stared at me.

Once I finished, I finished first, I just left silently. I went to the kitchen and set my plate in, someone tapping my shoulder. I braced myself for Angelica, but was met with a friendlier face.

"Oh, hello Abagail!" I said brightly. She was an older woman. She was at least mother's age, maybe a bit older. She had twins, Mary and Jacob, and even a grandson from Mary, his name was Isaac and he was three. All of them were behind her.

"Thank you for standing up for our mother." Jacob said gratefully. "It was my pleasure. It's the least anyone owes you." I said quietly. Mary and I were decent friends. I was the only one she could tell when she got pregnant with Isaac. I even helped named him.

"Go ahead Isaac." Mary whispered. Isaac, hands behind his back, shuffled over. He had short, curly hair. His skin was lighter, hinting to his father being white. I never asked Mary, but she seemed ashamed. A black sleeping with a white was common yet never mentioned.

He extended a deep red rose, matching my skirts. "Oh, you guys didn't have to! I'll gladly defend you or anyone else without payment twice over!" I protested. "Please, let us give you this." Abagail insisted. I gave them a small smile and knelt down.

I grabbed the rose from him and he gave me a shy look. His eyes were almost black. He was going to grow up to be handsome. "Thank you Isaac." I said with a wink. He giggled and ran behind his mother. I smiled and stood again.

"Thank you, truly." Mary said. "Like I said, anytime." I assured. I looked past them to find John peeking in. I beckoned him in and he shuffled in silently.

"H-Hi." He said shyly once he reached my side. "Hi John." Mary said gently. "I'm Mary." She said, doing a slight curtsy. "I'm Jacob." They shook hands. Mary moved aside and showed Isaac. "My son, Isaac." She said. Isaac shrunk back again.

"Hi Mary, Jacob, Isaac." John said politely. I took his plate from him and kissed his forehead. "Goodnight you four." I said. "Goodnight Y/N, goodnight John." The twins said in unison. "Goodnight." John mumbled before we left. I hid the rose behind my back as we went up the stairs.

"I feel guilty for not knowing anything about them." John admitted once we reached the second floor. "How about I give you a quickly information course tomorrow?" I asked. He gave me a bright smile and nodded. "Good. Goodnight John." I said. "Goodnight Y/N." He said before we went into our rooms.

I immediately grabbed a vase for the rose and set it in. The other flowers in the vase were small, pink flowers with yellow centers, so the rose stuck out. I merely smiled before changing into my nightgown.

I sat on my bed and decided to write in my journal. I reached under and plucked it up, grabbing a quill.

Fourth of December, 1780

Everyone is still cautious of me, like I might shatter at any given moment. I try to convince them I'm fine, but I'm more than shaken. The only thing that prevents my thoughts to drift negatively is piano, whether I'm playing or listening.

Today, Redcoats visited the mansion. One was from the attack. He recognized me, making my heart sink. I have so many unanswerable questions it will drive me mad.

I saw Isabella today, which was fun. Rensselaer still fancies her. After she left, I got into it with Angelica. I called a slave by name and she started accusing me! I defended myself, saying she doesn't care. She snapped back that the slaves don't care about them and doesn't know anything, so I proved her wrong.

I called Abagail over and she said everything she knew about Angelica. Angelica, dumbfounded and embarrassed, is ignoring me. After dinner, Abagail, Mary, Jacob, and Isaac gave me a beautiful rose. Today was quite the day.

I waved the ink dry as I set the quill away. I shut the worn journal before setting it back. I laid down, running a hand through my hair. I sighed and roll to my side.

I wasn't tired in the least. I was quite energetic to be honest. I sat up quickly and glared at my closet. I shouldn't go out. It's late. Right? I mean, yes! It is late! I rubbed my eyes with the heels of my hands. I flipped the covers off me and went to my closet.

A/N
Ok y'all hey. I have a question. How do y'all pronounce vase
V-aw-z
Or
V-ai-ss
Eh? And two, the other flowers in the vase are called Swamp Roses. I like them so I put them in. They are native to New York so the story fits :)
Bye my lovelies! Don't forget to comment and vote!