Fifty-Eight

I rushed past the crowd. "Move! Get out of my way!" I shouted. People scoffed and gave me angered looks. Some even cursed at me. I didn't care! The British are after my family! "Move it!" I shouted as I pushed past a group of people.

My family. Mother. Angelica. Elizabeth. Margarita. John. Jeremiah. Rensselaer. Cornelia. Catharine. They were all home. One single attack and they could all be dead!

I would be alone. My family dead, myself a poor, orphan who never marries. I wiped away tears. I don't have time to cry! Crying slows me down! I ran faster, picking up my skirts.

If they were dead, it'd be my fault! My fault for ignoring the bribe letter, my fault for kicking that Redcoat, for burning the house!

The mansion was in sight! The door was wide open! No no no! My vision blurred with tears, my heart in my throat. I couldn't breathe, see, hear. I pushed past strangers and my breathing became ragged. If my family was dead...

I don't know what I would do! Would I be homeless? Stuck on the streets like the working girls in the midnight?

I would be alone. A disgrace. Go down in history as the girl that got her family killed. I can feel the shame on future Americans—if we even ever win this blasted war! If we lost, would I be considered a bloody hero?! The nasty thought brought nausea.

I tripped and rolled, cursing. People tried to help me up, but I ignored them. I hopped to my feet and continued my running. My left thigh burned, but I preserved, pain now foreign.

I tried to push away the thought of life without my family. I failed.

"Y/N?!" Alexander snapped as he returned from war. I was alone in a bar. I turned to him. "I-I'm so sorry Alexander." I stammered. He shook his head, shaming me.

I choked up. That was dramatic. But I could feel the shame and horror Alexander would put against me for killing both of the women he adores.

I wiped away my tears and my vision cleared significantly. "Woah, slow down beautiful." One man cooed. Judging by his voice, he was at least father's age. "Shut it." I snapped, rushing past him. He gripped my arm and I whirled to face him.

"If you don't let me go, I will make you." I threatened. He scoffed. "Oh yeah?" He retorted, pulling my body against his. "How?" He sneered. I glared at him. "Like this." I hissed. I whirled my entire body, slapping his cheek. I pushed him to the ground before resuming my running.

I couldn't tell people that my family could potentially be dead. I couldn't bear the looks just yet. I tried running faster only to find myself at my fastest.

These blasted skirts weighed too much! It's not like I could remove any, so I kicked off my shoes. The lack of heel made me speed up a bit.

I raced even faster. My heart pounded as I got closer to my house. I heard shouts behind me. "Hey! Miss! Stop, it's the local soldiers!" A random person shouted. Dear god. I didn't truly care. They could take me away once I found out if the British reached my family.

I got several stares but ignored them. I caught a glimpse of Levi and faced him, slowing a moment. "Levi, do to Impeccable Albany Dresses and check if Isabella is alright! She is the owner!" I demanded. He gave me a confused look but started running into the town.

I brushed my hair from my face and continued on. "Stop her!" I heard a soldier shout. "The girl in red!" Another clarified. People started stepping in my path but I either shoved them to the ground or went around.

"Just give me five minutes I swear!" I promised, not stopping or looking back. "What the- Who says that?!" A soldier shouted. I had to get home. I was so so close!

The gate to my house was practically within reach! I felt something hit the back of my thigh and I screamed. I had and forced myself to preserve.

I finally reached the gate and bolted inside, running to the door. I raced in.