it took him by surprise (dream)

Requested by st4rgirll and based off this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEc8FJL9kHE

It is a song fic, but since it's not my speciality, i don't think it's a stereotypical one lmao, but pls enjoy!! He's not a good bf in this, please don't think he is :)

The house was empty, silence hanging heavily everywhere, thick and suffocating, pressing as down as hard as it could-and yet, somehow, it was better than the alternative. The house wasn't yours anymore, it was his.

You sighed, leaning your head against a soft pillow, gritting your teeth to avoid tears from coming out.

The door slammed open, practically coming off his hinges, but you didn't move, merely flicking your eyes up to slowly glance at him. He rolled his eyes, sitting down next to you and scoffing when you refused to say anything. "Wow, so you're not gonna say anything?"

"There's nothing to say."

You regretted saying that immediately when you were yanked up, hand gripping your shoulder tightly, nails digging into the skin. Slapping it away, you stood up, taking several steps back to get the hell away from him. Something in his face twisted, and the mask that had been half-covering his face was thrown off, so you could see his whole face. Scars and all.

"You can't say that to me. I've worked so hard for you, and this is how you treat me? You know you love me-you'd be nowhere without me!"

Gulping, you averted your eyes, knowing that he wasn't wrong. This world was tough, and you just hadn't gotten the right chances-honestly, the zombie invasion of your village was enough, but then surviving in the woods for months and being attacked by a group of skeletons was the last straw.

And a whole lot more you didn't want to get into.

He wasn't wrong, and that aggravated you so, so much. Every single time you wanted him to stop, stop being weird and manipulative, stop lying to your face, just stop enjoying making you suffer.

Saving you meant nothing when living with him meant a living hell on earth.

Sighing, you crossed your arms, defiantly staring back at him, feeling a sense of pride when his eyes widened, frowning. His techniques wouldn't work anymore. "I haven't said anything until now, but Dream...when will you learn?" Letting out a hollow laugh, you shook your head as he paused, the gears in his head turning frantically. Pathetic. You couldn't even be scared of this man anymore.

"Learn what? You can't say this-"

"Yes I can, Dream. How stupid are you to not see that nothing's going the way you want it? Your own friends are terrified of you-I'm scared of you! Everything's failing. You know it is."

His face contorted into a pained expression, deep and sending a twinge of sympathy through you, before he smirked, cockily laughing. "That's what you think. You've been inside every day, you don't know what's going on."

It was your turn to laugh, a single, hard, pained laugh that hurt to do. The audacity of this man.

"That's what you think. I'm tired, Dream. Of you."

"Stop-stop that..." his voice was weak, tears forming in the corners of his eyes, and he gripped his hair tightly, knees already starting to bend and buckle underneath him. You watched coldly as he fell to the ground, a scream of anguish ripping out from his mouth, a hand beating at the ground over and over.

It still scared you, the scream making you instinctively want to run and hide, place as many objects between him and you. But you had to be strong.

"That won't work on me. Bye, Dream."

~~~~~

"FUCK YEAH!" Tommy yelled out, pumping his fist in the air, glowing crossbow forgotten on the floor.

You picked it up, handing it over and trying not to accidentally stab him in the eyes (seriously, how could someone be so hyper?) and took one glance at the person behind bars. You promised yourself you wouldn't, but really, who were you kidding?

Face covered by the mask, he looked up at you, and you could imagine the face he was making underneath, eyes narrowed and accusatory, mouth downturned into the same frown you saw for two years.

But he was behind bars, and you weren't.

Making sure he was looking right at you, you smirked, flipping him off before joining the rest, chattering excitedly to Tommy.

You missed the mask clatter to the ground, a single tear following after.

(A/N-not the best I've done, and it's not romantic, but i hope you enjoyed :))