Eighty-Seven

After slipping on the dress and brushing my hair, Amanda started talking to me more. "So, how do you plan to get back?" Amanda asked as she straightened up her humble home. I shrugged.

"I'll take a boat." She looked at me sharply. "No one will let you on." She countered. I laughed and shook my head. "Care to hear another story?" I asked. She shrugged and went back to cleaning. "So it all started when I got the news about my former-fiancé."

* *

By the time I finished my story about my journey at sea, Amanda was sitting across from me, chin resting in her hands, eyes wide.

"You must be bloody mad for all of this shit to happen to you!" She said as she brushed her hair away. I blinked at her strong language. She eyed me skeptically. "You spent a week at sea with some drunken, handsome sailors, and you are surprised to hear me say shit?"

I coughed and shrugged. "It's been a long time since I've had proper woman-to-woman conversation." I explained shyly. It was true! Last real conversation I had with my own gender was with Angelica, Elizabeth, and Margarita when I explained the letters I found at the dock.

Wait. ELIZABETH!!! THE WEDDING IS TODAY!!! I shot out of my chair and my hands went into my hair. "What?!" Amanda hissed she flinched away from me.

I facepalmed. "Today, my sister is getting married!" I explained. How could I forget?! It's the fourteenth! Amanda rolled her eyes and I glared at her. "Calm down girl!" She snapped.

"You can't be there! You can't send a letter in time! Stop fussing about it!" I looked down in embarrassment. She was right. Fussing over this wasn't doing me any good. She sighed and pinched the bridge if her nose. "Sorry." She said quietly.

I shook my head. "You're right. Fussing won't do any good." I justified. She nodded once and we both stood together by coincidence. We stared at each other before laughing.

I paused. "Hey, I have an offer." I said. She quieted down and raised an eyebrow, motioning me to continue.

"Since I'm going back to Albany, I was wondering if you wanted to go with me." I said the last part quietly and nervously. She blinked.

Amanda bit her lip and looked away. She's going to decline. Stupid question! Stupid of me to stress her! She already damns, pardon my French, her former betrothed for trying to get her to move! How was my request any different?!

She bobbed her head side to side in contemplation. Finally she gave me a small smile. "I have nothing here. Yes, I'll go to Albany with you, Y/F/N Schuyler."

I cheered and hugged her. "This is going to be wonderful!!" I exclaimed. Amanda laughed and nodded.

I let go of her and looked around her small home. The only thing to seemed to be needing to be packed was her dresses, an Italian carpet, some jewelry, and a stack of letters.

"Well, better pack. I'll get our outfits." I said smoothing my skirts. Lavender was such a gorgeous color! I looked up to find Amanda in my path. She shook her head. "You'll be easily spotted. I'll go. As for packing," she looked around the room.

"Just five dresses, never two of the same color, the letters, and jewelry. We can sell some on the way." She commanded. She pointed under her bed. "Bags. Only get two. Fit however you can." I nodded.

She grabbed a small over coat and slid it on, giving me a quick glance. "There is a dagger under the bed linens. Grab it if anyone knocks." She said dangerously. I swallowed but nodded all the same. Without another word, she left.

* *

After packing everything Amanda said, which was very easy in the two bags she said to use, I was sitting on the bed, carefully avoiding the dagger I examined five minutes ago.