➳ 11: we all go a little mad sometimes

KLAUS wandered around the excavation dig site in Italy, watching them dig for Alexander's sword, while Ingrid stood a few feet away, making sure everyone was doing their job. He sent a text to Stefan saying: "We have a problem."

Stefan was quick to call him, sneering at him after he answered the phone. "How the hell did Connor escape?"

"I'd blame my numbing incompetence--" Klaus began to say causing Ingrid to snicker to herself.

"Of which there is plenty." She commented, earning a glare from her husband, while looking down at her perfectly manicured fingernails.

"--but pointing fingers isn't going to help me, you're going to help me." Klaus continued on with an annoyed expression.

Hours prior to their landing in Italy, Connor Jordan had gotten free and chopped off the head of one of Klaus' hyrbids. Stefan sighed heavily in exasperation. "Well, he could be anywhere now."

"Think, Stefan." Klaus encouraged, speaking to him in the way you would a child. "He took the hybrid's head which means he wants werewolf toxin."

"Which means he plans to stay in Mystic Falls to kill vampires." Stefan stated in realization.

"Which is a pity, as I'm half the world away digging up a dead hunter, you'll have no access to my or Ingrid's blood and therefore, the antidote." Klaus taunted with a wicked smirk on his face. "Nevertheless, his tattoo is our only map to the cure, so your task is quite simple; find him, catch him, and above all, keep him alive." He gave the order in a stern voice. "He's no good to us dead."

"Damon's been looking everywhere for him, if they cross paths..." Stefan trailed off suggestively.

"You'll need to keep Damon in check." Klaus remarked in a serious tone.

Ingrid smirked with an amused facial expression. "That seems close to impossible."

"Be a lot easier if I could just tell him the truth." Stefan remarked, hoping that Klaus would ease up with his order of secrecy.

"You trust Damon with the cure? I imagine he prefers Elena the way she is." Klaus said with a knowing smirk.

Ingrid couldn't contain her laughter and glanced at Klaus with a matching look. "Of course he does."

"Nice try, Klaus. But I trust Damon a hell of a lot more than I trust you." Stefan sneered in aggravation, not playing the Original's game.

"And I trust no one." Klaus reminded before turning toward Ingrid and shaking his head, mouthing. "Except you." She rolled her eyes and shoved his shoulder but he continued on with his phone call. "Which is why my sister is lying daggered in a box. The more who find out about the cure, the more who will go after it. Nations have gone to war over less. You mark my words, tell one soul and I will throw the hunter's sword in the Mediterranean and we can end this quest right now. Am I understood?"

Stefan said nothing in return and simply hung up the phone. Klaus chuckled to himself while putting his phone in his pocket. Ingrid licked her lips and smirked at him. "I wonder how he'll take the news."

"Oh, which part? That Elena is really sired to you or that she is truly in love with Damon?" He rhetorically questioned with an amused smile and the Mikaelsons laughed together at the situation.