Chapter 7

"We do not count in that. We are her husbands. Let us in." Snapped Arjun, not a bit liking the innosolent behavior of the guard. Any order of this sort, by any royal, never included their better halves, and everyone knew it.

The guards held the spears in place, bowing their heads, not moving a muscle. "We are sorry Princes of Hastinapur.  But those are our orders." Whispered one on the left, Yudhisthir noticed that they were guards of not Hastinapur but Panchaal.

The ones that the King of Panchaal had sent along for their safe journey. Their loyalties were more towards Panchaali than towards the five princes of Hastinapur.

"And this are our orders, step aside before I behead you for insulting my jyest in such a manner." Snapped Nakul, growling at the two guards, who bowed, and after what seemed like forever pulled back their spears, making way for the five to move ahead. . .

The darkness was too thick, so Sahadev grabbed the nearest lantern, and followed his brothers in. They found the room empty.

"Where is she?" Asked the curious second son of Kunti, "There." Pointed Yudhisthir,  as his eyes fell on the silhouette of a woman standing near the window of the room.

"Panchaali." Called Arjun, he watched as she didn't even acknowledge him. Too lost in her thoughts to sense their presences.

The warrior in him frowned, that's so wrong, she could easily be attacked.  She should be more aware of her surroundings, he shook his head at the musings.

She is not a warrior in training, but a princess. Focus Arjun! He mentally admonished himself for getting so easily distracted.

Yudhisthir walked in further with his brothers, "Panchaali." He called, his voice a shy tone louder to gain her attention,  and let their presence be known.

He saw her jump, and mentally cursed himself for scaring her. "Relax, it's just us." Assured Bheem, frowning as he saw her be scared. Who did she think would enter her room surpassing her orders except them?

He didn't like to see him scared, that was one. He liked her giggling better, she had good of those.  It was her second favorite sound after his mother's lullaby.

He watched as she turned her face slightly towards them, the sound of her clothes and jwellery shifting filled the air, as she moved.

Unlike usual her movements were slow, almost like the sadness physically weighed on her. His frown deepened,  concern sitting heavy on his heart.

He watched as she raised her hand, silently making the motion with her hand of a 'what'. He gussed that she was asking what they are doing here?

"We got food." He answered  like those magic words would make her turn around and rush to them happily. Well for him food was everything,  he hardly refused it, who was he kidding?

He never refused it. Food was life. But she held her place, not turning around. He saw her shuffle nervously.

Nakul sighed,  he didn't like sadness in general, and hated it when girls were sad, and this one was his friend,  how could he let her delve in it?

He walked ahead, wrapping his hand around hers. She flinched not expecting the touch. "Geez woman, relax, won't eat you up..." yet. He let the word be unsaid, as he shook his head.