Chapter 4

Gazing out of the moving chariot Panchaali wondered what had her life become. She really had no words to describe it.

Everything was so surreal, almost like a dream. That she wasn't really sure what to make of, the scenery ran past the window.

Just like the time, now any moment she will reach Hastinapur,  after twelve days of journey,  she will meet her in laws.

And to say that she was scared, was putting it mildly. Her heart hammered, rumors and words would spread faster than one can expect.

Slut.

Whore. 

Unworthy.

Unwanted.

And a series of more words, that she had heard since  her wedding twelve days back. Twelve days since she had been around her husbands. 

They had tried to keep as much distance as possible in the public eye, a suggestion by her father.

The last time she had conversed with them, was when she had spend the first night with them.

A soft smile traced her face, as warmth unfurled in her chest.  It was a new feeling, than again many things were still new for her, in her short life she hadn't really experienced much.

And a bond like the five brothers was surreal too. Was it how the bonds of all brothers were? Of all siblings?

Surely hers and her siblings wasn't. She was close to them, but they were more like distant relatives than anything else.

The sounds of chatter had her blinking her eyes, her fingers pulled back the curtains a bit more, as she peered out, people stood on either side of the path.

Hollering and cheering the names of her five husbands. 

She could see some girls send flirty looks to the men she married, she frowned,  not that she was jealous, but was surprised of their boldness.

Now only if she had that much boldness, she shook her head sitting back, letting the curtains fall back on the window, as people turned to her chariot.

She hated attention,  that was one thing that didn't sit well with her. Being a wallflower, unnoticed, was better than being the center of attention.

She sighed heavily, her heart hammering in her chest. As she could feel herself grow closer to the palace of Hastinapur.

She breathed in deeply, exhaling out. Steeling her heart, humiliation was on the way. She just knew it, after all which respected family would accept, the sons of their family share a woman?

How funny was it, she couldn't blame them for their reaction? Yet, she was forced to accept the burn of it.

Her heart quivered harder, as she bit her lip, "Yuvrani, we are here." Called a maid, once the chariot halted, she let the veil drop on her face, her hands trembling.

She stepped out, straightening her clothes, stalling her time. "Putri." Kunti's voice had her turning,  a kind smile was displayed on her lips, but the worry didn't go unnoticed.

"Whatever happens,  remember that you are not alone dear. I am very sorry dear." Guilt was heavy in her words, Panchaali shook her head.

"No mata, please don't apologise. This is my fate." She said softly,  what was done, was done.  There was no longer a point in playing the blame game.

"No, my dear. You would have a better life only if..." Her words were cut off by the shaking of her daughter in law's head. "No mata, a hundred 'ifs' could have happened. If we play this game of 'ifs' than there would be nothing but pain. So, no mata, as your daughter,  I would want nothing but happiness for you." She whispered,  squeezing her hands reassuringly.