Ninety-Eight

They all froze. "Y-Y/N?" John stammered. I opened my arms to him. "I'm home, Johnny boy." I said. They all burst into tears and tackled me with hugs.

I bit my lip to hide the pain, Laurens wincing. "You're home! Oh my god you're alive!" Angelica cried, hugging me tighter.

I sobbed and we all fell to our knees, hugging each other. I was safe! I was home! My family is here and I'm not in danger! I don't need to hide! I. Am. Home.

Footsteps sounded from the stairs and we all looked up, everyone quieting. Mother stood there, one hand on the railing, the other over her mouth. Everyone backed up, leaving me in the center of the room to face mother.

"I'm home, mama." I said pathetically. She sobbed and rushed downstairs. We ran into each other's arms and cried.

"My baby is safe." She whispered through the tears. I nodded and hugged her. She stroked my dirty hair and sobbed. "I thought you died! When I got your note, I thought it was an awful joke!"

I shook my head. "I'm so sorry I left you." I cried.

We sniffled and separated. "Wait, where's
C/N?" Catharine asked as she tugged at my dress. I looked away. "I'm going to bathe and change. Can...Can you guys explain?" I asked. The men and Amanda nodded. "Come here." Amanda said to Catharine. She giggled and hobbled over.

Mother cupped my cheek before leaving me to go.

* *

After bathing, which was a delicacy I greatly missed, I changed into my favorite dress, to celebrate my new life.

I left my room and found my family crying, the youngest girls confused. They all looked to me and I found everyone staring at me in horror. "What?" I asked worriedly, my heart thundering. This is exactly what I feared!

"I-I told them." Laurens said quietly. Oh. Oh no! "He put you through all of that?" Rensselaer asked. I nodded and went down the stairs.

"I knew he was no good! We should've never let him inside that day!" Jeremiah said to John, who elbowed him. I shook my head. "None of us could've known. He was cruel. And his father-"

I gasped. "I have to go! If you follow, you'll find me at Mr.C/L/N's house. Get a carriage for you!" I said, rushing out. Before I shut the door, I heard mother whisper, "Her Captain kicked in." I chuckled and ran outside.

Everyone gasped and stopped in their tracks as I passed, gawking and pointing. I guess rumor spreads fast. I ignored them all and picked up my skirts, running faster. My stamina was impeccable after a month away.

I turned to the residential area and ran faster, the house in sight. Mr.C/L/N was cleaning his yard. "Mr.C/L/N!" I shouted. He froze and turned to me, gasping.

I met him and hugged him. "My son?" He asked as we separated. I wiped my tears. "He's gone. I'm sorry." I lied.

He burst into tears as guilt ripped through me. If he ever found out the man his son lived to be, it would be worse and shameful than thinking him dead. So morally wrong but mentally best.

He sobbed and held his face in his hands. "I'm so sorry. I couldn't bring him home and I let you down." I said, half speaking truth. I failed my quest and let him down.

He shook his head. "You already have done so much. The money, just going to find him. You did so so much, Y/N." He said quietly. Money?

I linked our arms and lead him inside. "To help with the missing help at the shop, I am willing to fill in. Or John, or even Jeremiah. Just say the word, Mr.C/L/N. The Schuylers are at your service."

He nodded and sat on a nearby sofa. I left the door open for the others to know where I was. I started to make tea and he sighed. "You've changed." He whispered. I looked to him. "Yes. Yes I have." I admitted.

This is a sign. Spend time with those that make you happy. Welcome change. Grow!