Chapter 87*

Chapter Eighty Seven

I woke out of a dead sleep with a jolt because I could feel someone's eyes on me. Even before I opened my own, I knew I was being watched.

'Wake up,' a familiar, very deep voice rumbled.

"Why?" I raspily demanded, rolling over with a flash and sitting up, hair flying into my face. I rubbed my eyes and looked around, but to my surprise the room was empty. I sat there in a sleepy stupor for a moment, wondering if I'd been imagining things. "Hello?"

For the longest time there was no response.

I glanced at the holoclock on the night stand and saw that it was nine in the evening. I frowned, realizing that nobody had come to get me for lunch, and rubbed my eyes again, trying to turn my groggy brain on. However, I froze in place when a strange, cold pulse of something went through my chest like a wave of icy blood rushing from my heart.

Every strand of hair and fur on my body stood up when the air rippled and distorted.

"Horst," Huang's voice growled, and I raised my eyes to see him standing in my room without a shirt, long hair drifting weightlessly around his body, blue eyes sharp and angry. I froze when he moved towards me, flickering like an old film, and wiggled his finger at me in the universal gesture of 'come here.'

"Huang?" I asked; I was about to ask what he was doing in my room and why he looked so weird with his hair floating around and shit, but his pupils shrank into aggressive slits and he snapped a clawed finger to his lips, warning me to stay silent, so I closed my mouth.

"Do not say a word," he commanded, glaring me down. "If you must respond, do so silently. I am connected to you through my breath, and right now I am astral projecting to you. I must tell you something, and you must hear it and keep it in your head at all times."

His lips didn't move. His face remained stony.

I stared at him as chills ran down my back, realizing he was speaking in my head.

'Okay,' I silently replied, and he inclined his head. 'What do you have to say?'

His sapphire eyes flashed and narrowed at me.

"Remember who you truly are, as well as who you are not," he silently commanded, and I was hit with a flashback of the dream I'd had of him in dragon form, curled around me. "Remember this. Do not forget it. If you wish to speak to me, I will be waiting for you tonight in the music room, but I will not answer any of your questions about the future."

With that, he vanished into thin air.

I let out the breath I didn't know I'd been holding and exhaled heavily.

Only, I didn't have even a second to breathe because I heard a piteous wail and thumping footsteps pounding towards my door.

"Hoooorst!" Kip's voice whined, and I jumped when he threw the door open, revealing that, to my actual amusement and immediate laughter, he was wearing a frilly pink dress with lace hems and pastel ribbons clipped into his hair. "Horst! Get me the hell out of this thing!"

"Um, okay?" I cackled, shaking my head as I swung my legs over the edge of the bed; I realized immediately that they were back to normal and touched my ear, pulling it out and stretching it in front of my face so I could peek at it. Sure enough, downy svelte fur met my eyes. I let it go and stood up, straightening my rumpled clothes as Kip struggled with the ribbons.

"Can you please hurry?" he complained, and I chuckled again.

"How did you even end up in a dress?" I asked, pulling the clips out of his close-cropped locks before turning him around and unzipping the back. "Who put you in this?"