➳ 103: god's gonna trouble the water

INGRID walked into the courtyard and joined Klaus, who was sitting in one of of armchairs. He looked up at her and held his arms out, inviting her in. She climbed onto his lap, straddling his waist, and cuddled up to his chest. He wrapped his arms around her and kissed the top of her head. She sighed heavily and sunk down in his embrace. "What's wrong, love?" He asked in concern, rubbing her back soothingly.

"Hope's flight lands in a few hours." Ingrid replied sadly with a deep frown. "I need to start packing but I can't bring myself to."

"I don't want you to leave." He whispered ruefully and kissed her forehead.

"I don't want to leave either but I can't risk it." She explained, turning her head to look up at him. "We've already pushed it. How many more times can we risk it before it ultimately implodes on us?"

Klaus was about to respond when the plants around them started to wilt. He sat forward and studied them in concern. "If these houseplants gasping for life is any indication, there's another Mikaelson in New Orleans."

"Hope is in Mystic Falls with Freya. Kol would rather die than return to New Orleans and Rebekah has been strict about following rules." Ingrid mused, thinking over all the possibilities as she climbed off Klaus' lap. "That leaves--"

"Elijah." Klaus finished for her with a knowing expression on his face.

Ingrid was packing her belongings when Klaus returned to the compound with with suspicious look on his face. She studied him and placed her hands on the back of her hips and narrowed her eyes. "What did you do?" She asked in a knowing tone of voice.

He was about to respond when Marcel angrily stormed into the room. "What the hell is wrong with you?"

"Elijah had to go." Klaus replied pointedly then shrugged his shoulders with a small smile. "I did the city a favor."

"By inflaming Greta's vampires? She's already their martyr. What do you think they're gonna do when they find out you've murdered her daughter?" Marcel asked incredulously.

"Let them come. I'm in the mood for a fight." Klaus encouraged smugly as his phone buzzed in his pocket. He picked up the call and greeted them. "Yes."

"Elijah says he wants to talk to you." One of Ingrid's hybrids explained from the other end of the call.

"Put him on." Klaus replied quickly.

"What did you do?" Elijah breathed out in horror.

"That's a question you should be asking yourself, isn't it?" Klaus sneered bitterly.

"Her family was in danger." Elijah defended himself, his voice quiet and shaky.

"And what a hero you turned out to be." Klaus remarked sarcastically and Ingrid rolled her eyes as she taped up one of the moving boxes.

"This is revenge. You force me to watch her die just to show me how it feels." The older brother snarled angrily.

"I'm taking great pleasure in knowing how terribly she'll suffer." Klaus mused with a wide smirk.

"You listen to me, okay? Anything happens to her, I will never forgive this." Elijah sneered out slowly, his tone threatening.