Step to You

By aiyanella

When Rose decided to stand in that student-packed hallway, she only thought that she was about to change the... More

NOTESÉ
PRE
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
CAST pt. ONE
NINE
TEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
ELEVEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY-ONE
TWENTY-TWO
TWENTY-THREE
TWENTY-FOUR
TWENTY-FIVE
TWENTY-SEVEN
NOTESÉ
TWENTY-EIGHT
TWENTY-NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY-ONE
THIRTY-TWO
THIRTY-THREE
THIRTY-FOUR
THIRTY-FIVE
THIRTY-SIX
THIRTY-SEVEN
THIRTY-EIGHT
THIRTY-NINE
FORTY
FORTY-ONE
FORTY-TWO
FORTY-THREE
NEW YEAR SPECIAL
FORTY-FOUR
FORTY-FIVE
FORTY-SIX
FORTY-SEVEN
FORTY-EIGHT
FORTY-NINE
FIFTY
FIFTY-ONE
FIFTY-TWO
FIFTY-THREE
FIFTY-FOUR
FIFTY-FIVE
FIFTY-SIX
FIFTY-SEVEN
Cast pt. 2
FIFTY-EIGHT
FIFTY-NINE
SIXTY
SIXTY-ONE
SIXTY-TWO
SIXTY-THREE
SIXTY-FOUR
SIXTY-FIVE
SIXTY-SIX
SIXTY-SEVEN
SIXTY-EIGHT
SIXTY-NINE
SEVENTY -- FINALE
AUTHOR'S NOTE
EPILOGUE
PREVIEW

TWENTY-SIX

1K 100 35
By aiyanella

Rose's POV

It's been what, almost a week since JK started treating me like I don't exist around him.

Even in the house, he doesn't throw me a single look. He sometimes eat alone or skip meals. Jasmine asked me once if we fought but I don't know what to tell her. She just rolled her eyes and didn't ask again.

Now, it's Sunday and we're all busy cleaning our rooms. Auntie is coming and Mrs. Linda, the stay-out househelp is cleaning the rest of the house with her daughter.

I finished mopping my floor, and as I look around my room, I gave out a satisfied sigh. It's clean! I'm going to the grocery store after. I will be baking cookies to give to my club members.

When I got out of my room, fresh from the bath and in my jumpers, I heard Jasmine bawling from her room. Curious, I went to her room. But before I could knock on her door, JK arrived.

It's the first time he was this close to me.

I attempted a smile but as usual, he ignored me. I sighed and followed him in.

"What's the matter?" He asked his sister.

Jasmine sniffed as she approach us. "Nothing!" She said as she picks up the rug and wiped her eyes with it. I approached her and handed her my clean handkerchief. She looked at me and sniffed, "You guys leave me. I'm still cleaning."

"I'll help you," I said, putting my purse on her table.

"Okay." She said and went to wipe her windows.

"I'll go out," JK said. I looked at him but he's already left.

As Jasmine is not used to cleaning, her room is still a bit dusty. So after an hour, I was sweaty again. I tied my hair in a ponytail and drank juice as I sit on her couch.

Jasmine is scrolling through her phone, and I can see she's getting worked up. She wiped her eyes and threw her phone under her pillow, looking annoyed.

"Is everything okay?" I asked cautiously.

She shook her head.

"I see." I stood up, "Well, I am grocery shopping, do you want anything?"

She shook her head.

"Well then," I turned to the door.

"You like JK right?"

I was shocked at her question. I went back to sit in front of her. "Why are you asking?"

She bit her lip. "And he doesn't like you back."

This kid really...

I let out a hollow laugh. "No need to remind me that."

Silence. I can see Jasmine seems to want to say something. I sat beside her on her bed and put my arms around her.

"Do you want to share something?" I asked.

She gave me a look that's very much going to be an eyeroll but she just looked down. I was surprised. This kid has a problem.

"Just leave me alone," she said and went to lie down. She covered herself with her blanket. "Just go grocery shopping or something."

"I can do that later," I said, tapping her back. "You can talk---"

"I said get out!" She shouted, sitting up and throwing me a glare. "I don't need you here!"

I was shocked. Why is she angry all of a sudden?

"Why do you keep on staying here when I told you to get out?!"

I stood. She's just a kid but her words has given an effect on me.

"Yeah, why am I staying? I guess, I really have a knack for choosing to stay even if people pushes me away." I can feel my eyes tear up. "But do you know what that feels, Jaz?" I threw out a deep breath and tap my chest with my rich knuckle. "It hurts. It freaking hurts to be pushed away and you don't know what you did. And you ask yourself, 'Did I do something wrong? Am I that awful to be ignored?'" I covered my eyes and sat down. All the frustration I have with JK surfaced.

I felt Jasmine move towards me and tapped my back. "I didn't mean to..." She sniffed. "Sorry."

I wiped my eyes, "Wow, that's the first time you said sorry to me."

"Is it really painful?" she asked in a small voice, "Not to be liked back, I mean?"

"Of course. Who wants to be hated?" I smiled. "Especially by someone you really, really like..."

"I like Nathan, but he likes my best friend."

I was surprised at this. I always see Jasmine as a little girl but... yeah she's nearing puberty now and she must have her crushes. "That sucks."

"Yeah right. But I think I'm still more fortunate than you are," she said, moving away and hugging her pillow.

"Why?"

"Because I am still young, unlike you. You're old and you still don't have a boyfriend."

( ರ_ರ)

I sighed. "Yeah. And JK hates me."

"He doesn't." Jasmine lay down.

"Huh?" I pulled her blanket.

"Go out now, I'm going to sleep," she said while hugging her pillow tighter on her face.

"But what do you mean by that?"

"Nothing."

"Hey Jaz! How come you said he doesn't hate me?"

