The Secret of Spider-Man - Part 2

January 25, 2016

The first thing you noticed when you shut your locker in the morning was that Peter wasn't behind the door like he normally was, attempting to scare you, and never succeeding after he had made it routine same time every day. Your smile faded and your eyebrows creased from confusion.

Peering past the students between yours and Peter's lockers, you searched in the direction of his. Usually you were the one who took the longest before Peter dropped you off at your home room (something he had also started after he found a shortcut to his, and you didn't mind in the slightest), but today, you saw Peter at his locker. It looked like he was struggling to pull his hand out. It was like it was stuck. That was weird, and this was Peter you were talking about.

You held onto your bag as you walked over. Right before you had reached his side, he pulled his hand out and relief crossed his face. His face...you noticed he wasn't wearing his glasses. That was something else that confused you, because you remember a conversation not even a month ago that Peter had told you he was nearly blind without them. You wondered if over the weekend he had gotten contact lenses.

"What's up, Pete?" You greeted, holding in a laugh when the boy in front of you jumped from surprise, turning towards you with such a speed you would think he was training to be a ninja.

"Hey Y/N." Something was...off. Looking at Peter, you don't remember him being this tall on Friday at the field trip to OsCorp. But then again, maybe he just had a major growth spurt. The both of you were only fourteen, and still growing. Anyway, he had shot up at least two inches—maybe three.

You were never one to blatantly stare at Peter while he was right there in front of you, but as you were doing a once over of the boy to see if you could spot any more changes to add to the two you had just noticed, your eyes subconsciously—okay, maybe consciously—lingered on his chest and arms. His face was a little blurry, as it wasn't your main focus at the moment, but you could feel his eyes watching you and the rose colored blush begin to creep up his neck. There was no mistaking the muscle mass Peter seemingly contracted in the span of two days; his shirt was probably a size smaller than it should be, and that was the biggest shirt you thought he had owned, seeing it on him before and it was decently baggy. Maybe you overlooked his height on Friday, but you were certain he was a lot leaner than the boy in front of you then.

You felt your own face begin to flush at the sound of Peter's voice, ripping you out of your thoughts. "Is...something wrong?" The question was hesitant, and Peter seemed to shrink into himself in attempts to make himself look smaller. There was no way he didn't notice what you had noticed, and now he was unsuccessfully trying to hide it.

As much as you wanted to bombard him with questions, you got the feeling maybe you shouldn't. He obviously knew he was different, you would be super surprised if he didn't. You knew Peter could be dense at times, witnessing a couple of conversations with multiple hints he never seemed to pick up on firsthand over the almost five months you've known him, but a change like this was something he definitely would know happened. "No! No, you just..." you pressed your lips into a thin line as you tried to think of the right words to say. "You look...different?" You cringed, knowing you probably could've come up with a better phrase.

"Yeah?" Peter said softly, as if he didn't already know, closing his locker and slinging his bookbag over his shoulder. "...how?" He asked hesitantly.

"No glasses!" You blurted. "It changes your entire face Pete," you forced a laugh which thankfully sounded natural enough, trying to steer the mood away from becoming awkward and tense the hardest you could.