➳ 36: an unblinking death

ELIJAH was sitting in one of the armchairs in front of Ingrid's desk in her office as she sat in her chair across from him. He had one leg crossed over his lap and wiggling his foot. Ingrid stared at him while tapping her fingers against the wood of her desk.

"What is wrong, Elijah?" She asked him in concern after they sat in silence for a few minutes. She grew impatient and uncomfortable with the thick silence surrounding them.

"I took it upon myself to punish Marcel and his band of filth for their violation." He informed her in a vague manner causing her to raise an eyebrow. He shook his head slowly as he recalled the events from the night prior. "I killed Thierry to make an example but I fear Marcel is not quite finished."

"He will never be finished until our family is gone and he has his throne again. Now whether that be leaving New Orleans or our death, either way it is all the same. I don't think he cares. Although, he definitely wants Niklaus dead and I would not put it past him to try." Ingrid reminded him with a pointed look. "Wait until he comes to the conclusion that killing an Original, kills the blood line." She added with a smug smirk then sighed and pointed a finger at him. "Just be entirely prepared for him to strike again."

Elijah was about to respond where there was a knock on her door. He smiled over at her and made a face. "Niklaus." He mouthed over to her and shook his head with a small laugh.

"Come in, darling." She called out to him with a warm smile and shot Elijah a warning look.

Klaus walked into the room and shut the door behind him. He walked over and kissed her on the cheek before searching furiously for something on the bookshelf.

Elijah turned around in his chair and glanced at him in curiosity. "Can we help you find something?"

"Yes, in fact, I believe you can. I'm looking for a book, about yea big--" he motioned with his hands and smirked condescendingly. "--filled with our mother's most powerful spells. It appears to have been misplaced."

Elijah pretended to be surprised and spared a glance at Ingrid. "How very mysterious."

"Hmm." She mused lowly and sat back in her chair. She knew Elijah had hidden it but he refused to tell her where.

"Indeed. At first, I feared the witches had succeeded in their efforts to obtain it, but considering their last attempt ended with me relieving a rather large, tattooed gentleman of his hands, I began to wonder if the thief wasn't a bit closer to home." He sneered with a bitter smirk then noticed Elijah nonchalantly scribbling in the notebook in his lap. "Don't make this harder than it needs to be, brother."

"Well, admittedly, I did have a theory that your sudden interest in mother's grimoire was in some way related to whatever foolishness you've been conducting with the Crescent wolves." Elijah smoothly replied then looked up at him with a smile. "Therefore, I took it upon myself to carefully place it where naughty little fingers could not pry."

Klaus walked toward him, an expression of annoyance. "And here I thought you, of all people, would understand. I am simply trying to help those wolves! Play Samaritan to the abused. Champion to the underdog, so to speak."

"How splendidly noble of you." Elijah remarked sarcastically.

"Have you ever considered that, like you, I am trying to keep Hayley safe? Using our mother's magic to empower her people so they are capable of protecting her?" Klaus questioned him with pointed look.