Step to You

By aiyanella

When Rose decided to stand in that student-packed hallway, she only thought that she was about to change the... More

NOTESÉ
PRE
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
CAST pt. ONE
NINE
TEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
ELEVEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY-ONE
TWENTY-TWO
TWENTY-THREE
TWENTY-FOUR
TWENTY-FIVE
TWENTY-SIX
TWENTY-SEVEN
NOTESÉ
TWENTY-EIGHT
TWENTY-NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY-ONE
THIRTY-TWO
THIRTY-THREE
THIRTY-FOUR
THIRTY-FIVE
THIRTY-SIX
THIRTY-SEVEN
THIRTY-EIGHT
FORTY
FORTY-ONE
FORTY-TWO
FORTY-THREE
NEW YEAR SPECIAL
FORTY-FOUR
FORTY-FIVE
FORTY-SIX
FORTY-SEVEN
FORTY-EIGHT
FORTY-NINE
FIFTY
FIFTY-ONE
FIFTY-TWO
FIFTY-THREE
FIFTY-FOUR
FIFTY-FIVE
FIFTY-SIX
FIFTY-SEVEN
Cast pt. 2
FIFTY-EIGHT
FIFTY-NINE
SIXTY
SIXTY-ONE
SIXTY-TWO
SIXTY-THREE
SIXTY-FOUR
SIXTY-FIVE
SIXTY-SIX
SIXTY-SEVEN
SIXTY-EIGHT
SIXTY-NINE
SEVENTY -- FINALE
AUTHOR'S NOTE
EPILOGUE
PREVIEW

THIRTY-NINE

917 89 9
By aiyanella

Auntie placed the final batch of Christmas cookies into the oven. Then she clapped her hands and faced us. "Rosie, Jasmine, do you want to go with me to Haneul Home?"

"What's that?" Jasmine asked.

"Isn't that an orphanage, Auntie?" I said remembering a volunteer work I have done back in my second year.

"Yup. I've been sponsoring Haneul Home for six years now. They're holding a Christmas party in celebration with the orphanage's twelfth anniversary," Auntie faced the oven. "Later today, I will do some Christmas shopping for the kids. Jaz, you are coming with me okay?"

"What about Rose Anne? Isn't she coming too?" Jasmine eyed me while pouting.

"No. Rosie will stay at home and," Auntie turned to us again with a smile I think know the reason for, "...she will wait for JK to come home!"

I smiled uncertainly at Auntie, but I think she has mistaken it for excitement. Jasmine just rolled her eyes and left the kitchen without a word.

"Didn't you miss him, huh, Rosie?" Auntie held my arms.

"Erm..." I just laughed. JK left two days ago and went to his grandfather in the countryside. He is Auntie's uncle, because her parents were gone long ago. She told me her uncle took care of JK when she left to work abroad.

"I called Uncle, and he said JK wanted to stay there til Christmas." Aunt Annaly sighed. "But I talked to JK and he agreed to come home today. You know, I wanted to introduce you to my friends." Auntie giggled, "I wanted to formally show you to everyone. You know, you're going to be a part of the family."

I nodded and did not comment. If JK is here, I'm sure it would be another cause of argument.

"Okay, so I will leave the rest to you while me and Jazzy go shopping. Bye bye!"

"Bye Auntie," I said with an inaudible sigh. After a few minutes, I heard the car go. The cookies took a while to bake and when I finished transferring them to the jar, I sat down and took my phone.

I stared at JK's name in my call log. It's been how many days since the missed calls, but he's still not talking to me. He didn't even told me he's going somewhere far, I just got home one day and heard from Jasmine that her brother went to their granduncle.

Another thing is, Mom can't come home for Christmas. She is all well now, but her boss insisted on getting the last check up. I am not saying anything but I feel something about that boss of hers... Shall I call mom and ask? I've been meaning to ask her eversince last night's video call---

My phone rang. It's Sue.

"Suey? What's up?" I went to the living room and slumped onto the couch.

"What are you doing for Christmas eve?" Ah, she knew Mom isn't coming and I'm staying here for the rest of the holidays.

"I'm going with Auntie to the Christmas party at the orphanage. Why?"

I heard her sigh. "I thought of going to the Larrison Park. There will be a Christmas show."

"Really?" Street concerts, cupcakes, and fireworks!

"Yep. I talked to Elise, she's going too."

"Aren't you staying with your families?"

"My parents don't want to bother. They said my sister and my brother aren't coming and we'll not be complete so why party?"

I can imagine Sue looking down. They have this tradition of a family reunion where her siblings who both have their own families will come home and celebrate. I have attended their family party once and it's one of the few best Christmas eves I ever had.

"How 'bout Elise?"

"She said her dad would go to his hometown. And her brothers are all busy."

I sighed. "Well, I think I would ask Auntie if I can go with you instead."

"Really?"

