Warmth [HolidayVerse]

"Hi."

Your fingers stilled from their nervous fidgeting when Peter's voice guided you out of your thoughts. Looking up, you were met with his soft smile from across the sofa, a hint of humor in his eyes as he hid his amusement — quite successfully, if you might add.

"Hey." You mumbled, reaching out as Peter slipped his hand into yours, sliding over until he was next to you and leaning over to lie his head on your shoulder. His other arm curled around your waist, and you instantly dived into the comfort.

"Y'know, you've been in a staring contest with the Winter Soldier, sparred against the Black Widow, and fight crime for a living — yet, you still get so nervous around Aunt May, it's almost unbelievable."

Peter's cheek twitched, and you felt his smile growing against your skin. You, however, kept your gaze locked on where he molded his hand against yours, letting go just to press your palms together before interlocking your fingers again.

"That's because she's your Aunt May." You answered lamely, as if there were no further explanation. The boy just nodded because he knew; you've had this conversation the first time he brought you home to meet her.

It surprised you both, how much of your bravado had disappeared once you had stood in front of the apartment door and knocked to meet May for the first time. Like it had suddenly dawned on you that this was the woman who had raised Peter, as well as the sudden feeling of acceptance you craved from her. She was the most important person to Peter, and therefore became the most important person to you.

Of course, nothing bad had happened. She greeted you with a warm smile and was nothing but inviting and curious in all the best ways. If anything, Peter had been the one nervous by the end of the day in a turn of events. As he watched you and his aunt hit it off so quickly, he feared the both of you together would be both the best and worst thing to ever happen to him.

Even if it has been years since then, you could never shake those feelings of nerves away. At least, not until the conversation progressed and you could finally convince your brain that there was nothing to worry about.

You admired May in her entirety; from the way she single-handedly raised Peter while working two jobs, to how she could simultaneously the most comfortable person to be around but also held that air of authority that comes from being a parent, to how she couldn't tell salt and sugar apart unless she did a small taste test beforehand.

You saw so much of Peter in her — or should you say, you saw so much of May in Peter. His aunt — as well as his late uncle — made the boy into the one you knew and loved; from the small quirks to even personality traits. You respected May, and you soon found yourself placing her alongside Pepper, whom you also saw as your parental figure, and you knew part of you would be complete if you could please her.

"She loves you, you know that," Peter reminded you in a tone that you could only guess was complimented with a roll of his eyes. "But if it helps, she's always just as nervous as you are."

Intrigued, you raised your eyebrows, but a small scoff escaped your mouth instead.

"No, I'm serious!" Peter sat up and you turned to face him. "She thinks she might do something to scare you away, since I've never really dated anyone before." Peter cleared his throat as he paused, a light flush creeping up his neck. "Besides, she's wanted this way longer than I have. She really likes you, which makes me really happy, because I really like you too."

You felt your face heat up as blood rushed to your cheeks, and before you could saw a word, May emerged from the kitchen, wiping her hands on a dish towel and looking like she had just gotten back from the Sahara Desert.