➳ 35: the big uneasy

THE hybrids were fast asleep in their bed and the only sound coming from their room was that of their shallow breathing. Ingrid was lying on her side with Klaus pressed up against her back and his hand drapped across her baby bump. They were suddenly startled awake by a loud sound coming from the courtyard. They sat up and climbed out of bed before walking out to find the source of the noise.

Ingrid yawned and rubbed her eyes while pulling her shirt down over her stomach. She squinted her eyes to see there was a series of men doing a construction on the courtyard.

Klaus walked out onto the balcony while shouting loudly in aggravation. "Enough with all the racket!"

"Is there a problem, brother?" Elijah questioned with a smirk then dismissed his construction team. "Gentlemen, please."

"I agreed to a general sprucing up, not a bloody three-ring circus." Klaus sneered as he made his way down the stairs.

"Elijah... it is so early." Ingrid complained with a groan. "Can this wait until later, please?"

"Ingrid, it is almost eleven in the morning." Elijah informed her with an amused smirk.

"And your point being?" She questioned, raising an eyebrow. "It is too early. I need sleep. It is exhausting growing a person."

"I will try to remember that." Elijah laughed and turned back to his brother, looking around in disgust. "Marcel and his minions abused our home for the better part of a century. Now, you might be content to live in squalor. I'm not."

"Okay, I can concur." Ingrid remarked with a yawn and waved a hand at him. "Carry on then. Please just keep it down."

Just then Genevieve strolled into the compound with a wide smile. "I agree with your brother. It's a new era in the French Quarter. This place could use a makeover."

"Kiss ass." Ingrid grumbled too low for her human ears to hear.

"Careful, Elijah. When this one agrees with you, it's a sure sign she wants something." Klaus snarled in a patronizing tone.

"Actually I do have a request." The red headed witch nervously said and turned to Elijah. "I'm told our coven hasn't been able to celebrate feast days in the open since Marcel restricted the use of magic. Now with the new peace, I'd like that to change."

"Am I to assume that you have a certain feast day in mind?" Elijah questioned with narrowed eyes.

"La Fête des Bénêdictions." She answered in a cheery fashion then translated it. "Feast of the Blessings. In the past, members of the community offered witches gifts in exchange for blessings. We'd like to use it as a forum for introducing our young Harvest girls to society."

"So your coven attempted to destroy my family-- and you yourself held my siblings in unspeakable torment-- and you would like a party for the witches?" Elijah questioned incredulously, crossing his arms over his chest, and the other Mikaelsons chuckled at his tone.

Genevieve glared at all of them and smiled condescendingly. "Why don't you think it over?" She suggested before turning on her heels and leaving their home.

Klaus smirked at his older brother and pointed a finger. "Oh, don't be such a stiff, Elijah. The tourists love a good festival." He remarked while walking toward his bedroom again.