Contrition

A/N: I just found out that my last day of school is June 17th. I can't wait for me to have even more time to be lazy and actually go weekdays without having to do homework.
Help, I'm having so many ideas for this but all of them can't be executed unless it's a series instead of a oneshot. (Like how there is a pretty big chance this is getting an unplanned pt 2 in the unforeseeable future)

Warning(s): This is decently sad. I've been in a constant state of "I'm either writing super fluff or mega angst."

The heart monitor beeped steadily as Peter laid unconscious on the bed. A grim reminder that a member of the Avengers was in a critical condition; a member of the team of superheroes who could do anything.

He had been out for a couple of hours at this point, but Bruce said that he should wake up by the morning if it wasn't too late. If they weren't too late. The injuries he sustained would've killed a normal person, but luckily for Peter—if you could even say that—he wasn't a normal person. His powers kept him on the brink of death, kept him from dying. But he also wasn't getting better. And if he was, it was taking too long.

You watched as May sat in the chair next to him, clutching her nephews hand tightly in her own. Tony had sent a car for her the moment they were on the quinjet speeding back to New York, the man himself was pacing the floor by the end of the bed.

"All right, we're coming up on the drop point." Steve announced, pulling back from the screen next to Clint with the coordinates. "Everyone remember the-"

"Yes, I think everyone remembers the plan. You've drilled it into our heads at least fifty time in the past two hours, Cap." You interrupted him. Most days you wouldn't, but you heard his voice repeat the same directions too much for your liking, and you were fresh from detention. He had already unknowingly struck a nerve. Steve sent you a hard look because of the attitude before his gaze softened and he sighed, continuing.

"Natasha, you're our intel agent. Bucky's going to be there to watch your back, the two of you rush through and don't worry about us. Vision and Sam, you're perimeter. Me and Wanda are keeping the main fight on the ground with us, Clint and Tony, you guys get them from above. Bruce, you monitor our activity from in here and tell us if anything changes. There shouldn't be need for a Code Green." Steve summed up the plan before turning back towards where you and Peter were standing together. You were standing with an annoyed expression across your face, your arms crossed angrily while Peter was just happy he was going to be able to be in the field with the Avengers. "You two remember what you're doing?" He asked the question on purpose, just to make you repeat it.

"Keep our distance, take care of the stragglers." You repeated flatly, Peter bouncing from excitement.

"Good. We're all on the same page." Tony clapped his hands together. "Let's go get this show on the road."

You kept Wanda from consoling you. You had too much on your mind, and as much as it might help, you didn't want her to pull forward some good memories, calm you down just enough that you would relax and not slowly tear yourself apart for what happened to Peter.

Because this was on you.

If it wasn't for you, Peter's aunt wouldn't be crying, waiting for her nephew to wake up. Tony wouldn't be pulling his hair out, finding ways to blame himself for Peter getting hurt. The rest of the team wouldn't be standing in the same room in different clumps, giving each other space, in silence, thinking about the chance that this could possibly be the time Peter didn't wake up.

That this could be the day they lost a member of their team.

"This is stupid." You grumbled to yourself as you kicked a man in the gut; the only person you've encountered the entire mission, sending him backwards to where Spider-Man knocked him out with one solid punch, webbing him to the ground so when he woke up he wouldn't go anywhere.