Step to You

By aiyanella

When Rose decided to stand in that student-packed hallway, she only thought that she was about to change the... More

NOTESÉ
PRE
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
CAST pt. ONE
NINE
TEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
ELEVEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY-ONE
TWENTY-TWO
TWENTY-THREE
TWENTY-FOUR
TWENTY-FIVE
TWENTY-SIX
TWENTY-SEVEN
NOTESÉ
TWENTY-EIGHT
TWENTY-NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY-ONE
THIRTY-TWO
THIRTY-THREE
THIRTY-FOUR
THIRTY-FIVE
THIRTY-SIX
THIRTY-SEVEN
THIRTY-EIGHT
THIRTY-NINE
FORTY
FORTY-ONE
FORTY-TWO
FORTY-THREE
NEW YEAR SPECIAL
FORTY-FOUR
FORTY-FIVE
FORTY-SIX
FORTY-SEVEN
FORTY-EIGHT
FORTY-NINE
FIFTY
FIFTY-ONE
FIFTY-TWO
FIFTY-THREE
FIFTY-FOUR
FIFTY-FIVE
FIFTY-SIX
FIFTY-SEVEN
Cast pt. 2
FIFTY-EIGHT
FIFTY-NINE
SIXTY
SIXTY-TWO
SIXTY-THREE
SIXTY-FOUR
SIXTY-FIVE
SIXTY-SIX
SIXTY-SEVEN
SIXTY-EIGHT
SIXTY-NINE
SEVENTY -- FINALE
AUTHOR'S NOTE
EPILOGUE
PREVIEW

SIXTY-ONE

1K 89 116
By aiyanella

Rose's POV

"JK... Everything that I worked hard for... It's gone..."

I clutched my mouth with my hands to stifle my sob. Auntie is crying while hugging JK, and she looks so helpless.

"Anna, is everything verified? Maybe they're just wrong..." Mom said.

"What happened, Mom?" I asked.

Mom sniffed, "Garry just called. She's the secretary of Mr. Lucas Nelsonn, a businessman with whom Anna had partnered with. She... She invested all her money with his business but... but it failed."

"How come you invested everything, Mom?!" JK asked. But Auntie just cried even harder.

"Can't it be returned?" I asked.

Mom shook her head.

"Are there any other ways to fix this?"

"I don't know..." Auntie sobbed. She sat up and wiped her eyes. "I don't know..."

JK helped her up and sit on the sofa. I sat beside Auntie and held her hand.

"Anna, I think we should go and see what happened." Mom said, "I'll drive over there, it's still early. We could arrive before midnight."

"I'm going with you Aunt Rhea," JK said, standing up. "You've worked all day. I could drive for you."

Auntie nodded, "Okay. Rosie, can you stay with Jasmine?"

"Yes, Auntie." I glanced at Jasmine who is weeping silently at a distance.

"Thank you," Auntie stood. "I'll just change my clothes."

"I'll wait in the car," Mom said. She turned to me, "Take care of Jasmine okay?"

"Yes, Mom."

When mom left, JK approached me. He looks so down, "Can we talk again when I come back?"

He sighed. Then pulled me into a hug, "Please?"

I bit my lower lip.

I should not be swayed.

No...

He released me and held my shoulders, and looked into my eyes, "Please?"

I sniffed, and wiped my eyes. Then I nodded. "Okay."

He smiled, then kissed me on the forehead. "Thank you. Wait for me."

I nodded again. Then he went out.

I sobbed.

I tried.

I wanted not to be swayed.

But it turned out...

I wanted him more.

***

"So, you gave in?" Jennie smiled meaningfully at me. I'm having a video call with her and Sue.

"Based on what I see in her face, she did," Sue muttered. But she grinned.

I suppresed a smile, "You know I tried. But..."

"This girl's really in love," Jennie said. "When I heard what happened from Van, I wanted to laugh. How come your mom was there all of a sudden?"

Sue chuckled, "Me too! But you should have seen Elise! She strung about 10 curse words in one sentence when you sat beside JK in the car!"

"For real?" Jennie laughed, "Where is she by the way?"

Sue looked at me and sighed, "She said she doesn't want to talk to Rose. You know she's a number one JK anti."

I can't help but be sad at hearing this.

"Hey," Sue gave me a right fist up, "cheer up okay? She'd be fine soon."

"Yeah," Jennie agreed, "she's just worried you're going to be hurt again."

"I'm going to text her later," I said, making a mental note.

"So, how's it going now? You and him would be..." Jennie said, smiling again.

"I don't know. He just said we'll talk."

Sue gasped, "Wait! How about the plan to move out? So you're not going back now?"

I shrugged, "Dunno. But I think I still should."

