He's A New Book

A/N: this might be my new favorite chapter.
Word count: 8,409, so it's another big one. Should I start splitting them again? Also, should I start adding pics/gifs?
Warning(s): flashbacks/memories/ dream(s) are italicized. Breakups and angst, but then also relationships and fluff. Woo!

"Hey Y/N," You blinked and inhaled sharply at the sound of your name catching you by surprise. "You good?" Looking over to your left to face your mother sitting on the couch next to you.

"Huh?" Then you smiled. "Yeah, I'm fine." You answered.

"You sure?" She scrunched her eyebrows from not truly believing you. "You looked like you weren't here. Something you wanna talk about?" She asked sweetly and you gave her a small smile.

"Nah Mom, I'll be okay." You reply, forcing a smile onto your lips. You didn't want to admit that your head was in a different place just yet, you were still trying to wrap your head around what you had gone through just two days ago. You hadn't told anyone, not your closest friends, or family, about your breakup. Not yet.

You knew your own mother could see right through your lies most of the time, but for some reason, maybe because it was because you were void of emotion at this point in time, she believed you and turned her head back to the movie the two of you were watching. Not even a week ago, you had wanted to watch the cheesy rom-com, but today, when you actually had the chance to, it was the last thing you wanted to see.

When it happened, you were numb. Shocked that you actually had to go through with it— that you did go through with it— was your explanation. The only one you could come up with as to why you weren't balled up in your bed, crying yourself a headache. The shock clouded the feelings. You knew they were right there under the surface, and they were going to boil over at any time now. You just didn't know who was going to be there, if there even would be someone with you, when they did.

The room was cold as the winter wind howled outside harshly, making the windows chatter in sync with you. School had been cancelled because of the blizzard outside, which you were grateful for, because you couldn't even imagine going outside in this weather, but at the same time, you thought that the school might have had their heat working if it was open.

"He said he can't get here until Monday!" You heard your mother exclaim and you turned your head to face her as she emerged from the kitchen, her hand still on her phone from where she just got off the line with the building's landlord. "He knows it's negative forty degrees right now, and we have no heat, right? You'd think he'd understand that." She huffed, annoyed with the results she had gotten, and you pulled the blanket that was over your body closer to you.

You were covered head to toe with clothing, wearing an old Captain America onesie with shirt and pants underneath, gloves on your hands and a hat on your head. This was the second day in the row with the extreme temperature drop, and the second day with zero heat. Your mom sighed and sat down next to you, grabbing her own blanket and mimicking your actions of covering herself up.

"Think of it this way," you began. "He won't get his money if we're dead," You laughed, giving your mom a small smile to which she shook her head but couldn't hide the amusement in her eyes.

She reached for the television remote, aiming to turn on the T.V. so you could have some entertainment while you slowly froze to death, but stopped her action when the both of you heard a hurried knock on your front door.

"Who the hell would be crazy enough to travel right now?" You asked as you stood up, wanting to give your mom a chance to raise some body heat. Making your way to the door, you slowly opened it up, and you were met with a familiar smile.