Step to You

By aiyanella

When Rose decided to stand in that student-packed hallway, she only thought that she was about to change the... More

NOTESÉ
PRE
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
CAST pt. ONE
NINE
TEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
ELEVEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY-ONE
TWENTY-TWO
TWENTY-THREE
TWENTY-FOUR
TWENTY-FIVE
TWENTY-SIX
TWENTY-SEVEN
NOTESÉ
TWENTY-EIGHT
TWENTY-NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY-ONE
THIRTY-TWO
THIRTY-THREE
THIRTY-FOUR
THIRTY-FIVE
THIRTY-SIX
THIRTY-SEVEN
THIRTY-EIGHT
THIRTY-NINE
FORTY
FORTY-ONE
FORTY-TWO
NEW YEAR SPECIAL
FORTY-FOUR
FORTY-FIVE
FORTY-SIX
FORTY-SEVEN
FORTY-EIGHT
FORTY-NINE
FIFTY
FIFTY-ONE
FIFTY-TWO
FIFTY-THREE
FIFTY-FOUR
FIFTY-FIVE
FIFTY-SIX
FIFTY-SEVEN
Cast pt. 2
FIFTY-EIGHT
FIFTY-NINE
SIXTY
SIXTY-ONE
SIXTY-TWO
SIXTY-THREE
SIXTY-FOUR
SIXTY-FIVE
SIXTY-SIX
SIXTY-SEVEN
SIXTY-EIGHT
SIXTY-NINE
SEVENTY -- FINALE
AUTHOR'S NOTE
EPILOGUE
PREVIEW

FORTY-THREE

905 83 9
By aiyanella

Rose's POV

"Sweetheart, Happy New Year! I hope I'm there with you tonight."

I smiled at my mom on the screen. "It's okay mom. Just take care of your health and come back when you're all well."

Mom nodded, "Don't worry, I'll make sure to come home before your birthday. Promise! Okay?"

"Yes, mom. And don't worry about me too. It's happy here at Aunt Annaly's house. We got so many food for the new year."

"Okay, okay. But don't stuff yourself with too much food? And by the way, do you have a date tomorrow?"

"None, mommy. I will help here with the guests."

"How about that guy your aunt told me... What's his name again? Vince? V--"

"Vaness, mom. But I call him Van."

Mom clasped her cheeks. "Annaly told me that kid's a real deal!"

I laughed, "A real deal?"

Mom smiled like a teenager who just saw her crush, "That he's sweet and very, very handsome! Is that true?"

I sighed, then nodded as I laugh. "He's kind and thoughtful too."

My mom clapped and squealed. "Oh honey! You know I don't oppose if you get a boyfriend. But make sure to introduce him to me okay? I'd like to meet that Van in person--" Mom stopped and then suddenly looked formal.

"I'm sure you would like him," I said as I rest my chin on my palms. "Van is a funny guy--"

"Eheeerm!" Mom cleared her throat loudly.

I straightened up, "Mom, do you have colds? Are you sick?"

"Eheeeeeerm! Eherm!" She continued to clear her throat while widening her eyes at me. I frowned. Then mom typed a message.

[JK heard you]

My eyes widened and looked behind me. Sure enough, JK is by the door, standing and his arms in his pockets.

"Mom told me to check on you." He told me, then looked at my laptop, "Hello, Aunt Rhea. How are you?"

Mom smiled sweetly, "Oh, JK! I'm fine. Please tell your mommy I'll call her tomorrow evening."

"I will." JK glanced at me then, "I'll leave you both." He left.

I sighed.

Mom spoke in a low voice, "Sweetheart, how is it between you two?"

"We're fine, mom." I wonder what she and auntie are talking about us. "Mom, do you and Aunt Annaly perhaps talk about me and... JK?"

Mom's eyes widened, then she coughed and her eyes looked around her, "No, baby."

I raised my brows, "Mom, I know it when you're lying."

Mom laughed, her laughter the same as Aunt Annaly whenever JK and I are in the same room, "Well, you know Rose Anne, Anna and I have this... this dream when we were just in college that we wanted to be truly related. You know, when we can tell people that we are really family. And... to make that possible, we promised to have a daughter and a son." Mom laughed. "We lost contact with each other after so many years. But, fate must really be working with us. I have a daughter and she has a son! Isn't that wonderful!"

"Mom. But you should not decide for us."

"Who says we're deciding for you? You like JK right?"

"Mom.."

"You like him? Righty right?"

"Mom...can I be honest with you?" I sighed deeply as mom nodded, "I don't... I think I don't like JK."

Mom stopped. She blinked at me, then spoke, "W-What? I---"

I looked at the snow globe on my bed side table. "I don't like JK anymore."

The kiss flashed in my mind.

Him hugging me and asking to hold on.

How my heart flutters everytime he's near.

The Christmas Eve when he held my hand.

"...hold on until I'm sure of what I feel."

Le cœur a ses raisons

Mom moved closer to the screen, "Are you sure baby?"

I nodded, "Yes, mom."