"Because!" Jasmine sat up. "JK told me to be kind to you."

"Oh. Right." I stood. "Well... That's expected. Anyway, don't get all too serious with your crushes. You're right, you're still young. There will be more crushes to come. Just enjoy the experience, and make it an inspiration. I'll get going."

"JK doesn't hate you."

I nodded. Then walked to the door.

"Because he is always worried when you're not yet home at night."

My hand froze on the door knob. I turned to look at Jasmine. "How do you say so?"

"He always wait for you to get home, and goes into his room when he hears the gate open." Jasmine sighed. "Are you always with that guy? The one who came here?"

I shook my head slowly.

Jasmine rolled her eyes again. Then lay down and turned her back on me.

I smiled and went out of her room. I immediately turned to look at JK's door.

He always wait for me to come home?

"And he's worried?" I whispered. I held my cheeks which feels like they're burning. So he's worried about me? I thought he doesn't care---

I sighed happily and smiled at JK's door. "Okay. I'll come home early starting on tomorrow."

I turned to go but  stopped dead on my track when I saw JK on the top of the stairs. He is looking at me.

Shoot. Did he saw me staring at his door holding my cheeks and looking stupid????

I coughed. "H-Hi."

He just frowned and walked. "Where are you going?"

I bit my tongue. HE'S ASKING ME WHERE I'M GOING!!! IS HE WORRIED OMG---

"G-Grocery." I breathed.

"Wait for me. I'll go with you."

AAAAAAAAHHHH MOM THIS IS THE DEATH OF ME---

"S-Sure..."

He went to his room. The moment his door closed, I ran away. I thought he hates me. I thought he doesn't care.

I waited inside the car for JK. I can't believe it. This morning I woke up feeling heavy in my heart and now I'm very, very happy that JK is going to the store with me.

It's a quick turn of events for me...

I saw JK coming and I sat properly. Rose Anne, compose yourself. Don't do anything stupid--

He got inside the car. "Seatbelt please."

I obliged.

He started the engine and after a few seconds, we're off.

I glance at JK as he drives. When was the last time I rode in his car? It's like ages ago... I don't remember his car smells so nice. I took a deep breath to fill my lungs with the scent----"Achooo!"

I sneezed ('''"O____O)

I freaking sneezed and I did not get to cover my mouth!!!

I grabbed the tissue and wiped the dashboard which was sprayed with my saliva.

"S-Sorry..." I said in a small voice.

He just clicked his tongue but didn't say a thing.

I bit my lip. You're so stupid Rose Anne! How can you sneeze like that?!

I glanced at JK. He's very focused with driving.

The car stopped at red light.

He looked at me.

I was about to look away when he suddenly reached for my face and wiped my cheek. Then he smiled.

He smiled.

It was a quick smile but he did smile!

And he wiped my cheek--

It turned to green light and he looked in front again to drive.

We passed by the pedestrian lane and the green light of the traffic light reflected in his eyes.

Is it a sign?

Green means go.

Shall I go on and keep on liking you, JK Alison?

---

"What are you going to buy?" I asked JK as I wait for him outside the car.

He clicked his remote car key and then approached me. "We're running out of supplies. Mom told me to restock the fridge."

"Ahh. I see," I walked silently beside him. But then I remembered him telling me not to be near him in public so I slowed down and walked two or three steps behind him. He took a grocery cart and went inside. I took a basket where I could put my cookies' ingredients since I'll be the one paying for it. We went to the confectioner station first. He seemed to be so expert at grocery shopping, he knows where to go and what to buy. He looks so cool while reading the labels for the goods he will buy. I followed him while filling my basket too. When we arrived at the vegetable corner, he faced me.

I stopped and took one step backwards. I smiled apologetically.

He frowned at me. "Why are walking slowly?"

"Huh?"

"I have to walk slowly to wait for you, can you move a bit faster?"

Oh no. He's getting annoyed.

"I... I was just... Sorry." I gripped my basket and looked down. "I was careful not to walk too close or you'll get mad."

I looked at JK. He's just staring at me and I can't read his expression. I smiled. "I'll go pay this and wait for you outside so you can--"

But he let go of the cart, and before I could say anything, he pulled me to him. I have to stop myself from hitting his chest so I took a step back while staring at him in shock.

He's looking at me in the eyes. "Keep close. I don't want to---" he looked down (I gulped) and back up into my eyes (I held my breath) and spoke, "let you slip away from me Rose Anne Leighton."

WAAAAAAAAAAAAH MOM IS THIS THE REAL LIFE OR IS IT JUST FANTASY?!?!?!

He let go of me and sighed. "From now on, stay close."

I was about to say something when an old woman spoke behind us. "Aigooo! My late husband and I were just like that when we were newly married! Such a sweet young couple!"

"No! We're not--" I said but she walked away giggling and saying bless you with many children. I looked uncertainly at JK who just smirked and continued choosing vegetables.

I took a deep breath and half-ran to him. I grabbed the cart handle from him and helped pushing it. He didn't protest.

The vision of the green light reflecting in his eyes flashed in my mind and I smiled.

"Shall I go on and keep liking you, JK Alison?"

"From now on, stay close."

Maybe that's the answer.

Yes, I'll take that as the answer.

From now on, I'll take the risk. "I'll stay," I murmured under my breath as I watch him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

179K 10K 33
It's hard to court someone especially when you're a girl. And it's even harder when that someone still can't recover from his past and you of all peo...
9.6K 712 9
HER life was quite simple, but that is until she gathered her courage and decided to complete her internship in a state prison for men. HIS life seem...
8.5K 733 22
Its a story of a girl Aliyah, who is the victim of poliomyelitis. she struggles through her life. Daughter of well known model father and journalist...
1M 42.5K 50
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...