My Heart Is Yours

Oleh TonnieSeawolf

Two hearts that beat as one. Will they find their way to each other? Or will fate take them on a different pa... Lebih Banyak

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 90-A: The Demo
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 94-A: Demo 2
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97: MHIYxTJ Crossover
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 104: When The Thread Finally Broke
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Epilogue
Acknowledgements:
Finally Published!

Chapter 7

5.3K 326 61
Oleh TonnieSeawolf

"Alright," Alden said while trying to make his bed. He turned back to his computer monitor and pushed his glasses up the ridge of his nose before sitting back down in front of his desktop. "I really need to go. Talk to you soon!"

"Yup! Same time?"

"Same time."

He ended the YM video call and shut down his PC. He headed downstairs for breakfast. He took two mugs from the cabinet and poured coffee from the percolator. As he sat down, he placed one of the mugs in front of his mom's usual place at the table while he added sugar and milk on his own mug. When his mom placed the plateful of eggs and bacons and sat down next to him, they said a prayer of thanks and dug in their breakfast.

"Dad says 'hi'," Alden mentioned in between reaching for the fried rice and adding some bacon on his place. "He has a meeting so he needed to rush off."

"And how is -" his mom started to say but Alden cut her off immediately.

"He's fine," he answered. "You don't need to worry."

His mom just nodded and continued to eat her breakfast.

"I'll be heading over at Maine's after breakfast," Alden stated as he hurriedly finished the food on his plate.

"Oh?" Rio asked, eyebrows raised and her mug almost touching her lips. "I thought that we were done with the move? Does Ted need your help with something?"

"No mom," he answered. "Maine asked if I can go with them to the hospital today. It's her first check up since she got here. She'll be meeting her new doctor. Her parents are fine with me tagging along."

Two weeks have passed since the welcome dinner. True to their word, the Faulkersons have been a great help to the Mendozas in their move. With the additional man-power, they were able to make arranging the Mendozas new house a home for the small family.

In between lifting the heavy boxes and rearranging the garage with Maine's father, Alden took his breaks with Maine. He kept her company as much as he can, making sure that she had something to do to take away her boredom and distract her when she wanted to help out in the move. Maine's parents were very thankful to Alden for the distraction, that Maine wasn't as anxious as when they were packing up back in Bulacan. He kept her occupied by giving her riddles where she can ask questions only answerable by a "Yes" or "No". Everytime Alden passed by the garden carrying a box or their things, Maine would ask a question which he would immediately answer before going inside. Echoes of "Yes!" and "No!" filled the house each time Alden came out or came in with boxes in arms. The questions would continue until Maine would solve the riddle.

At night before both of them went to sleep, they would continue talking using the two-way radio Maine provided. Their topics would vary from books, TV shows, to other random topics that would pop into their heads. They would only stop when Alden felt that Maine was really tired and needed sleep.

"Okay," Rio said as they finished with their breakfast. "Just make sure that you don't get Maine overly excited. You know how she can be whenever the two of you are together."

Alden just smiled as he gathered the plates to put in the sink. Maine was indeed a bubble of energy whenever they're together, it was hard to think that she has a heart condition.

He was about to reach for the sponge when his mom said, "leave the dishes. Don't let the Mendozas wait for you."

"Really?" Alden sighed and gave his mom a kiss on the cheek and a tight hug. "Thanks mom! You're the best!"

"Of course I am," his mom answered with a toothy grin. "Now go get ready."

A couple of minutes later, Alden said good bye to his mom and headed next door. He rang the door bell and Ate Jenny, Maine's nurse, opened the gate for him.

"I was actually about to get you," said Ate Jenny. "They're almost ready."

"Thanks, ate," he answered. "How's Maine today?"

"Anxious actually," she replied. "She's always like this whenever she has her check-ups. Poor girl. All she ever wanted was to be normal."

Alden just silently nodded as they approached the front door. Before they went in though, Jenny added, "but I have seen slight improvements in her condition. She doesn't tire as easily as before and she smiles more. We have you to thank for that."

Alden just smiled at her statement and pushed his glasses up to ridge of his nose to hide his embarrassment. He was led inside the house that was now fully furnished and well decorated. He was about to sit down on the couch when he heard his name being called. When he looked up, he saw Maine coming down from the stairs, backpack in hand, her usual skip in her steps missing. She smiled as she approached him but the smile didn't reach her eyes. Remembering that she was anxious for today's check up, Alden gave her his best smiles, showing off his dimple and once Maine was at arms reach, he pulled her to him and gave her a tight embrace. Maine was shocked at first but recovered quickly, arms encircling around Alden's waist, she returned the embrace. She gave a contented sigh and snuggled closer.

