Seventy

I whirled to Washington, who was talking to father. "Those ships are going to reach us." I snapped, walking to them. Alexander trailed me, my backup. They turned to me.

"You aren't even supposed to be here!" Father scolded. I balled my hands into fists. "Well I am! I am here to protect my fiancé from the British! So you either deal with it or you can ignore me!" I hissed back at him. He looked taken aback, but didn't say anything.

I glanced to Alexander, who was beaming with approval. "I know what we need to do." I said, facing the general. He blinked. "Alexander and I need to be taken hostage on that ship."

Father fumed. "NO WAY!!!" He challenged. I faced him again. "Yes!! If we do, we can take control of one. That's hostage and force the other ships to yield!! If we don't, they will kill us all!"

He shook his head and I stepped forward, a challenge. "I promised Angelica, Elizabeth, Margarita, John, Jeremiah, Rensselaer, Cornelia, Catharine, Isabella, Levi, and mother that I will make it home safe. That we will make it home safe. Now you either go with my plan, or stand by and watch." I was tired of father bossing me around when he had no right to. He didn't seem to grasp the peril we are in, so I was forced to lay it out for him.

When he didn't say anything, I continued. "For the first time, father, you don't know the right thing to do. Right now, I don't feel safe in your charge. The only thing that will keep us all safe is if I get to that ship." I kept my tone quiet, a deathly calm.

Father blanched, eyes wide with shock, sorrow, and guilt. I know my words struck deep, that I might as well have of threw him over the edge of the boat. Good.

He struggled for words, opening and closing his mouth. I looked to Washington. "The closest boat will be taking over this very one in five minutes. Then, I will convince them to take me hostage. Alexander will act like we are the closest of friends and try to save me. They will take us both by then. That's when we strike. When I say 'Albany' you will start to grab the hidden guns I came across walked around."

Alexander let out an impressed whistle. I grinned a bit. Washington swallowed but nodded a bit. "Alright." He said quietly.

I adjusted my coat and messed up my ponytail a bit. "Remember, put up a fight." I said with a wink before drawing the sword I was given. Right now, Jacob's boat was at the back of the fleet, safe and sound.

How I came up with the plan, I had no idea. How I came up with sudden courage to shout at my father, no idea. And how I managed to wink at a time like this.

I looked to the ships. "Two minutes." I said, looking around. I turned to the crew, who was rushing around. None of them moved while I was shouting or laying out my plan. I didn't even notice them! But now, they were acting like there would fire upon the British. Acting.

I looked to the ships and took a long, shaky breath. My bravado was coming to an end. My adrenaline was depleting. Reality was setting in.

I literally shouted at father. I told him he couldn't keep me safe. I told him he was wrong. I'm wearing Alexander's coat. I jumped into his arms. I ordered around the greatest generals of the era. I commanded a ship. I plotted my own capture.

I'm traveling the state to find out if C/N is safe. I'm going into war to make sure he is safe. What am I doing?!

"One minute." I said automatically. I stiffened at my own words. "We are taking over the ship! Fight back, and you will die." The British captain ordered. I blinked and looked up at the sky. "Kneel, hands above your head." They demanded as the board dropped.

I heard everyone obey. I waited till they started walking. I'm soooo dead. "Kneel!" One shouted to me. I looked forward to my kneeling comrades, getting on my knees. I placed my hands above my head. "British scum. Killing everyone without a thought." I hissed, words spilling out.

"What?!" They shouted, approaching me. I didn't bother to look at them. "You kill so you won't have to bother with hostages. Keeping a hostage applied guilt more than killing. So you are British scum."

"Oh yeah?!" They snapped. They gripped my arm and yanked me into a stand. "No!! Don't take him! Henry! Don't!" Alexander shouted from behind me. I fought a grin.

They looked to Alexander. I still didn't look at any 'British scum' yet. "Alright, we are taking you with us!" He snapped. Young, arrogant captain. I heard them haul Alexander up. They turned me around and I met father's eyes.

He gave me a small, barely visible nod. "Let's go, then we will take over this ship." The captain ordered. They dragged Alexander and I onto their boat, taunting about how we were weak and subdued.

They shoved us onto the wood and kicked me in the gut. "No!" I heard Alexander shout. My father was silent. Good, can't ruin the plan.

I doubled over and coughed, air seemingly impossible to grasp. They punched Alexander in the jaw and he fell into me. "N-No!" I rasped. He spat blood and the men cackled. "Coat p-pocket." Alexander whispered. "Small k-knife."

I gave a slight nod. They kicked me again and it allowed my arms to flare. I quickly dug into the pocket and pulled out the knife, handing it to Alexander. He hid it. The men got close and yanked my hair.

They forced eye contact, and I knew my gender was given up when his dark eyes filled with lust. I had only one choice left. "ALBANY!!"