Chapter 111

Chapter One Hundred and Eleven

We were screwed.

Royally screwed.

"You broke the fucking wall."

Oh, boy, yep, we were screwed six ways to Sunday with a toothbrush up the ass--Sebastian was pissed, his voice was chilling and cold, dripping with venom and barely leashed rage. 

I shuffled awkwardly on my hooves while Echo glanced between me and my dad, who was standing with his head bowed, equally as tense. Jak looked about as nervous as I was feeling since Bash had been waiting for us when we finally made our way back to the house.

I could only stand there and try not to fidget under his glare as he stood looming like a tower of bad temper at the top of the porch stairs, arms folded and his boot-clad foot tapping the wood like an angry mother waiting to scold her children. He raised a bushy eyebrow at the silence, and I noticed offhandedly that Spots of black dye were still splattered on his cheeks.

The sudden death stare prompted my father to clear his throat.

"Yes. I did," he admitted, trying to sound calmer than he was. "I won't deny it."

Sebastian's eye twitched a few times. "Jak... you blew a hole in the bedroom wall."

"I... yes. I did."

"Right after the previous hole just got fixed."

"I..." my dad faltered, nervous. "Okay, yes, but in my defense, Horst was--"

"Jakhroth," Sebastian lowly growled. "You know what my rules are."

Dread flooded through me and I started shivering a little. It felt like we were in a courtroom being tried for some horrible crime, and for all I knew, we were. It wasn't an every day thing that this man got this pissed about something, so we'd royally fucked up if he was.

"Y... yes. I do," my dad eventually got out, awkward and reluctant. "Don't worry, I'll accept whatever punishment you give me without complaint. I wasn't thinking... I just needed to get him out... I needed to pull him away so we could have privacy, so I could... so we could..."

He trailed off, hand extending to touch my arm. 

I saw Bash's eyes flick to the contact, and while they did dim from their hellish molten yellow to his regular grumpy-looking amber, the stony expression on his face didn't change. He lifted his foot and began to descend the porch stairs, menacing and unfriendly and very intimidating to all three of us standing on the gravel.

My pulse skipped when he moved forward.

Me, Echo, and my dad all cringed a bit, bracing ourselves as he raised his arms, palms flat, as if he were about to whack the shit out of us. I squeezed my eyes shut, expecting a powerful, head-knocking slap... but all I got was the gentlest sensation of a hand falling on my hair.

I opened my eyes when he roughly mussed up my curls and hesitantly peeked at him.

My father's head was being rubbed, too, and he looked equally bewildered.

"Good job, Idiots," Sebastian grunted, glancing between us with much softer features. "I'm proud of you two for finally knocking down that wall. You've hit a real breakthrough this time."

My dad goggled at him, mouth falling open as his head was petted. Not that I was reacting any better, considering I was currently withdrawing my head into my neck like a turtle due to the fact that I had no fucking idea where this sudden streak of affection was coming from.