Nine

Mother and father were in the study for several hours. It was now supper time and I was making it with John.

"Pass me the salt." I said as I stirred the mashed up potatoes. John handed me the salt and I sprinkled it on. "Think of it like this;" I said. I shook it eleven times. "One shake per person." I said. He nodded and I handed it back.

I checked on the pork. It was charring a bit. "Grab the towel." I said. John obeyed. I helped him reach into the stove, much to his dismay and fear, and had him place the food on the counter.

"See! Easy!" I said. He laughed and called for dinner. "CATHARINE, CORNELIA, RENSSELAER, JEREMIAH, MARGARITA, ELIZABETH, ANGELICA! SUPPER!"

I winced as he shouted in my ear and he apologized. "JOHN BRADSTREET SCHUYLER!!" We heard mother and Angelica shout in unison. "Shit." John muttered. "Language!" I hissed.

"You do not shout in this household!" Mother scolded as everyone went into a single file line. Good to know mother and father were out and about again.

"Sorry mother." John muttered. "Let the boy be! He is sixteen after all!" Father's voice boomed. "Daddy!" Catharine squealed. I laughed and helped John get food served.

We gave everyone their food and supplies and we sat. Then reality hit...hard.

Father would leave tomorrow.

Rensselaer looked to his brothers nervously. I looked to my elder sisters. Father sighed and we looked to him.

"I know what you are all thinking. I'll leave tomorrow at noon." He said. NOON?! Panicked  looks crossed all of our faces. Catharine reached for me and I held her tiny hand.

"I'll write to you all everyday, I promise." Father added rather quickly. "To Angelica," My sister smiled sadly. "Elizabeth," She looked away shyly. "Margarita," She laughed tiredly. "Y/N," I fought back tears. "John," He gave a tough look. "Jeremiah," My brother gave a slight nod. "Rensselaer," He brushed his hair aside. "Cornelia," She giggled as father tickled her. "And even Catharine, despite how she can't read." Catharine frowned and I kissed her temple.

Everyone sat in a severely awkward silence. There was a knock and I shot up. Anything to leave the table! "I'll get it." I said, hurrying to the door. I looked through the side window.

I opened the door. "Mr.Washington." I said with a curtesy. I heard everyone stand at the table. "General, come in!" Father said. General! The rumors were true! George Washington was leading the revolution!

Washington was wearing a stunning, deep blue coat with a tan tunic underneath. He had black trousers and tall, black leather boots. His brown hair was made neatly and combed back. He was very dashing, especially for his 48 years of age.

Washington walked in and father walked to him. I shut the door and went back to the table.

"Sorry to bother you all during supper, but it is quite urgent." Washington said. What was going on? What was so urgent?

"We can talk in my study." Father said. Washington nodded and they headed upstairs. We heard the door shut and quiet chaos erupted.

"What happened?" "Is that George Washington?" "Who died?"

I choked on my supper at that last question. "Philip Jeremiah!" The women, myself included, scolded. "Mother, can I be excused?" Rensselaer asked. He had hardly touched his food!

"No, eat your food." Mother said. "Can I at least using the powder room?" He countered. Mother eyed him but nodded. Rensselaer got up and ran upstairs. I watched him, but he didn't go to the powder room. He crouched by the door of father's study!

I looked back at the table. No one else noticed. "Can I be excused?" I asked. I, unlike my little brother, had finished my meal. "Yes dear." Mother said. I got up and put my plate inside the sink before running upstairs.

"Rensselaer!" I scolded very quietly. He flinched and stood, head hung in shame. "Sorry. Please don't tell anyone!" He begged. I grabbed his arm and pulled him to my room, shutting the door.

"Tell me what you heard and I won't tell." I said, arms crossed. He groaned quietly. "Fine. The British heard about the revolution starting and attacked early. That's all I heard." He said. Oh no. That means- "God be damned." I muttered, earning a horrified yet amused look from Rensselaer.

"Don't tell a soul!" I threatened. He held his hands up in casualness. I grabbed his arm again and threw him out of my room. "Go back to the table before mother gets suspicious." I said. "Wait! You know something!" He said. I sighed. "You'll find out soon enough." I said before shutting my door.

I played with my H/S (Hair Style curly, straight etc.) hair and sat on my bed. That means father had to leave tonight.

"Y/N!" I heard from downstairs. Oh no. Anxiety crept into my mind as I left my room and crept downstairs. Everyone was in the living area, father standing beside Washington.

I sat beside mother and took Catharine from her, putting the toddler in my lap.

Father glanced at Washington, who looked almost...shameful? Father looked back to us and sigh deeply. "There- There was an attack. The British attacked us. I-I have to leave now, before it gets worse."