➳ 6: before sunset

NIKLAUS was packing up things around the house while Rebekah stormed into the house with a bewildered expression. "Alaric Saltzman just tried to kill me."

"Alaric Saltzman is dead." Ingrid remarked with a pointed look as she set a cardboard box down on the ground.

"Well, he's not and he's a vampire thanks to mother's spell with a white oak stake that can't kill him." Rebekah explained to them in a stern manner then glanced at Klaus with wide eyes. "He's strong, Nik. Too strong."

"Where is he now?" Klaus questioned as he continued to pack.

"He's stuck at the school without a daylight ring, but as soon as night falls he'll come after us. We need to leave now." Rebekah advised sternly and Ingrid nodded in agreement and spoke up.

"I agree. We don't need to stay in Mystic Falls for the rest of eternity." She remarked pointedly.

Klaus glanced between them for a moment before nodding. "Fine. I'll collect Elena, we'll be on our way."

"Forget Elena! You don't need any more stupid hybrids!" Rebekah snapped at him.

"What I need is protection from Esther's continued assaults against us." He reminded his sister strongly.

Rebekah shook her head while blinking repeatedly. "We'll protect each other, like we always have. Always and forever, Nik!"

"I'm not leaving without her." Klaus commented, refusing to budge from the subject.

"I'm leaving now. You can either walk out that door with me or you both are on your own." She offered the couple and Klaus looked up at her but said nothing. With tears in her eyes, she scoffed and sneered at him. "Fine. Trust your hybrids over your family. Let your spite be the death of you, see if I care." Rebekah pushed past him, walked out of the room, walking straight into Tyler on the way out. "Move it, sire boy!" She yelled while harshly shoving him out of her way.

Tyler stopped in his place and gaped over at her direction in confusion. "What's her deal?"

Klaus stared at him and didn't responde while Ingrid waved a hand and shook her head. "Mind your own."

Tyler nodded slowly and continued his walk through the room. Once he was out of earshot, Ingrid turned toward Klaus and gave him a stern expression. "Elena will not be accompanying us. I will not spend the next eighty years taking care of a doppelgänger." She sneered in disgust then held up a finger when he opened his mouth. "No arguing. If you choose to pursue Elena, you will do it alone."

"We need hybrids to protect us, love." He argued strongly, taking a step toward her.

"No, you need hybrids." She corrected him and raised an eyebrow. "I never cared for the creation of my own hybrids. That was always you, my darling. I do not wish to make you choose between myself and them but I am about to evoke a choice. I refuse to allow Elena or your hybrids be the reason we are murdered." She informed him with a blank facial expression, refusing to back down from her position, then turned on her heels and walking out of the room. "Make a choice." She called out while officially leaving the den.

A few hours later, Ingrid recieved a call on her phone and furrowed her eyebrows at the unknown number. She slid the green answer button across the screen and brought the phone to her ear. "Hello?"