"I agree with that," Jennie said, "It would be better if you would be apart. So he'll often miss you."

They both giggled. I felt my face burn.

"Where is he going by the way?" Sue asked.

So I told them about the failed investment and JK going to the capital with mom and Auntie.

"Oh no, I hope it would go well," Sue reacted.

"What if it doesn't?" Jennie asked.

I sighed, "I don't know what would happen to Auntie's money. That's the first time I saw her as helpless as that."

My phone rang. It's JK.

"I think I know who's calling..." Jennie said with brows raised. "Sue, let's end the call. Look at Rose getting excited."

"I'm not really---" I denied but they waved at me and then the call ended.

I looked at my phone, took a deep breath, before swiping to accept.

"H-Hello?" My voice slightly shook.

"Rose Anne."

Dug. Dug. Dug. Dug. Dug.

Sheez.

Why is my heart racing like this?!

"How is it?" I asked, still trying to calm myself.

"We just arrived."

I looked at the time. It's 11:16.

"How's auntie?"

I heard him sigh, "She went inside Mr. Nelsonn's house with Auntie Rhea... I... I don't know what would happen if it doesn't go well. It's all my mother worked for, she can't lose everything."

"Let's not lose hope okay? Everything would fine," I muttered.

He let out a sigh.

"Have you eaten?" I asked.

"Not yet."

"Why? You should buy something to eat," I said. What time is it and he's not yet eating?

"Okay."

I lie down on the bed. I listened to his breathing.

"Rose Anne..."

"Hmn?"

"I miss you."

( ꈨຶ ˙̫̮ ꈨຶ ) Am I hearing him right?

No, Rose, you might have misheard.

I laughed, "I think you're hungry. You should grab some food---"

"Okay. Bye."

"Bye."

The call ended but I continued to look at my phone.

"Am I dreaming?" I pinched my right cheek, "Ouch! I'm not!"

I covered my face with my pillow and screamed.

---JK's POV

It seems not going to be fine.

We arrived home at five in the morning. Mom has been crying all the way home, and she went straight to her room upon our arrival. Aunt Rhea urged her to at least eat something, but she didn't even open the door for her.

"I'll call your teacher, JK, and tell you'd be absent," Aunt Rhea said. I'm sitting here in the dining room, and Rose Anne had just finished toasting the bread. Jasmine is watching me in silence.

"You should eat, okay?" Auntie said and tapped my shoulder. "I'll get going. Rose honey, go straight home after class okay?"

"Yes, mom."

Jasmine stood and went upstairs. I know she already knows what is happening.

"Here, JK." Rose Anne put an egg on my plate. "You want some bread?"

I nodded, "Thanks."

She ate in silence. Then, at 6:30, she stood. "Call me if you need anything. I'm going."

I stood and held her hand, then pulled her into a hug. Her warmth travelled throughout my whole system, and the lack of sleep and the heavy feeling inside me lessened. I rested my chin on her right shoulder. Her hands rested on my back.

"It's going to be okay." She muttered.

"What if we lose this house?"

She didn't speak, but just tapped my back.

"I can manage, but what about Jasmine?"

"You all can live in our house. It's not this big, but it could suffice." She laughed.

I released her and held her face, "Don't let mom hear that, or she'll flip."

She chuckled. "Okay. I'm going."

I walked her out of the house.

"Let's talk this afternoon."

"Mm-hm. Get some sleep." She waved, "Bye!"

I went upstairs after cleaning up the table. I stopped by Mom's door. I opened it, and saw her sleeping.

I pulled up her blanket and wiped her cheeks. She's been through a lot.

Actually it's the first time I saw my mom cry like that. That's how I realized how great this problem is. She never cried before because of money. But it's not just money we're talking about here. It's a future she secured for the three of us which just crumbled to dust.

I went to my room. I lay down the bed and it took a long while before I was able to get sleep. When I woke up, it's four in the afternoon. I went down to see Jasmine eating instant noodles in the kitchen.

"Sorry, I wasn't able to cook for you Jaz," I said and sat beside her.

"JK, are we going to be poor?"

I sighed, and shook my head, "Of course not."

"But Mom has lost all her money..." she pouted down her cup noodles.

"She'll fix everything. You know Mom," I caressed her hair. "Drink a lot of water after eating."

"Okay."

I went out. I will wait for Rose Anne outside the house. She'd be home any minute. Sitting on the bench near our gate, I waited. But then my phone rang.

Soyeon is calling.

I accepted her call. "Soyeon?"

"JK. I'm here outside your house."

"What?"

"Can I talk to you?"

I stood and went out. She's not wearing her uniform, and she had brought her car. She motioned me to get inside as she sat down the driver's seat.

