Mistletoe Revelations [HolidayVerse]

What was it they said about Christmas time? That it was the happiest time of year?

You tried your hardest to believe that until you truly did. 'Fake it 'til you make it' and all that jazz.

For some reason, missions have been picking up like crazy for the Avengers. It was the holiday season, but you have been part of this semi-dysfunctional family long enough to know that even superheros didn't get breaks sometimes.

It worried you more than it should. Maybe it was the cold New York temperatures outside that added the extra chill of fear or maybe it was just you being more paranoid than usual. You figured you shouldn't blame yourself for it. After all, since Thanksgiving, you had been nervous something would go wrong; something you would never recover from.

Well, luckily, you had made it nearly to the end of December with minimal problems. Note that there were a few bumps.

It took a week before you and Peter could act normal around each other again. Seven days filled with awkward glances and stumbled sentences that slowly but progressively transitioned back into your normal banter and comfortableness. You figured Peter decided to take the route you had: forget all about it until it came back to bite the both of you in the ass.

It's been nearly a month since that whipped cream apple pie mess. A month since you almost kissed your best friend. Peter Parker. The boy you've known inside and out and trusted with your life for well over five years.

Well obviously, you didn't know him as well as you thought you did. Maybe you didn't even know yourself as well as you thought you did. Because that afternoon, you were 100% certain he was about to kiss you, and you made no attempt to stop him in any way.

But now, you were dancing around (to the best of your ability) and singing in the Avengers Tower to holiday music blaring from the overhead speakers while you did your hardest to contribute to making every floor as festive as you possibly could. Even now, this close to Christmas, you still found tacky decorations you could add.

As per your request, the lights were dimmed except the giant tree in the corner of the main communal floor. It was a massive thing, only a foot from touching the 9 foot ceilings. A beautiful Christmas evergreen that couldn't be more perfect — you had Tony Stark's money and Thor's strength to thank for getting that tree into the Tower.

It stood undecorated, since you had wanted to wait until all of the Avengers were gathered as a whole before it got decorated, but it didn't stop you from spending over five hours untangling balls of wire and lighting the entire tree yourself on one boredom induced day when the entire Tower was pretty much empty because S.H.I.E.L.D. had called a high alert mission that needed everyone that could get. Including Bruce and Peter.

You hated that you were left behind, as you did every time you weren't allowed to go on a mission, but Tony's paternal instincts took over and commanded you stayed back because of the injury you sustained the last mission; taking a gunshot to the leg to cover Natasha who had been at the moment holding on to a metal beam and dangling above a 60 foot drop so she could recover and take care of the guy that was aiming to kill her. He shot you in a blink of an eye, piercing the flesh of your thigh, but better that than Nat's chest. Your thigh had been healing up nicely, since the mission had been just after Thanksgiving, but you still sported a crutch and a limp. Definitely not up to going on missions again just yet.

But the injury did not hinder you in any way when it came to lighting a Christmas tree. Even when you had to drag out a ladder to reach the top. You successfully lit that bad boy all by yourself and had the fresh scratches all over your arms and the piney scent now embedded in your bloodstream to prove it.