Chapter 99

Chapter Ninety Nine

Kat was silent for nearly the whole drive back to the campus apartments. Not that I really blamed her since anyone would have been pretty jarred to learn they were a potential target of malicious supernatural creatures. I did catch her looking at me a few times, though, and despite choosing not to comment on her glances they bothered me.

It was when we were only fifteen minutes away from the university that she spoke.

"So," she said softly. "Vampires attacked the mansion, huh?"

"Yes," I replied just as quietly, not looking away from the road I was driving down. There were a ton of cars and I needed to pay attention, but I could feel my ears fluttering nervously. "It was an extremely bad attack, too, to be perfectly honest with you. If the dragons hadn't intervened the way they did... a lot of the people would have died. Including me and my dad."

She went rigid. 

"It was that bad?" she whispered. "What happened?"

I clenched my jaw for a second. "I don't wanna talk about it, but I will say this. The group that attacked us is massive and they were after Richard Hinton. He's the short, grumpy bald guy with the black beard and the farmer's tan. The one who's always dressed in leather and jeans."

"You mean the older-looking guy who's dating Kyle?" she asked, and I raised an eyebrow, surprised she knew his name. "Um... that ginger kid's name is Kyle, right?" 

"Yeah, but he's not a kid, he's in his mid forties," I snorted, tightening my grip as my thoughts, once again, turned to Yuma. My entire mood blackened and I felt a spurt of bloodlust rush through me, electrifying my nerves and clouding my head. "Listen, Kat... just focus on staying indoors at night and stay near other people during the day. We'll handle the rest."

"How can you be so sure?" she questioned, chewing on her lip. "You guys made it sound like this is gonna wind up being some sort of apocalyptic level thing. I feel like I'm living through a movie right now and I don't like it, I've seen how most horror movies end!"

That pulled me out of my bubbling rage just enough for me to crack a reluctant grin.

"So have I," I drawled, wagging my brows. "Luckily, though, if I had to classify our lives as a genre for a movie, it wouldn't be horror, it'd definitely be a supernatural drama."

She was quiet for a second, but then--

"More like romance," she murmured, looking out the window. "You're the hero... Echo's your bae... and I'm just the sidekick who lives next door."

I scowled. "Stop that."

"Sorry," she sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. "I'm... I'm just scared, and upset, and I don't want to be alone right now."

"You won't be," I snorted, flitting my gaze across the turn leading onto campus. I tugged on the steering wheel and drove onto the pristine asphalt path, clenching as the car was jostled by the speed bumps as we entered the university's property line. I wriggled a bit, then relaxed, setting my right arm on the armrest between us. "Renee is going to be staying with you today."

"No offense, but that doesn't make me feel very safe," Kat muttered, and I blinked before casting her a momentary frown. "I mean, yeah, I get that she's a werewolf and all but that woman is just as skittish as an abused cat. I've tried to make conversations with her when we bump into each other in the hall and she completely shies away from me, like she's afraid I'll deck her."

"Really?" I asked, startled. "She really behaves that way?"

"Yep," Kat sighed, leaning back and staring at the fabric covering the car ceiling. "I don't know what her deal is but if somebody actually broke in... well, she'd probably be the one cowering in the corner while I'd be the one trying to fight off the intruder with a frying pan."