"Thanks for coming, Alden," she said.

"You don't need to thank me," he replied. "We're friends, aren't we? I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere."

They disentangled themselves from each other and sat on the couch while waiting for Maine's parents to come down. Alden brought out his PSP and introduced her to a game called "Harvest Moon". While he was assisting Maine in setting up her farm and going through the tutorial, he asked, "so is this just going to be a consultation or will they be running test?"

Maine sighed and answered, although she didn't look away from the console, "they'll be doing some series of tests. The usual, ECG, 2-D Echo, and my most hated, the treadmill."

They were silent as Maine started the game. In between foraging in the forest for something to sell, Maine said, "can you come with me during those tests?"

"Will I be allowed to?"

"I'm sure they'll oblige my simple request," Maine stated matter-of-factly without looking away from the game. "I'll feel safe knowing that you're just there."

Alden just looked at Maine with concern as she continued, "I mean, the 2-D Echo is fine. A bit cold because of the gel and since my gown would be partially open, I'd feel the air-conditioning. But the ECG. Well, it stings. And they'll attach around 4 to 5 suction thingies on my chest and I'll be feeling every single one of them. The treadmill is the worst. As the speed increases so is the incline...I really hate these tests."

She sighed and stopped playing. Maine looked up to see Alden looking worried for her. Instinctively, she leaned her head on his shoulder and stayed there. Alden brought his arm around her shoulders and rubbed her arm for comfort.

"If they allow me to go with you," Alden remarked. "I'll be right there. But if I'm not allowed, I won't be far. Just know that I'm right outside the door where they took you for your test. You'll see me soon enough afterwards."

He felt Maine relaxed as he continued gently rubbing her arm.

Maine's parents came down the stairs and saw their position. Mary Anne's heart went to her daughter as she knew that Maine was nervous for this check-up. She begged her parents to allow Alden to come with them today since she never really liked visiting hospitals to begin with. Her tests have been a standard annual thing for her but she'd never gotten used to it. Mary Anne hoped that with Alden there, it would ease some of the anxiety that usually build up every hospital visits.

Ted was just as glad to see the support that Alden was giving his daughter. An unlikely friendship that might lead to something else in the future, that much he could figure out with the way the two teens clung to each other for support, but he didn't want to look ahead much. All he wanted was to make sure that his daughter was fine at that moment, and the boy Alden seemed to be giving her that.

As they approached the teens, Alden saw them first and immediately took his arm off Maine and stood up to greet her parents.

"Sorry to keep you waiting, Alden," Ted said after the pleasantries.

"Shall we go?" Mary Anne added as she led them outside.

Alden took Maine's backpack from her hand and ushered her outside. Jenny was waiting for them, folder in hand with the progress report on Maine's condition.

The trip to the hospital was uneventful and when they arrived, they were immediately accommodated as they have previously set a schedule for her tests. Much to Maine's delight, Alden was allowed to go with her inside the rooms where she will be tested but was instructed to not be in the way. Maine only asked that he'd be in her line of sight all the time. He would smile at her for encouragement whenever their eyes locked and she would relax.

The tests were finished by around noon with the stress test on the treadmill being the last for the day. He could see that Maine was struggling a bit but she pressed on, determined to give a better score than the last time. When she was done, Alden could see how tired she was but the smile on her face indicated that she'd done better that time. Jenny led her away to change as Alden and Maine's parents waited for her to come back.

"Thank you for coming with us today, Alden," Mary Anne said as she reached out and held the boy's hand. "You don't know how much this means to Maine."

Alden just smiled at Maine's mom as he pushed his glasses up the ridge of his nose to hide his embarrassment.

Maine arrived and they grabbed a quick lunch at the hospital cafeteria. By 3pm, they were outside the consultation room of Dr. Bernard Vega, the leading cardiologist in the country. Jenny was inside the room with him at the moment, providing the doctor information on Maine's condition and progress.

When Jenny came out, she ushered the family inside. Alden was reluctant to stand as he knew that consultations usually just have family members in the room with the patient. But Jenny urged him to go with them.

"Dr. Vega would actually like to meet you," she reasoned as Alden reluctantly stood up and followed the family inside the office.

Dr. Vega was a fine doctor who seemed young for the achievements that was denoted to him. He has a sincere smile on his face as he introduced himself and was very polite. His bedside manner was impeccable that Maine was at ease with him as he addressed her about her condition and not to her parents. He explained her condition to her and provided some visuals by drawing her heart and what state it was in, something her previous doctor didn't do.

