What He Won't Know Won't Hurt - Part 5

Before we get started with today's roller coaster, let me say Happy Birthday Bucky Barnes! Yes, I will be cooking cake later. And no, no one is allowed to bring up the fact why he  couldn't actually celebrate this one. That being said, we love one (1) recovering war hero, and I hope TFAWS gives him (and Sam!) the help (t)he(y) need.

You were the happiest you had been in weeks as you sat outside with your friends, arms linked with Ned and Cindy as you all belted out Disney songs one after the other. Each performance always ended with a bout of laughter before the process started from the beginning all over again.

The movie ended a little while ago, but the five of you shuffled through New York like a herd of sheep until you found a couple of benches around a fountain in a small park, making it into a temporary pitstop.

"Okay, okay, what next?"

"Can we expand the categories from Disney to musicals? I wanna sing something from Heathers!" Ned asked, earning cheers from Cindy and Abe.

"Wait, how creepy do you think we sound right now? Just a bunch of kids singing echoing through the park. What if someone on the other side thinks we're ghosts or something?" Ned then followed up, and you found yourself actually contemplating the odds behind your grin.

Just as Ned himself shrugged off his questions, starting to sing, easily getting you and everyone else to join in, you found Peter staring at you. Your grin grew and you gestured for him to take the seat next to you that Cindy had just left to better sing dramatically on the edge of the fountain.

You tried not to let it show just how happy you were when he quickly slid into place, linking his arm with yours the way Ned's was on your other side and closing his eyes as he threw his head back to sing.

It didn't take long for Cindy to notice, and thankfully the only acknowledgement she made was a tilt of her head.

For an amazing moment, it had felt like absolutely nothing was wrong. Everything was just like how it should be. Like how it had been. Like how you hoped it would still be.

So when the hair on your arms stood on end, a sharp buzzing thrummed deep in your brain, and you had the sudden urge to flip around toward the buildings across the street, it had hit you like a bag of bricks.

You froze while this perfect memory continued to form around you.

Peter was the first to react as you pulled yourself away from him and Ned, your thoughts growing louder and louder as they screamed at you that something bad was about to happen.

"Are you—are you okay, Y/N?"

You stumbled over the bench, quickly catching yourself. Cindy was next to stop singing. Then Abe.

"I—I gotta go." You stammered out, and Peter stood up like a rocket, reaching out to grab your wrist.

"What? Why? We don't have to get to the bus stop for another twenty minutes."

"I..." you hated yourself even more as you spoke these words, tugging your hand away from him. "I can't tell you. I just gotta— I gotta do something real quick. I'll be right back."