Ten

I have to leave now.

The words echoed through my head. Though I anticipated this mere seconds ago, it still struck hard.

"What?!" "Why!" "You can't!"

I couldn't hear who asked what, just that the questions were asked. I also couldn't hear the responses. Despite me having three days to prepare, I was not at all ready for father to leave.

"Y/N?"

What if he died, like in my awful nightmare? What if we lost? I hated 'what if's!

"Y/N?"

I blinked, my name pulling me from my invasive thoughts. While everyone was questioning father and Washington, Catharine was looking to me.

"You were mumbling." She said softly. Oh. I sighed and brushed the blonde hair from my youngest sibling's face. "Sorry Caty." I said softly. We both looked back to the men.

"I am so sorry. I promise I will keep Philip safe." Washington said with deep regret. Father walked to Jeremiah, who was the closest to him, and planted a light kiss on his head. He then walked to Margarita and Cornelia, kissing each of their cheeks. He did the same to everyone, kissing the boys in the head, until he finally reached Catharine and I.

He kissed Catherine's cheek and motioned to kiss mine, but I stopped him. Instead, I kissed his cheek before pushing him away. Father gave me a hurt look before leaving with Washington, not another word said.

I swallowed and everyone looked to mother. "Bed now, children." She said after many silent minutes. Everyone stood, Margarita and I picking up Cornelia and Catharine, and headed upstairs. Mother stayed in the living area.

I put Catharine in her night clothes and set her in her bed. "Goodnight Caty." I said, kissing her forehead. "Goodnight Y/N/N." She said tiredly. I snuck out to my room and got into my own night clothes.

I got under my cozy bed covers, though I didn't feel cozy. I felt a mess. Father left a whole day early and a battle has started in my town. I was anything but cozy.

There was a knock at my door and I sat up. "Come in!"

It opened and John peaked in. I sat up more. "Hey Johnny, come in." I said gently. He squeezed in, night clothes also on, and sat at the foot of my bed.

"You wanna talk?" I asked. He shook his head a bit. I sighed. "You wanna sit with me?" A nod. I laughed quietly and pulled him over. He sat beside me on my end and laid his head on my shoulder.

John was almost as tall as me, thrice as strong, but I will always be his older sister. Always there to comfort him, help him. I felt a tear land on my shoulder. He was crying. "Oh Johnny." I said, pulling him closer.

"Why did he have to leave?" He sobbed. I shushed him soothingly. "I know, I know." I said quietly. "Did I do something? Did he feel like he had to help out more because I wasn't man enough?" He asked. Oh god! Did he really think this was his fault? "You did everything just right." I said quietly.

"Father just wants to make us to live in a safe country, but that costs a lot." I said. And I didn't mean money, he knew what the cost was. He seemed to cry more. I had to do something!

"Once upon a time, in a land not as far as you would think, people were happy." I said. John seemed to be listening, so I continued. "They were free, slaves didn't exist, and you had other ways of communicating despite letters; you could talk to the person face to face yet be on the other side of the world!" I said, smiling to myself.

"How would that even be possible?" John asked with a heavy laugh. I joined his laughter. "Magic!" I said, making us laugh more. "Anyways, there is was this boy, John, and he was the sweetest, strongest, snobbiest-" He gasped dramatically and we laughed more. "Man you would every meet." I finished.

"John was taking a walk in the woods. Tall trees reaching 100 meters reached up! He admired the trees when a woman found him." John's breathed hitched, making me giggle.

" 'Hello.' The woman said. 'I'm Elizabeth.' She introduced." I looked down to find John blushing furiously. He had a fancy for an Elizabeth we knew. "John looked to her. 'Hello.' He said, breathless from her beauty. 'I'm John.' He said. He admired her beautiful brown hair and matching eyes."

John blushed even more. I chuckled lightly. "And they became quick friends. They would walk together, talk, everything. After knowing each other for years, they married and had two kids. John and Elizabeth lived very happily for the remainder of their lives."

I looked at my brother to find him asleep. I chuckled lightly. Oh John. I grabbed a blanket from the foot of my bed, since he was sitting on mine, and laid it on him gently. I laid us down and kissed his temple. "Goodnight Johnny boy." I murmured. I laid down and fell asleep quickly.