Something Just Like This

45. "If you think kissing me is going to distract me from what you're hiding, you're sorely mistaken."

Request from my friend ananyapfangirl, who's been helping me keep inspiration since we met. 💙

[Edit from future me--This AN is decently long. Sorry. Words per paragraph ratios are different on a laptop compared to a mobile device. Also: I'd appreciate if anyonce could answer the question at the end the best they could :) ]

I actually played fast and loose with the prompt, so what's written is actually an interpretation of the line. It's still highlighted, but not the exact words. With the idea I had, the actual quote didn't quite fit so I altered it so it would. Don't worry though, because I do plan on writing another oneshot using the exact prompt. Something more lighthearted, heartwarming and maybe slightly comedic. 

That being said, a warning for the following story consists of some classic hurt/comfort. I tried to not write the angst for you Anu, I really did, but it just sort of...happened. Sorry!! It does get better by the end!!

I also had written this in it's entirety about a week ago, but then I looked at it again (1 day before scheduled posting) and realized I wanted to rewrite it because it seemed a little off. When it was mostly rewritten, Something Just Like This decided to play (because I'm never not listening to music), and towards the end you can definitely see where the lyrics inspired me. So, nope, not a songfic, but I did take the title. And also changed the original ending because of it.

You weren't exactly sure what you were expecting. You never could figure out how his brain really worked, how he was able to hide his pain from everyone with a smile and pretend nothing was wrong. You didn't know what know what was running through his brain, but you promised yourself that whatever it was, you were going to be prepared for the words that were unavoidably going to leave Peter's mouth. 

It pained you, seeing him like this. Like something psychological was physically paining him. And for all you knew, it was. For the last few weeks, you could tell there was something he wanted to tell you. The words always on the tip of his tongue, but never spoken out loud. You could tell by the way he looked at you when he thought you weren't paying attention. The way his expression always faltered, becoming pensive. How he hesitated to reach out to you, even if he was right by your side. But most inexplicably, the fear that wells in his eyes, darkening his iris's. More than you would like to admit, recently, Peter had been starting to look at you like at any moment, you were about to make a decision that would break his heart. 

The thought flashed through your head to just ask him about it, since you could so clearly see he was struggling. To sit him down and tell him it was okay. That you could see him look at you like every day was his last, and you wanted to know why. But night after grueling night of contemplation, you decided against it. 

Out of all the years you've known Peter Parker, he wasn't one to keep a secret. Not for long. Hurting people was the last thing he ever wanted to do, only rivalled by feeling like a burden on the ones he loves. But if it came to it, he never kept a secret without a reason. He never told you anything without a reason. You trusted Peter, just as he trusted you. Even after the two of you started dating, your trust in him never wavered. You were just hoping it was the same for him.