➳ 69: savior

THE courtyard at the Mikaelson compound had been completely made over with Christmas decorations including a huge tree in the middle of the room that was adorned with white lights and gold and red baubles.

Freya was weakly lying on the couch, her broken arm bound up in a makeshift sling. Ingrid walked down the stairs to see the sight and turned to the witch's savior in concern and rage. "What happened?" She demanded, storming toward them.

"She got jumped. Three vampires, all dressed like yuppies." Jackson explained quickly.

Ingrid raised an eyebrow in confusion before realizing what he meant. "The Strix." She sneered out venomously.

Jackson nodded with a deep sigh. "Yeah. She needs your blood."

Ingrid bit into her wrist and offered it to Freya, who gladly took it without hesitation.

"They took it. The Serratura." Freya informed the hybrid then groaned in pain and frustration as she pushed herself into a seated position. "I was meeting with a witch from the bloodline who built the lock. I was hoping she could help me destroy it, but it's not possible. She said the only way to get rid of it is to use it. We have to get it back and lock something else away. Anything but our family."

"Freya, I don't care about that right now." Ingrid reassured her sister-in-law. "We'll figure it out but you need to focus on yourself at the moment."

"I'm afraid we have a far more urgent problem." Elijah added, walking into the room. They all turned toward him but he just looked over to the entrance to the courtyard causing the trio to meet his interest.

Rebekah walked into the room, looking pale and tired, and smiled warmly at her family. "Well, to be fair, I am the prettiest urgent problem you have ever seen."

Ingrid stood straighter on her feet and narrowed her eyes, still furious about her involvement in Hope's kidnapping. "Rebekah..."

The Mikaelson sisters sat side-by-side on the couch while Freya examined the skull-shaped seal on Rebekah's wrist. Elijah was pacing around beside them while Jackson watched them with worry. Rebekah signed in frustration before addressing Freya with a small smile. "Give me the bad news, Doc."

"Aya's stake was cursed. It infected you. As this mark grows, you will go mad. Left unchecked, you will become a relentless, unstoppable Ripper." Freya reluctantly explained, frowning deeply.

Rebekah sighed again and rolled her eyes sarcastically. "Aya always was thorough."

Ingrid chuckled humorlessly and rested against the back cushions. "True." She mused dully with a raised eyebrow. "That is one thing I admired from her."

"The Strix always employ a safeguard. In the event that we were successful at retrieving your body, you were cursed. You see, if one is on a rampage, one is not difficult to hunt." Elijah remarked in aggravation then turned to Freya with a concerned expression. "Can you fix this?"

Freya picked up the stake and examined it, noticing a set of unfamiliar-looking runes carved into the end of it before nodding weakly. "The spell is carved here. I can... I can reverse it." She quickly stood to her feet but it was clear by the dazed look on her face and the quiet tone of her voice that something was wrong with her. "I just... need some time... and a hell of a lot of magic."