I smiled at the sudden excitement in her voice. "Yes. Auntie mentioned about introducing me as a family member---"

Sue coughed, "As a what?!"

"Awkward, right? Imagine how JK would react." I stared at the ceiling.

"He's still giving you the cold shoulder, I suppose?" I heard worry in her tone.

"Yep. And to think that we even ki--" I sat up, ROSE YOUR MOUTH!

"What?" Sue asked when I did not continue.

"We even ki---eep seeing each other at home," I wiped my forehead. "Yes..."

"Tsk, tsk. You know what, you really should move on. He's obviously not... not going to like you. I mean, is there any time he showed you a sign?"

"Don't look for other guys. Don't look at others. It's me you should be looking at... Let's just... keep things going. I honestly don't know if I already like you. But one thing I am sure is... I don't want to lose you. I even don't want to think about it. But Rose Anne, please hold on. Until... Until I am sure of what I feel."

Isn't that a sign?

And the kiss...

"You are not misunderstanding anything about the kiss."

"Hello, Rosie, are you still there?"

"Yes, yes, uhm.. sorry. What is it again?"

"I was asking about JK. Did he ever show you some interest?"

"I... I don't know."

"Tsk. Then just let go. Don't let your self be more hurt as you are now."

Sue...

"You deserve more. Okay?"

If only you know...

"So, well, it's set? We'll have this Christmas eve all by ourselves! Byee!"

"Yes. Bye."

The call had ended a while ago but I'm still staring at it.

I'm lost.

I honestly don't know what to do or think now.

Is JK really...

"Please hold on. Until... Until I am sure of what I feel."

But until when should I hold on?

----JK's POV

I stared at the beach. It's afternoon, and I know I must go now if I wanted to catch the last trip home. It's Christmas and the buses are surely jam-packed.

"JK, son," my grandfather called. I went to him. He's not really my grandfather, morelike, he's my granduncle. I stayed with him before. "You should better get going. Or you'll miss the trip."

I nodded.

"Ah, right, can you," he took something from his pocket. A watch, "give this to your girlfriend?"

"Girlfriend?" I looked at him in shock.

Grandpa laughed, put the watch on my hand and tapped me on the back. "I was your age when I met your grandma."

I sighed. "Did mom tell you about it?"

He gave me a nod, "You know your mom. She still has that talkativeness even at her age. I heard the girl is your mom's best friend's daughter?"

"She is not my girlfriend."

"Oh really? But---"

"I don't know what Mom said, but I don't have plans on becoming that girl's..." I looked away. Again, the vision of her being so close with Van Richardson flashed before my eyes.

"But you like her?"

I looked at grandpa's smiling face. He gave me a particularly hard tap on the back. "JK, son! There's nothing wrong with liking the girl your mother has chosen for you."

I shook my head. "Did mom tell you I'll marry Rose Anne?"

Grandpa laughed again, "Oh no, no, son. But she told me you have changed a lot since you met that girl."

"I... changed?"

"M-hm. So give that to her as my present."

I looked at the watch. It's old.

"I gave that to your grandma when I proposed to her. You see, we don't have a child, so it's for you to give to the woman you're going to marry someday. But finish your study first," he laughed.

"But you told me to give it to Rose."

"Is she the one you wanted to marry?"

"I'm don't know. Even I am not sure of what I feel." I stared at the watch. "Grandpa, how did you know it's grandma when you first saw her?"

"Oh, I didn't know it was her the first time I saw your grandma. It took me so long, son. I almost... lost her." He looked at the sea. "I don't know how much I would regret if I didn't choose her back then."

Regret...

"Now, go home, son. They're waiting for you."

I nodded. I hugged him and took my bag.

On the way to the station, I received a text from Jasmine.

[Where are you?]

I called her. "Jaz? What's with the text?"

I heard her sigh. "Bro, mom is throwing a fit because of you. You said you're going home?"

"Yes, but what happened?"

"Rose Anne said she will not go to the party. Mom said it's your fault."

"Why should she be obliged to go?" I took a place at the end of the line to the ticket booth. It's already 3pm, I still got time.

"Because," Jaz spoke in a low voice, "apparently she's going to introduce her to her friends. As your future wife---"

I stopped.

"---It's ridiculous right? I don't know why mom really likes Rose Anne. She's not that---"

"Jasmine. Tell mom I won't be home for Christmas."

"What? But---"

"Bye." I ended the call and turned back.

Mom. How much are you going to take just to take control of my life?!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Yours By .

Fanfiction

6.8K 658 21
She's a social media influencer while he...is not her type, but fate brought them together from the awkward moment to a memorable ending (well, hopef...
291K 6.6K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc
9.6K 712 9
HER life was quite simple, but that is until she gathered her courage and decided to complete her internship in a state prison for men. HIS life seem...
8.6K 161 54
Well, this is a collection of Sonic and Amy's secret relationship before Sonic Boom : Friend or Foe. They had a sweet and simple dating life before S...