➳ 81: the bloody crown

INGRID had eventually cried herself to sleep in Klaus' arms. Klaus put her to bed and frowned at the tear stains on her cheeks and the memory of her painful screams. He let out a heavy, deep breath and kissed her on the forehead. He then walked out of the room, toward Hope's nursery. He saw her sitting in her crib, wide awake, and picked her up.

Klaus held her close and rubbed her back. "What better life might have awaited you, were another man your father? All those who have loved me, have lived to regret it. But I do know this, my littlest wolf, I will do right by you and your mother." He promised sternly, nodding to himself in determination.

Elijah walked into the room and approached Klaus from behind. However, Klaus didn't turn to look at him and spoke in a cold tone of voice. "What do you want, Elijah? If Ingrid sees you, she will kill you and I don't think I'm too inclined to stop her."

Elijaj licked his lips anxiously and stared at his brother's back in guilt. "I'm not foolish enough to ask your forgiveness, so I'll say it again..." He trailed off, shaking his head. "I had no choice. We protect this family at any cost."

"And was Marcellus not family?" Ingrid questioned darkly from the door way. They both turned to face her with terrified expressions on their faces, anticipating what she may do next. Truth be told, Ingrid was far too exhausted to get physical at that moment. "When we say "protect family" we mean all of the family. Not just the people you pick and choose." She snarled furiously at him, jabbing a finger in his direction. "You murdered my son." She whispered in a heartbroken tone, her voice cracking as the tears welded up again. "This is so much different than when I murdered Hayley or Camille. Marcellus was my son. Don't play this off as having no choice because you had a million other choices yet chose the wrong one."

"I have done... unspeakable things to save this family and I will admit, I'm the first one to mess it all up. But I make sure my choices are calculated to every possible outcome before proceeding." Ingrid pointed out in a stern manner, tears falling down her face again. "This.... this was irresponsible and cruel."

"Ingrid..." Elijah whispered her name, almost scared out of his wits to even speak to her in that moment. "I was doing what I thought was best.
I had no other choice---"

"Except you did!" She interrupted, yelling loudly in rage and scaring Hope. The toddler began to cry and cover her ears causing Ingrid to frown in regret. "Oh, no." She walked toward Hope and took her from Klaus, holding her head to her chest and swaying her back and forth. "I'm so sorry. Mama didn't mean to scare you." She soothed her child and kissed her softly on the top of the head while glaring at Elijah. "We do not pick and choose which family member is worth protecting. We protect all or we protect none."

Klaus stepped forward with an angry expression and gestured between himself and Ingrid. "You think we're not aware how heavy that burden is?" He asked curiously, waiting to hear an answer that wasn't an excuse.

Elijah shook his head and sighed with a flat lipped look. "No, I think that this time... that burden is simply too much to bear."

Klaus had no words, he was stunned speechless at how his brother was trying to justify the murder of his son. Ingrid, however, had one last thing to say to her brother-in-law before he tried to leave. "You are the family that is not worth protecting."

Elijah looked hurt for a moment and nodded his head in understanding then turned around and walked out of the room.

The couple heard a struggle upstairs and glanced at each other in confusion. Ingrid set Hope down and closed the door as they ran out of the room and toward the gate. Kol and Elijah walked out of their respective rooms and joined them. A crowd of vampires showed up, closing in on the Mikaelsons just as Marcel entered the compound. "Never thought it would come to this. But as always, The Mikaelsons made my choice for me."