What He Won't Know Won't Hurt - Part 2

Start from the beginning

You always got weird looks from your family and sometimes even Cindy when you had first told her when you started talking about how you thought he might be your first love. But what no one realized, is that what Peter lacked in what was shown to be the stereotypical high-school boyfriend, he more than made up for with his heart.

Peter cared. So deeply. He cared about everything. About the bees, about equality, representation, kids who get kicked out of their homes for their sexuality or gender, about people without a safe place to stay, about the people who can't defend themselves. He cared about you.

Peter's heart is so large, and he tries his hardest to make room in it for everyone.

You could feel him watching you. Narrowed chocolate colored eyes behind glass lenses tracking your every move, noting every word, and picking apart your body language as you spouted out a generic excuse about why you've been acting the way you were lately. Trying to throw your friends off guard and to not give away that it was because of the very boy sitting just six feet away from you that you've been hating yourself for.

You silenced yourself by shoving a couple cheese puffs in your mouth, looking down at your feet as you felt both Peter and Cindy burning holes into your face. One set because she knew exactly what was going on, and the other because he could see through you and was intent on finding out exactly what you were keeping from him.

"I feel like we've been eating all your food and using all your living space and you never complain, Y/N." Abe states, making you look up from where you were scrolling through a bunch of Twitter threads with the hashtag Spider-Woman.

"I complain." You said with a small eye roll and placid smile. "It's just that no one cares."

"I can confirm." Cindy spoke without even looking up from her paper.

"We work too hard. The five of us should go to the movies or something."

"I second that!" Ned said immediately.

"I'll ask my parents," Cindy agreed softly.

"May and Ben should be cool with it, as long as it's you guys."

All heads turned to you.

"Y/N? Movies?"

You shrugged. "Sure. If this means what I think it means and I can get out of paying my share." You grinned and earned sarcastic eye rolls from the group.

"Cool." The murmers of the plan settling rumbled through the room.

"And since you're getting into a movie for free," Peter began with another eye roll and flashing a toothy smile in your direction. One that nearly made your heart jump straight out of your chest, "you're showing up on time. No excuses!"

"Okay! Okay," you laughed nervously. "Once we set up a date, I'll put it in my calender. No excuses."

While you put on a show on the outside, you couldn't help but to feel Peter's words had a second meaning. He knows there's something you're hiding, and that thing is the same thing that causes you to show up late, or cancel plans completely. You know he has too, and it's only a matter of time before he pieces it together.

Instead, you slipped Cindy's textbook out of her lap, making the girl look up at you with a quizzical expression.

"Listen up, nerds," your eyes scanned the page on chemical reactions, "quiz time!"

•••••

"Hey Y/N, Uncle Ben can't pick me up until a little later because there was some problem with the stations power and he swears he can fix it without calling the electrician." You heard Peter behind you and you turned around to see him tucking his phone into his back pocket. "Some kind of bet going around I think. Is it— is it cool if I just stay here?"