At the end, even Alden understood her situation and took mental notes on how to avoid getting her stressed or depressed.

"I do see some impressive progress on your condition, Maine," Dr. Vega stated. "But don't get me wrong, the only way for you to really be better is a heart transplant, but your tests have indicated improvements, that I can allow you a bit of freedom in some of your activities."

"Can I go biking now, Doc?" Maine asked with much enthusiasm. She couldn't believe what she heard. She'd be getting a bit of freedom. She'd be allowed to do some activities.

Dr. Vega laughed at her enthusiasm but answered, "well, maybe not biking yet. Your body isn't use to activities so, baby steps. I suggest a 2-5 minute walk everyday. Then we'll increase it as your body adjust to the strain."

"I get to go out!" Maine exclaimed and looked at Alden who was smiling as well. She said to him, "I can actually walk up to your house. I get to visit you too!"

"Well," Dr. Vega continued. "It's a start. But refrain from going over 5-minutes in your walks. At least not yet. We'll see again in three months if there are more improvements, then we'll see if we can add a few more activities for you to do. What we aim to do here Maine is to know how far we can push your body even in your condition. I have so many patients with the same heart condition as yours that is a functioning member of society. I want you to be one of them too. So, we just need to help each other so we can achieve that goal."

"I'll definitely work hard, Doc," Maine replied beaming. "You can count on that."

"Then I'll look forward to working with you," Dr. Vega smiled at Maine. "Now, I would actually like to speak with your parents and your best friend. Can you join your Ate Jenny outside for a bit?"

Maine just nodded and didn't complain as Dr. Vega stood to escort her out of this consultation room. He left instructions with Jenny. When he closed the door and returned to his seat, three sets of eyes followed him.

"You're Alden?" Dr. Vega asked.

"Yes, sir."

"How long have you known Maine?"

"A little over two weeks, sir."

"Ah," the doctor sighed. "So, you are my little miracle worker."

"Excuse me?"

"I've been comparing Maine's ECG and 2-D echo results from her previous tests and I have seen significant improvements on the latter," he explained. "Maine's heart has regenerated slightly which explains how she doesn't tire as easily as before. Jenny also mentioned that since the move here to Laguna, she hasn't used her oxygen except for that first day upon her arrival."

"She's happier," Dr. Vega continued. "And our emotions does wonders to our body. And I think, I have you to thank for that, young man."

"I didn't do anything special," Alden remarked, pushing his glasses to the ridge of his nose to hide his embarrassment. "All I did was just becoming her friend."

"And for someone who doesn't have friends growing up," Dr. Vega countered. "That's a big thing."

Alden just bowed his head, unable to hide the blush that was starting to show in his face. Mary Anne, who was sitting beside him, reached out and squeezed his hands for comfort and encouragement. Alden looked up to face Maine's mom and was shocked to see gratitude in her eyes...and maybe hope as well? He just smiled timidly, though his dimple showing slightly with that smile.

"Your role in the next coming months is crucial, Alden," the doctor said. "Maine would be looking for you for the support that she needs. Try to balance the encouragement and make sure that she doesn't overdo it. As all saying goes, too much is also a bad thing. Find a healthy balance in her activities. I suggest you join her in her walks."

While Dr. Vega spoke to Maine's parents concerning the maintenance meds that he was prescribing, Alden head was reeling. He didn't expect that his wanting to be friends with Maine was having a positive effect on her. He was overwhelmed by the information that he didn't notice that they were done, only realizing it when Maine's parents stood up and shook hands with the doctor. He stood as well and waited for them to walk out of the room.

Maine stood from where she was sitting with her nurse when they came out. Dr. Vega approached Maine and said, "I'll see you in three months, Maine. I really look forward to working with you."

He then turned to Alden and offered his hand out for a shake which Alden timidly took, "I also hope that you can join them again for the next consultation. I want to hear her progress directly from you."

He just nodded an affirmative and gave a small smile. After saying their last good byes to the good doctor, they left the hospital. The trip home was uneventful, with Maine in a better mood than when they left. The positive results of her tests and the feedback from her new doctor gave Maine hope that she will be able to feel like a normal person. Alden on the other hand was silent, but kept his smile and answered Maine's questions about random things to pass the time.

It was already 6pm when they arrived at the Mendozas residence and once they have all got out of Ted's SUV, Alden excused himself so he could head home.

"Talk to you later?" Maine called out to him as he was about to cross the street.

Alden smiled and answered, "yup! I'll just wait for you to call me."

