no need to be normal (niki)

Requested by sleeppyyyy i hope you enjoy! this is specifically for people who use she/her pronouns btw <3

You fidgeted with your locket, mindlessly twisting it around as you frowned, eyes downcast. Opening it, you managed to smile at the photo inside, you and Niki grinning back at you, arms around each other while she kissed you tenderly on the cheek, holding your hand tightly.

That date had been one of the best days of your life. You and Niki, at a theme park, just jumping from ride to ride, taking silly pictures while sharing cotton candy. Niki had bought you the locket, to keep the memories with you at all times.

Wiping your eyes, you thanked whatever god was up there for keeping it safe while your parents had been messing with it, trying to pry the locket open so they could see what was inside to feed their nosy little brains.

They wouldn't like what was in there.

You knew exactly how they would react, the disgust on their faces while seeing any form of LGBT on TV showing their true feelings about people like you.

Footsteps approached, and you jumped, looking up to see Niki, standing shakily up. She frowned. "Y/N, what's-"

You ran into her arms, cutting her off, holding as tight as you could, sniffing into her shoulder and trying to ignore the tears streaming down your face. Kissing your head, she rubbed your back soothingly, hugging you just as tightly. There was silence for a while, both of you just enjoying each other's presence.

Pulling back, you let her wipe away your tears, managing to give a weak smile. "Parents."

She nodded understandingly, kissing you tenderly on the cheek. "I'm here now."

"I know." Leaning on her again, you sighed deeply. "Just...we won't be able to be like a normal couple, you know?"

She laughed, patting you gently on the head. "And we don't need to be, obviously. No normal couple spends twelve hours playing Stardew Valley just because."

You remembered feeling like doing that was a great idea-playing a game for twelve hours was easy, right? Well, after the sixth hour of farming and fishing, you and Niki had started to go a bit loopy (aided by the energy drinks) and if you were going to be honest, most of what you did was a bit of a blur. But it was one of the funnest things you had ever done.

Managing to actually smile, you wiped away the last of your tears, not even thinking about your parents. "I guess we don't need to be a normal couple."

"Nope."

(A/N-this pic of niki is so saghfdaghsdha anyway, if any of you out there have homophobic parents, just remember i love and accept you, and so do many others, so stay strong! <3)