I went in. "Talk quickly."

She leaned over to me, "I missed you."

I held her shoulders and pushed her gently away from me. "I'm sorry, Sy. You know from the beginning that we are not---"

"But you kissed me!"

"It's you who did that," I said, my head is starting to ache.

She wrapped her arms 'round my neck, "JK! I know you need me--"

"Soyeon, can you please stop doing this?"

"I know what you need right now! I could help you!" She's staring right to my eyes, then she continued, "I heard Rose Anne talking to her friends about what happened. So I ditched the afternoon classes to go to my Uncle. You know I'm his favorite, right? And you know how big his connections are..." A smile formed in her face, and she moved closely. "I could help you. Uncle could help your Mom."

I stared at her. And my mother's helpless crying rang in my ears.

"What will I do in return?" I asked in a low voice. My hands are starting to shake, my head throbbing even more painfully.

Soyeon's hands played on my nape, "You already know..." She moved her face forward, "Date me." Then she kissed me.

I closed my eyes.

---Rose's POV

I pulled Elise on the hand as I went through the shelves of vegetables. We're here in the supermarket, buying ingredients for chicken stew. Mom said that's Auntie's comfort food.

"Argh! Why would I buy food for Alison--" she said scratching her head. "Why did Sue suddenly have an important matter to do. Argh!"

I laughed at her, "Elise, this time, I know it's different. JK is different. He insisted on talking to me. He said he missed me---"

"You said you misheard it!"

"No, I recalled the convo and I think I did not misheard it."

Elise rolled her eyes. "Fine. Tsh."

She pushed the cart quietly as I fill it with things. We finished quickly, and when were standing on the bus stop with a bag of groceries each, she spoke to me.

"Rose, are you really sure about this?" She had already asked me that this morning, and I gave her an answer.

"I already told you, I am." I hugged her left arm, "Elise, I'm telling you, I'm sure this time. He hugged me twice--"

"I could also hug you twice, even a thousand," she snorted.

I laughed, "Yes, but you're Elise and he's JK. He won't hug me like that if..."

"Fine. Okay. I agree now." She looked at me, "But if--if that guy hurt you again---I'll really, really smack him on the face." I held my right fist up, "and don't you and Sue ever stop me!"

"Okay, okay." I smiled.

A car stopped. It's Jennie.

"I'll drive you home," she told us.

"Sure," I said. Elise hesitated. But I pulled her inside. She sat on the passenger seat, beside Jennie, while I sat at the back with the grocery bags. "Thanks, Jen."

Elise and Jennie talked in front, while I just listened. I'm really occupied right now, and I'm really, really excited about what JK would say.

I can feel it's going to be great.

What if he asks me to date? What should I say?

Of course, idiot. You should say yes!

What if he kisses me?

Aaah I don't know what I'd do!

I held my cheeks. They're burning.

"Tss." I heard Elise react.

Jennie laughed, "What are you thinking that you're smiling like that?"

"N-Nothing!" I said, quite embarrassed.

Elise made a tutting sound again, "What else?! She's daydreaming about Alison again. Tss."

"Don't you want it," Jennie muttered with a grin at Elise, "you and Jim could go on a double date with her and JK."

I laughed as Elise's face crumpled.

"Double date? Ew!" she looked as if she stepped on something disgusting. The car stopped in front of their house. She got out quickly, waved us good bye, before going inside.

I transferred in front.

"I'm so happy for you, Rose," Jennie said as she began to drive again.

"Thanks, Jen." I can't stop smiling now.

"I'm sure you're excited."

"Super," I breathed.

We entered the subdivision. I took out my phone and texted JK.

[I'm near.]

"Sure you are," Jennie said laughing while glancing at me.

I could see the house now. But then I heard Jennie gasp.

I looked at her and she's eyeing forward. So I turned to see what it was.

And then I lost grip of my phone. It fell on my lap. Jennie stopped the car.

JK and Soyeon...

They're kissing, inside a car.

Heart thumping painfully inside my chest, I opened the car door.

Jennie followed me.

JK is holding Soyeon's head, kissing her hard.

Then they broke off.

I'm now walking towards them. Soyeon looked at me, so as JK.

His face is blank.

Then, he pulled Soyeon and kissed her again.

Before my whole body turn numb, I felt Jennie's hand on mine.

Have I been... played at again?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 48K 53
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
77.8K 2.3K 21
Tara , a young adult living in the city of Seoul finds out that her father has taken a great amount of debt from the famous mafia gang leader Niam. O...
1M 18.6K 43
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
1.2K 584 22
In a world where fate weaves a tapestry of tears and laughter, "Tears of Destiny" invites you to follow Liv on her extraordinary journey. Amidst the...