My Heart Is Yours

By TonnieSeawolf

Two hearts that beat as one. Will they find their way to each other? Or will fate take them on a different pa... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 90-A: The Demo
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 94-A: Demo 2
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97: MHIYxTJ Crossover
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 104: When The Thread Finally Broke
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Epilogue
Acknowledgements:
Finally Published!

Chapter 27

3.3K 383 75
By TonnieSeawolf

Sure enough, when Alden's heart was tested it was a perfect match for Maine. The operation was scheduled immediately as Maine's condition was getting worse everyday.

During the week of preparing for Maine's operation, Alden's wake was also taking place. All eyes were on Jason that time as Alden's friends didn't know about him as well. It was uncanny to see a replica of the person in the coffin, sitting in the corner, eyes red from crying. Jason kept to himself during the wake. He didn't interact with any of the guests who came to see Alden.

Mary Anne and Ted came to pay their respects as well. While preparing for the operation, Maine's nurse, Jenny - who also got a job at the hospital with Dr. Vega's help - volunteered to watch over Maine. It was only then, Jason stood and welcomed them.

After the pleasantries and the Mendozas offering their condolences, Jason asked, "how's Maine?"

"Her operation is scheduled tomorrow," Ted replied. "Dr. Vega is very optimistic about the results after the operation."

"Can I join you on that day?" Jason asked.

"Well..." Mary Anne looked at his parents for approval.

"Please," he looked at his parents with beseeching eyes. "I promise to be on my best behavior. It's just that, Maine would need a friend that day. I'm just there for moral support. Please!"

Rio looked at her son and sighed. She knew how hard it was for Jason ever since he lost his twin brother. Although they were separated, their closeness didn't waver. Jason was in pain, that much she knew. It was like losing a part of you. And it wasn't helping Jason one bit that people at the wake kept staring at him. Jason and Alden were identical twins after all. The only difference between them was that Alden wore glasses and Jason had a small scar in his right cheek, left when he had chickenpox years ago. Details that one would overlook if you didn't look close enough. But the resemblance was uncanny. And people can't help but stare. Maybe it would be good for Jason to be away from the wake for awhile. So she agreed.

So Jason was with the Mendozas during the scheduled operation for Maine's heart transplant. He kept his promise. He didn't make himself a burden on the Mendozas but was very helpful to them whenever they needed something. He ran errands for them and made sure that the couple were well taken care of as they were very worried about Maine's operation. It was a welcome relief for the Mendozas, as they were seeing bits of Alden with his twin.

The operation lasted for 6 hours. There was a nurse that was giving them regular updates on what was going on inside the operating room during the whole time Maine was inside. Finally, it was Dr. Vega who emerged from the double doors of the operating room.

"Mr. and Mrs. Mendoza. Jason," he said as all three of them stood when Dr. Vega approached them. "I am very happy to report that the operation was successful. Alden's heart has been successfully transferred to Maine. She's currently moved to recovery but we'll move her to her room as soon as we're done with the initial post-op care."

The Mendoza couple gave sighs of relief as they held each other in a tight brace. Jason was also relieved at the news. Maine will be alright. Alden made sure of that.

Dr. Vega approached Jason who was standing on the sidelines looking at the couple whom he could see were very relieved with the news.

"I never really got to give my condolences to your family, Jason," Dr. Vega said. "I am really sorry for you loss. It must be harder for you since you're twins. Alden was a great kid. For the short period that I've known him, Maine's comfort was his foremost concern. He would be happy to know that he was able to help Maine by providing his heart to her."

"I know," Jason replied, a lone tear fell down as he remembered his brother. "Eversince they've met, Rich made sure that he wouldn't add to her stress. And he would think of ways to make her comfortable. I know he'd be happy that his heart went to her. He wouldn't have it any other way."

"I'm sorry that you haven't met her personally," the doctor apologized.

"I understand, doc," he remarked. "It would have stressed her more if she saw me. But I would have wanted to meet her though."

"You will," Dr. Vega assured him as he placed his hand on the younger man's shoulder.

Jason shook his head and replied sadly, "by the time Maine wakes up, I'd be halfway across the world. We're heading back to New York after Rich is buried and mom would be joining us. I'll be leaving ahead of them since I need to catch up with school."