Because I think I love him already.

"But baby, Annaly told me you were... That you surely..."

I took a deep breath and smiled at my mom who looks confused. "I think... I love him."

Mom stared at me for a second, then when she seemed to have taken in what I said, she stood and sqealed loudly. "AAAAAHHHH MY GOOOOSH MY DAUGHTER IS NOT A BABY ANYMORE HUHUHU!"

"Mom! Don't be so exaggerated!" I said laughing. We spent the next minutes talking about this confession, but I made sure I only tell her about th Christmas Eve and the snow globe. I must not tell her other things or else I might find myself in the aisle pulled by Aunt Annaly laughing triumphantly.

****

"Happy New Year!"
"This is our day! Let's partyyy!"
"I missed you guys so much huhu!"

Elise, Sue, and I walked with our arms around each other's shoulders to the restaurant. We'll be having our little feast and go around town.

"Wait, did you call Jennie?" Sue asked.

Elise raised a right thumb, "Of course! I won't forget my darling Jennie. Ah, there she is!"

Elise walked ahead of us and run to Jennie who is already inside the restaurant. She waved at us when she saw us.

"Look at Elise. I can still remember how she used to dislike Jen, but now they're almost inseparable." Sue said laughing. "Did you know she meet Jennie on the 26th and they went shopping."

"Shopping?" I repeated, "Elise went shopping?"

"Yes. Let's go, I want to know what they did," Sue held my hand and pulled me.

I laughed at the thought Jennie went shopping with Elise. Well, Elise doesn't look like it, but she's a spender. When she sees two items and she can't decide which one to buy, she buys both. It's a good thing her dad and brothers give her money to spend. She doesn't always go shopping because of that trait.

We ordered trifles and talked about random things. Well, the greatest thing when you are with friends is that you don't lose anything to talk about.

"---and I found it in a bookstore!" Elise said, relating to us her adventure of finding the right gift to her dad. "Speaking of bookstore. Hey Sue! I saw you enter the bookstore cafe yesterday afternoon."

Sue coughed, "Me?"

We all looked at Sue.

Jennie frowned, "The bookstore cafe? Isn't that the Coffeestains?"

"Yes, that one." Elise said looking at Sue who seems to be in deep thought.

"Coffeestains? That for couples right?" I asked.

"Yes. I had a date there once," Jennie said.

"Oooohhh..." Elise and I reacted.

"Really? Who are you with?" Sue asked Jennie. But before Jen can answer, Elise raised her palms.

"Hep! Don't mislead the topic! It's you we should be asking..."

The three of us leaned closer to Sue whose face is now a brilliant shade of pink.

"I... I just meet someone..." Sue drank water.

"Ehey! You met someone in a couples' cafe?" Elise crossed her arms. "It's okay. You seemed not wanting to tell us."

"I really---" Sue started but Elise ate her trifle. Sue looked at Jennie and me.

"It's okay, Sue. You can tell us some other time," I told her as I tap her back.

Elise whispered to me, "We have to know who that person is no matter what."

After the trifles, we went to look at the booths in Larrison Plaza. From headbands to dresses and glazed apples, we looked at everything.

By the time we have to go home, each of us are holding paper bags in both hands.

"Ah... I really love holidays like this," Elise said.

"Me too," Jennie inspected what she bought. "I can't believe I bought so much with just a little amount of money."

"Don't worry, Jen, if you shop with us, you will get the best discount ever!" I said.

"I'll keep that in mind."

My phone vibrated and I saw a message from Van. He's asking me to meet.

"Okay then, I'll go first?" Elise said. "That's my bus stop."

"I'll ride with Jennie," Sue said.

They looked at me.

"Are you meeting Van?" Jennie asked.

I nodded.

"Aah, Mr. Loverboy!" Elise said, then pulled Jennie and Sue, "Let's go! Miss Leighton, enjoy your dinner!"

I laughed as I watch them walk away.

Van told me he'd be meeting me at Claireton Cafe. That's a short walk from here. I turned to the direction of the cafe and walked.

But I have only taken a few steps when Aunt Annaly called me.

"Hello, Auntie?"

"Rosie?"She is sniffing.

I stopped walking. "Auntie? Are you crying?"

"Rosie, dear, can you... can you please come home quickly?"

My heart pounded within my chest, "Y-Yes, Auntie. But what happened, is everything okay?"

But Auntie just cried.

"I--I'll come home now, Auntie. Please calm down," I took the first cab I saw. I ended the call and sent Van a notice that I would not be able to go.

I hope everything is okay at home...

What could it be that Auntie is crying like that?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.8K 1.4K 12
When people see someone they find attractive, they are naturally inclined to give the object of their affection their full attention. Note : * Engl...
1.1M 19.3K 44
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
6.2K 531 8
"Buy me a ring and prepare for my marriage registration tomorrow."
4.8M 259K 65
[A WATTPAD FEATURED STORY AND ON THE WATTY'S 2018 LONGLIST] "As if I'm dreaming, his lips touch mine. It's awkward, with my head turned to the side a...