Chapter 13

The streets of Hastinapur were crowded, as usual. Vendors shouted trying to sell their products. As women and men alike formed little groups around various shops.

Bargaining and inquiring about the products. The mouthwatering smell of sweets from a nearby shop sat heavily in the air, along with the smell of sweat and sand.

Panchaali gazed around the place curiously, listening to the different accent of Hastinapur, and the style of speaking. Voices here were a little deeper, and had a higher pitch.

It felt good to be just a number, a normal person, even if it was only for awhile. Dressed in a plain yellow lehnga, she pulled the odhni down a little more, veiling her face even more.

She couldn't let anyone know she was out. Sitting still in that room was making her go crazy, walking out eased her mind a bit.

She sighed, pushing back the dark thoughts, she walked around on the dirt road. A smile tracing on her lips, while she watched a couple of kids, running around, squealing and giggling away.

"Rajkumari, do you think this is a good idea?" Dhara whispered, her voice laced with worry.

"Dhara, call me Draupadi. How many times do I need to tell you this? And second of all, what could go wrong? We are just taking a walk." She whispered softly, so others didn't hear. It was probably the hundredth time, she had told Dhara to use her name.

Panchaali didn't understand, what was so difficult in referring to her using her birth name?

She didn't believe in differences. To her equality was the biggest status, and humanity, the biggest religion.

"But..."

"Shhh." Panchaali cut off Dhara's protest, as her eyes fell on a man who was decked in heavy jwellery, and fine clothes, royal guards surrounded him.

As the villagers around bowed, Panchaali and Dhara following their suit.

"You!" He called pointing to one of the younger girls in the back, and four guards rushed towards here.

Confusion marred Panchaali's face.

"Please! Oh please, let me goo!!!" The girl screamed, as two soldiers wrapped their arms around the girl.

"Let me goo!! Maataaa!" She struggled screaming, her voice raising above all. An old couple cried in the corner, gazing at their daughter with pain in their eyes.

Crying and wailing, her scream pierced the sky. She struggled hard, as the royal man laughed, the malicious sound ringing everywhere.

What crime had the girl performed? She wondered. A guard slapped her hard, making the princess flinch. She went to stand up, but a hand wrapped around her wrist making her stay put.

"No princess! Please Don't interfere." Dhara whispered, she knew Panchaali wasn't understanding what was happening. And for the first time in her life, the handmaid was thankful for the princess' innocence.

"But..."

"Shh come with me!" The maid dragged her away, from the sight, her heart hammering wildly in her chest.