"I'm very sorry to hear that, Jason," Dr. Vega replied. He was silent for a while, like he was making a decision, then finally coming with a conclusion said, "come with me. I'll let you go see her now."

Dr. Vega started walking away but paused to look back at a shocked Jason.

"Well," he said. "Don't just stand there. Come on. Maine wouldn't be moved quickly and I'm sure you would need to go back to be with your family. I'm allowing you to see her to say your goodbyes."

When Dr. Vega turned once more, the Mendozas, hearing what the doctor said, urged Jason to follow him. Jason finally came to from his initial shock and rushed to Dr. Vega's side.

Dr. Vega led Jason to the recovery room where Maine was placed. There were some nurses in the room taking Maine's vitals. The doctor requested for them to leave the room and he ushered Jason inside.

"I'll give you a few minutes," Dr. Vega said as he left Jason by the door.

When the door was shut, Jason found himself alone once more with Maine. She was covered by a blanket, a dextrose, and an oxygen hose were attached to her arm and nose. She looked fine, resting peacefully even. She must not have known yet where the heart came from.

He approached her bedside, but he kept his hands on the railings of her bed, afraid that she might suddenly wake up despite the heavy sedatives that she took during her operation. Dr. Vega said that she will be unconscious for a time.

He took a deep breath, let it out slowly and said, "hey Maine! It's me again, RJ."

Jason paused and tried to compose the words that he wanted to say to her if she was awake. 'Why is this harder than composing songs?' He thought as he looked at her peaceful face and he had this urge to kiss her right at that moment.

"I've actually stopped by to say 'good-bye'," he went on. "Rich...I mean, Alden, will be laid to rest the day after tomorrow. And then after that I'll be flying back to New York. I'm way behind in school and if I wanted to graduate next year, I have to pass all my subjects this year.

"Mom will be joining us in New York. She said it's only temporary. Maybe until I've graduated, since Dad did mentioned that he wanted to move back here for the longest time. And now that Mom and him are back together, I think that would be possible."

"I really don't want to leave you, Maine," Jason continued as he kept his eyes fixed on her closed ones. It was still pretty to look at as her lashes were long that she looked like a doll that closes her eyes when you lay it down. "Now that Rich is gone, you're the only one I have left. And I'm sure, once you've found out that he's gone, you would feel lonely too. The same type of loneliness that I'm feeling right now. I wish that I could stay by your side and help you through this. But I can't."

A tear fell down his cheek but he ignored it. Maine's beautiful face was a bit blurry in his eyes but he kept talking.

"Please take care of my brother's heart," Jason said. "His heart is yours now. At least a part of him would always be with you when you go see the world. He would have wanted it that way. Rich would have wanted you to see the world like you've always wanted. He kept his promise. I hope you will make the most out of it."

He finally wiped his tears after a long pause. He leaned forward, trying to whisper to her ear.

"I wish you've met me," Jason said softly in Maine's ear. "I wish we've met on a different circumstance. I wished Rich and I had a fair fight when it came to you. I would have fought for you with the same intensity as Rich that you would have a hard time choosing between us even if he had the advantage of knowing you personally."

He pulled up a bit but stopped as his eyes darted at her lips. He was caught up in the moment that he leaned back down and brought his lips to hers in a soft sweet kiss. It was short and sweet, but Jason felt like he was in heaven.

"Sorry," he mumbled. He slightly moved away but he still kept a close distance between them. He took a deep breath and continued with conviction, "I will come back for you, Maine, I promise. Please wait for me. In the meantime, please keep my brother's heart safe."

-oo-

Author's note:
Anyway, just a disclaimer. I'm really not familiar with the protocols in the hospital after an operation if they do allow people inside the recovery room. So that was purely fiction and to all medically knowledgeable, sorry for it not being accurate.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.1K 3K 68
How does our past affect our future? How do heart aches, heartbreaks makes someone whole in their present? How do you save someone from the world whi...
118K 9.6K 33
YOLO. You only live once. It's overused and some people have used it to justify their impulsive and wreckless actions. But, what if you're given a ti...
760K 49.4K 95
How does one move on from losing a loved one to loving the One? Even if the One was the reason why you lost your loved one. Such is the dilemma of Ni...
213K 8.2K 52
It started as just a simple date... Only for seven months... To please someone they both love... They never meant to fall... But falling with each ot...