Eighteen

I was in my room for most of the day, just doing simple sketches with my quill. I hardly ever drew, but I always longed to make it my profession. Unfortunately, women never had jobs. I mostly drew views or occasionally my family.

I put away a piece I had just finished, a sketch of father, before heading out of my room. It was late afternoon and I had skipped lunch. My stomach growled a bit and I headed downstairs.

No one was home. They were all out and about which was unusual. I walked around the house. The only people here were the servants.

I decided to go to the market to buy an apple. I grabbed a few shillings I previously hid under the sofa and left the house, but this time I remembered my hat and gloves. I shut the door and put my hat on to protect myself from the sun beating down on me.

I put my shillings in the pockets of my skirts as I jogged down the steps. People waved to me as I passed. "Mademoiselle!" I heard. I new better and turned around. Monsieur Lafayette was running towards me, his French outfit sticking out like a sore thumb.

"Monsieur Lafayette!" I said as he reached me. He kissed both my cheeks with a bright smile. "I see you run with young man?" He asked, his English much improved. "Oui. C/F/N C/L/N, my beau." I explained. He smirked with dashing charm.

"You looked to have been having much fun." He said. I nodded and he chuckled. "Oh, have you seen any of my family?" I asked. He gave me a confused look. Darn it. "Erm, avez-vous vu des membres de ma famille?" (It's what she just asked) I asked. He shook his head. "Oh well. Adieu!" I said. "Adieu Mademoiselle!" He said before we went our separate ways.

I picked up my pace as I reached the market. I grabbed an apple was within reach of the doorway as I passed, walking up to the counter.

"Just this." I said, taking out my coins. "Three shillings." He said. THREE?! That was so much compared to before the Revolution!! I sighed and handed him the coins, only four remaining. I left without another word, deciding to walk in the park.

I took a bite of my apple and looked around. Everyone seemed to be celebrating, but why? I jogged to a paperboy and paid him a shilling. He handed me the paper and I read the headline.

Victory For The Patriots

Yes!!! I read further.

After a long string of loses, the Patriots gain a victory against the British. Lead under George Washington and his captain, Captain Alexander Hamilton, they successfully brought down loyalist troops, thanks to the coordination help from General Philip Schuyler.

Yes!! Father is alive and thriving! He is making us so proud! I folded the paper and held it under my arm as I continued my walk.

I took another bite of my apple as I looked around. I started getting thoughts of the bar. I mean, I've never had any alcohol besides the wine at church. Plenty of girls my age drink. I am already twenty.

I smirked and tossed my apple core into the bushes. I turned around and headed straight for the bar. I walked in and was hit by so many sounds and smells; beer, potential vomit, sweat, cheers, men and women, bickering. It was overwhelmingly patriotic as well.

I collected myself and walked forward. I approached the counter. "Hello miss." The charming bartender said. "Hello. I'll take..." I thought for several moments. "I'll get her a whiskey." A voice from my left said. I turned. A young man was smiling at me.

"And one for me as well." He said. The bartender nodded. Oh dear. "Hello." I said simply. "I'm John Parke Custis." He said charmingly. "Y/F/N Schuyler." I said politely. I really wanted him to leave me alone. The bartender slid us our drinks and I sipped mine.

Oh goodness. It tasted weird, but ok? It was strong and made my senses weak. I immediately sent down the glass. "Schuyler! Your father is an icon. Him and my father are good friends." He said. Oh? I gave him a questioning look. "George Washington is my adoptive father." He said pridefully.

Oh! Adoptive! Unusual and amazing! "That's absolutely wonderful!" I said, suddenly intrigued. I took another sip and instantly regretted it. I lightly shoved my glass away, not wanting to be impolite. John chuckled and nodded. "Whiskey is a bit strong." He joked.

I laughed and nodded. "Heard about the victory my father and your sister's beau, thanks to the help of your father, lead and brought for the patriots?" He asked. I smiled and nodded. "Wonderful victory." I said cheerily.

"Indeed." He said. Silence rested between us. "You know what?" I asked. He gave me a confused look. I held his stare as I drained my glass, shaking my head in distaste. John was wearing a shocked expression as I said, "Let's celebrate."

                                      * *

I giggled as uncontrollably as my hiccups. I was in my fourth glass of whiskey, John in his fifth. "AnD iT tUrNs OuT, mY mOtHeR hAd ThE kEy!" I slurred to John. He roared with drunken laughter.

"My FaThEr DiD tHaT wHeN i WaS a SmAlL oNe! DiD yOu KnOw mY fAtHeR iS GeOrGe WeRsHHhhhHiNgTAin?" He slurred back. I giggled and nodded, my hair going in front of my face. John rested his hand on my shoulder and giggled with me.

My giggling stopped when I heard a familiar voice. "Y/F/N Schuyler." I whipped my head to the doors, immediately sobering up at the sight. "C/N"