Ninety-Five

After sorting everything out and sending the loyalist crew back on their way, my torture was finally catching up to me.

For the past few days, my knees would randomly buckle, my scabs would bleed, and I'd be hit with either a debilitating headache that lasted hours, or sharp pains through my body. Of course, I haven't told anyone and blamed it on exhaustion.

What brought out the most pain was tying down the sails, which I was just so lucky enough to be doing right now.

I grunted and winced as I tugged on the rough rope, the sails opening. "You alright, Y/N?" I heard Laurens ask from behind me, walking closer. I gave one final tug before facing him.

"Oh, yeah. Totally. Just a bit sea sick, that's all." I lie quickly, biting my tongue to hide the sudden pulse of pain that struck my legs. I tied the rope to the mast and heard Laurens scoff. "You've sailed two ships and have sailed the seas thrice. You are not sea sick."

I frowned and quickly found a barrel before my knees gave out once again. I hissed and pulled up my trouser leg, revealing raw, bleeding wounds.

"Y/N!" Laurens said in a harsh whisper, rushing over and inspecting my calves. "I'm alright." I lied, squinting against the bright sun. Laurens glared at me before tapping a cut. I hissed and retracted.

Laurens raised an eyebrow at me and I rolled my eyes. "Why didn't you tell anyone?!" He scorned, gently grabbing my ankle to look at the underside of my lower leg.

"I don't want to go back to being treated like an infant! You'll treat me like some invalid or worse, like a proper lady!" He chuckled to my accusation.

I blinked and sighed. "Just please don't tell Alexander, my father, or anyone else!" I begged quietly. He looked at me for a second, debating. When he sighed, I smiled in victory. "Fine. But only if I can help care for you." He proposed.

I nodded immediately and he gave me a smirk. He stood and extended a hand. "Here, there's a kit under my bed." He said as I took his hand. He heaved me to a stand and I followed him to the barracks.

He quickly lit the candle before leading me to his bunk. "Sit." He said politely, patting the opposite bed. I sat down, my legs sighing in relief. I cringed at the sharp burn in my arm.

Laurens got out a small wooden box and opened it. He grabbed some pale bandages and faced me.

"Oh. Erm, you might want to change into a skirt." He said, standing. "It'll be easier for me to bandage the upper wounds." He said uncomfortably. "I'll be outside." He said, jogging to the door and leaving.

I chuckled and reached back, since my bed was two down, and snatched my bag. My arms and back barked in protest as I retracted, bringing an orange gown with me. It was very, very simple.

It was just two small layers of pale orange fabric that dropped to my ankles. It had no extra poof, more like a fancier nightgown. It was a bit ruffled at the bodice and had an orange saffron ribbon around the waist.

I swiftly changed, not bothering with the ribbon. "You can come in, John." I said just barely loud enough to hear.

The door clicked open and shut, followed by footsteps. Laurens came into view and he nodded in approval to my newer outfit. I started by lifting my skirts to my knee, which was quite taboo, but I could feel that Laurens was trustworthy.

"Just don't tell Alexander." We said in unison. We burst into laughter at our insane thinking. "Guess we both just know him that well." He mused, calming himself.

I chuckled and he started to wrap my legs. "Ouch! Holy mother-" I clamped my mouth shut with my hand to keep from saying anything inhumane. Laurens' eyes widened and he grinned at my language.

"Speaking like a true sailor." He joked. I swatted his shoulder and he gave a small tug on the bandages. "God damn!" I shouted. I gasped and put both hands over my mouth.

Laurens laughed and tied off the bandages. "Atta girl." He said under his breath. I glared at him for pushing the blasphemy from me.

Laurens started on the other leg, being far more careful.

"Thanks, by the way." I said suddenly when he tied off the bandages. He gave me a small nod. "You save our asses. This is the least I could do." He said earnestly. He gestured to my arm. "Sleeve up."

I grinned and rolled my sleeve to my elbow. Dozens of small, thin cuts shone crimson red. "How have you been moving this past week?" He asked rhetorically. I laughed wryly.

He unraveled the bandages and started wrapping again. I winced and hissed when he went over a deeper cut. "That one hurt the worst." I said as he examined the wound. He looked up at me, worried.

I pointed to one at my collarbone. "This was for not telling him about you." I pointed to one on my left palm. "For not telling about Monsieur Lafayette," Pointed to the one on my upper thigh. "And for not ratting out the name of this ship."

Laurens paled and looked like he might vomit. "Oh dear god." He whispered. I shrugged, the cuts in my shoulders spiking. "I'd be dead if
C/N didn't intervene, oddly enough." I said with a sad chuckle.

I sniffled and placed my free hand over my mouth. "Oh Y/N." Laurens said softly, bringing us both to a stand.

He tucked me into an embrace and I sobbed. His gently placed his chin atop my head and let me cry into his chest.

He gently stroked my hair and shushed me soothingly. "It's alright." He whispered. I shook my head. "It's not." I choked out. He nodded. "Yeah, but it is what it is."

A/N
The last line Laurens said, the quote. And that paragraph of dialogue tbh, is from what show? Its one of my other fandoms lol. It was the last line in the last episode of the last season (S4)
Guess that quote!