➳ 77: behind the black horizon

"NIKLAUS, I'm pregnant."

Klaus paused, processing the three words he hadn't been expecting to hear. He stared at his wife with an unreadable expression and she began to internally panic at the thought of what his reaction was going to be. What if he didn't want another child? Will he reject them? What if this is the wrong time to have another child?

He engulfed her in a tight hug and whisper in a teary voice. "We're having another baby?"

She smiled and let out a deep breath of relief, returning the embrace and holding him close. "Yeah." Ingrid whispered back, her voice cracking emotionally. "We're having another baby."

Tears of joy fell down both of their faces and neither one wanted to let the other go. They held each other close while sobbing quietly in pure happiness.

Eventually, Klaus pulled away and glanced down at the five positive pregnancy tests in her hands. He stared at them in amazement before taking them from her and setting them down on the bedside table. He then grabbed her face in his hands and placed kisses repeatedly over her face. Ingrid smiled happily and wiped away the tears that fell from his eyes.

Klaus reached down to rest his hand on her abdomen and Ingrid placed her hand over his while they both gazed at one another affectionately through tear filled eyes. Emotions swirled around between them.

He tore his eyes away from her and looked at the clock to look at the time to see that it was past four in the morning. Just as he turned back toward Ingrid, she yawned softly and rubbed her eyes in exhaustion.

Smiling, he stroked her cheek and offered a suggestion. "I think it's time for bed."

She nodded in agreement while letting out another yawn. Klaus laughed and walked her over to the bed, held the covers back for her, then wrapped them around her once she was comfortable on the mattress. She gave him a look while he covered her up with the blankets. "I can do it myself."

"I know." He replied with a smirk and leaned down to place his lips on hers, kissing her passionately. He climbed into his side of the bed and wrapped his arms around the woman next to him.

It didn't take long for Ingrid to fall asleep but Klaus lied awake all night with an ecstatic smile plastered on his face. The only sound heard was that of the owls cooing outside and Ingrid's shallow breathing. He twirled the ends of her long, brunette hair as he thought over all the possibilities.

In the morning, Klaus walked into their room with Hope on his hip and a plate of breakfast in his other hand. He set Hope down on the bed and the mattress dipping as she crawled toward Ingrid, waking the female hybrid. She opened her eyes to see her daughter sitting next to her.

"Mama!" The toddler cooed happily and climbed on top of her.

Ingrid smiled happily and pulled Hope into an gentle hug. "Hi, baby." She greeted in groggy voice and kissed the palm of her hands.

Klaus sat down on his side of the bed and leaned over to kiss both of them on the head. "Good morning."

"Hmmm, good morning." Ingrid mused with closed eyes, snuggling closer to Hope. "What time is it?"

"Don't worry about it, love." Klaus beamed at them and smoothed out Ingrid's hair. "I brought breakfast." He informed her in a song song tone. "And if you don't wake up, I'm going to eat it all by myself."