When he arrived home, he saw his mom on the living room sofa reading a book. She looked up as he approached and was about to return to her reading when Alden collapsed on the sofa next to her, and laid his head on her lap. He gave an audible sigh that had Rio worried.

"What's wrong, sweetheart?" Rio asked as she ran her fingers through her son's hair.

"I didn't expect that befriending Maine would be overwhelming," he replied. "I just wanted to be her friend. To see her smile everyday. To hear her laugh at some corny joke that I made. I didn't think that doing that had affected her heart."

"Did something bad happened?"

"Quite the opposite actually," he answered. "There was an improvement in her heart."

"So," his mom inquired. "What's the problem? You clearly have a positive effect on Maine. You should be happy."

"What if I can't sustain it?" He said, voicing out his worries to his mother. "What if I can't be who she needs? What if I'm not enough?"

"Alden," his mom replied. "You're stressing yourself out over nothing. What you need to do is just keep on doing what you're doing with Maine. Share your interests in books and TV shows. Keep telling those corny jokes to her. Make her smile and laugh. You don't need to go the extra mile. Just be you."

Alden rose from where he was lying and was now sitting face-to-face with his mother. His mom reached out with both hands to touch his face so they could see eye to eye.

"You have a good heart, Sweetheart," she said. "I think I've raised you well enough to see that your heart is in the right place. Just don't play around with Maine's feelings. Be the best friend that you can be for her. All she needs right now is a good friend. So just be that good friend. Everything will just fall into place."

"You really think so?"

"I know so," she replied. "After all, I am your mother."

Alden smiled and gave his mom a tight embrace.

"Thanks, mom," he said. "I love you. You're the best."

"I love you too," she answered. "Now, go get cleaned up. I'll ready dinner."

With a satisfying sigh, Alden gave his mom a kiss on the cheek and hurried up to his room to freshen up while Rio prepared their dinner.

-oo-

That night when Alden had washed up and was preparing for bed, he smiled as he heard static coming from the two-way radio that Maine gave him. Reaching out and taking the device from the charger/stand, he waited for her voice to fill his room.

"Alden?" Maine called. "Are you still awake? Over."

"I'm right here, Maine. Over."

"Thanks for today. I wouldn't have gotten through all my tests if it wasn't for you. Over."

"I'm sure you would have still passed everything even if I'm not there. You're just being too hard in yourself. Over."

"But still, thanks. You were there for me. I really appreciate it. Over."

"I'm right here, Maine. I'm not going anywhere. Over."

"So, what's the plan for tomorrow? I really want to start walking around. Over."

Alden chuckled and answered, "let's start with you crossing the street to my place first. Then we'll plot that 2 to 5 minute walk. Maybe just a walk to the corner of our street then back. Over."

"But that's too short!"

"We're keeping to the 2-5 minutes, Maine."

"It's still too short!"

"The Doc said don't over exert. Baby steps, Maine. Baby steps."

"Fine."

"Hey," Alden said as he tried to think of a way to appease her. "After the walk, we could head to my home and we can have ice cream. Mom made some a while ago."

"Your mom makes ice cream?" Maine inquired, her interest peaked.

"She claims that we're trying to do this healthy living stuff," Alden explained as he tried to suppress his laughter. His mother is currently in this phase in her life that she thinks she's overweight and needed to refrain from too much sugar or fatty foods. "Although she uses sugar alternatives, I don't get the whole milk and whip cream. It defeats the purpose of the sugar alternatives. But the ice cream is really good. I just don't have the heart to tell her that the ice cream still has a lot of cholesterol."

Maine laughed at the statement and it filled Alden's heart with contentment hearing her laugh. When the laugh subsided, she said, "I will look forward to that ice cream then."

Alden smiled and he could feel that Maine was smiling on the other end. Comfortable silence followed only to be broken by Maine as she said, "mom said I need to sleep."

"You should," he replied. "See you tomorrow, Maine."

"Good night, Alden," she said. "See you tomorrow."

"Good night, Maine. Over and Out."

"Over and Out."

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

36.4K 7.1K 58
(Complete) After decades, it's the end of an era on The Point. Change is inevitable and Will Drake doesn't like it. Will has the career he always dre...
Reality Oleh Kaylee

Fiksi Remaja

1.3K 158 40
Cora and her family were moving to Maine. All she wanted was to be able to live in the same place as her boyfriend. All she wanted was to be able to...
252K 15.4K 61
A woman doctor (Maine) who wanted to follow the footsteps of her father who was also a doctor serving 3rd world countries as a calling. As she tries...
57.4K 3.4K 60
This story is about two people who are in love with love but are too scared to be part of it. What will happen if they meet? Will they consider each...